cannot install because of no service pack 2

I can't install the newer versions of paint.net(and I know i could a long while back) because during installation, it says to get service pack 2. I modified my registry to appear like service pack 2, and now it's stopping and failing at installation of .net framework 4.7.2.

Since Paint.NET is intended to be a lightweight and simple improvement over Paint, does it really warrant the use of the services of .net framework 4.7.2? Can't you allow us to download an older version or a minimal version which does not offer these extra features? 

45 minutes ago, CodeDmitry said:

does it really warrant the use of the services of .net framework 4.7.2?

It Does.

https://blog.getpaint.net/2017/10/23/paint-net-4-0-20-and-net-4-7/

45 minutes ago, CodeDmitry said:

Can't you allow us to download an older version ...

No one here is stopping you. If you want to download and use an older version, you are free to do so. However, support for older version is not offered here on the forum.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

With an older version of PDN there are some old plugins you can still download which work which may not do so on the more recent ones because they haven't been updated. It may not be an issue at all depending on what you want PDN to be able to do.

I have a WinXP SP3 installation with PDN v3.5.3 which is is either the last or penultimate version which worked without any problems on WinXP. It is still VERY usable despite not supporting some updated plugins.

The old versions of PDN are still easily found, Google is your friend, at least in this case. :)

" Paint.NET is intended to be a lightweight and simple improvement over Paint,........". Dammed with faint praise; it is much more than that.   

IHaveNoName.png

3 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

with PDN v3.5.3 which is is either the last or penultimate version which worked without any problems on WinXP.

That would be v3.5.11.

• Like 1

Find, download, and install SP-3. (XP-32)

If XP-64,  "  "  '"                            SP-2

I run PDN 3.5x  on XP-64, went online to install it, "unplugged cat 5 cable" Been offline for 5 years, no anti-virus etc, PDN works flawlessly!! <- XP-64 with 8 gigs ram)

Have it on W-10, (latest version at time), truly dont like it.

(D-L plugins, etc, etc, with this computer. Anti-v scan & move with thumb drive)

Edited by cornemuse
feng shui

'Where's my plinth?'

I modified my registry to appear like service pack 2

You're doing it wrong ... and you're probably going to break a lot of things.

Also, it sounds like you're trying to get a really old version of Paint.NET to work, since the latest version doesn't support any OS that can have an SP2 applied to it.

We really can't help you -- you've hacked your OS to look like something it isn't so you can avoid installing something that will actually make things better (I will never understand this mentality), and we don't support older versions of Paint.NET anyway. At all.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg