paint.net 4.1 is now available!

This update converts some effects to use the GPU for rendering, resulting in huge performance gains. Copy/Paste can now be performed on selections, Bicubic resampling is now available for the Move Selected Pixels tool, and there are lots of little quality-of-life improvements and general bug fixes.

If you’re using the Windows Store release, you should get the update automatically within the next few days.

For the Classic release, you can use the built-in updater by going to ⚙ Settings → Updates → Check Now. You can also download it directly from the website.

Thanks to @BoltBait and @toe_head2001 for their contributions in this release!

Here’s a quick overview of some of the bigger changes:

• GPU-powered Effects! Some of the effects have been rewritten to use Direct2D's image processing system, and the results are phenomenal for performance. Gaussian Blur is actually fast now and no longer takes ages to complete for large images or radii, and the same goes for both Motion Blur and Radial Blur (although Radial Blur does currently need a pretty powerful GPU). A few other effects were converted for the sake of completeness and for my own learning, and there are two new ones (Morphology and Turbulence). This is where most of my time (the aforementioned "last 7 months") and sweat was spent: getting a GPU-based effect rendering system up and running end-to-end was no small feat! Expect to see more effects converted over to the GPU in subsequent updates as this tech matures. I am also planning to make the GPU available for plugins to use in a future update.

image.png

• Copy/Paste for Selections. You can now copy the active selection to the clipboard, as well as paste from the clipboard to the active selection (all selection combine modes are supported). This copies only the selection, not the pixels that are within the selection. You can then apply the selection to another layer or image, or just save it for later. Because the selection is copied to the clipboard as JSON text, you can use external utilities to maintain them or even do processing on them (you aren't limited to Paint.NET's built-in selection operations, in other words). For example: if you want to save and reuse 5 selections, just open up 5 copies of Notepad and use them as a storage buffer. You can also use Paste Selection when a regular image is on the clipboard: if the image is from Paint.NET, the embedded selection will be used, otherwise the image's size will be converted to a selection (a rectangle anchored to x=0,y=0 with the same width and height as the image). More formal documentation for the data format will be available soon.

image.png

• Bicubic resampling for the Move Selected Pixels tool. This can produce much higher quality results than Bilinear resampling. It is very CPU-intensive, so a fast CPU with 6+ cores is highly recommended if you plan to use it a lot. The default is still Bilinear, so if you'd prefer to always use Bicubic you can change it from Settings -> Tools.

image.png

• New +/- buttons for Tolerance and Hardness. This is a great quality-of-life improvement, especially for the Magic Wand when you're trying to find just the right value for Tolerance.

image.png

Change log since 4.0.21:

• Improved: Gaussian Blur, Motion Blur, and Radial Blur now render using the GPU and are significantly faster
  • Changed: The following effects are now rendered using the GPU: Edge Detect, Pixelate, and Relief
  • Changed: The following adjustments are now rendered using the GPU: Black & White, Invert Colors
  • New Effect: Distort -> Morphology (uses the GPU)
  • New Effect: Render -> Turbulence (uses the GPU)
  • New: Bicubic resampling is now supported for the Move Selected Pixels tool. A CPU with 6 or more cores is highly recommended if you want to make it the default mode from within Settings -> Tools.
  • New: Edit -> Copy Selection. This will copy the current selection's geometry to the clipboard as JSON text.
  • New: Edit -> Paste Selection. This will apply the selection from the clipboard to the current selection. All 5 selection combine modes are supported.
  • Changed: The Text tool now uses Points for font size measurement. You can also elect to use the old font size metric, "Fixed (96 DPI)" via the dropdown to the right of the font size.
  • Fixed: The Text tool's recentering algorithm when typing reaches the edge of the viewport should be better
  • New: Added +/- buttons to the Tolerance and Hardness sliders.
  • Changed: Increased max zoom level to 6400%
  • New: The mouse wheel may now be used to scroll a long menu, such as when a lot of effects are installed (thanks @toe_head2001!)
  • Changed: For Windows 7 SP1 users, the Platform Update from 2013 is now required (it contains Direct2D v1.1)
  • Fixed: The "Finish" button wasn't working if it was in an overflow container (thanks @toe_head2001!)
  • Fixed: Opening certain large images and then zooming with the mouse wheel would sometimes result in the scroll position being completely wrong
  • Changed: Hiding a layer no longer auto-selects the nearest visible layer. You can re-enable this in Settings, although this setting may be removed in a future version.
  • New: For the Windows Store release, the paintdotnet: protocol can now be used to launch the app so that you can specify command-line parameters. For example, you can go to Start -> Run and type in paintdotnet:"path to file1.png" path_to_file_2.png then both images will be opened (even if Paint.NET is already open)
  • New: Added Heptagon (7-sided polygon) and Octagon (8-sided polygon) shapes
  • Fixed the high-DPI inset-text scaling for the Shape selector (e.g. Pentagon with an inset "5")
  • New: Palettes are now also loaded from Documents/paint.net App Files/Palettes. This folder name is not localized so that installation scripts may easily make use of it
  • Fixed: View -> Pixel Grid will now correctly adjust to dynamic changes in the theme (light vs. dark)
  • Fixed: The background color for the Tolerance slider has been corrected for non-dark themes
  • Changed: Removed shortcut keys for all built-in Adjustments except for Invert Colors (Ctrl+Shift+I). This is being done to free up shortcut keys for other functionality.
  • New: Added a shortcut key to trigger a full .NET garbage collection: Ctrl+Alt+Shift+` (tick/tilde). This should only ever be needed for troubleshooting purposes.
  • New: Battery Saver Mode in Windows 10 is now respected, whether enabled manually or due to low battery. UI animations will be disabled.
  • New: Long file paths (>MAX_PATH) are now supported on Windows 10, as long as the group policy setting is enabled ("Enable Win32 long paths")
  • New for plugin developers: The IndirectUI Color Wheel control now supports an alpha slider. To use this, set the range (min/max values) of the Int32PropertyControl to [Int32.MinValue, Int32.MaxValue] (thanks @BoltBait!)
  • New for plugin developers: there is a new FileChooser property control type for string properties (thanks @toe_head2001!)
  • New for plugin developers: there is a new BinaryPixelOp.Apply(Surface, Surface, Surface, Rectangle) method overload (thanks @BoltBait!)
  • Changed: The IndirectUI text control now has a vertical scroll bar when multiline mode is enabled (thanks @toe_head2001!)
  • Changed: Visual C++ and OpenMP runtimes are now only loaded from the "app local" copy (never from the system directory). This fixes a number of headaches, and also works around a compatibility issue with the Surface Go
  • Fixed: Crash when drag-and-dropping images onto Paint.NET when a tool was active but with uncommitted changes
  • Fixed a very old and nasty crash, "InvalidOperationException: ScratchSurface already borrowed"

Enjoy!

• Like 3
  • Upvote 6

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

<3 Dear @Rick Brewster and Sir @BoltBait!

I have Windows 7, no longer give update. 
Currently using Paint 4.0.21
I would like to update Paint 4.1, there is a problem:
I have to download additional programs. 
Why, I didn't understand that.
I will be happy if you could explain this to me.

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png

3 minutes ago, Seerose said:

<3 Dear @Rick Brewster and Sir @BoltBait!

I have Windows 7, no longer give update. 
Currently using Paint 4.0.21
I would like to update Paint 4.1, there is a problem:
I have to download additional programs. 
Why, I didn't understand that.
I will be happy if you could explain this to me.

For Windows 7 SP1 users, the Platform Update from 2013 is now required (it contains Direct2D v1.1)

Back in 2013, Microsoft released an update for Windows 7 called "Platform Update".  It contains a Direct2D library which is required for Paint.NET v4.1.

You can download it here: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/2670838/platform-update-for-windows-7-sp1-and-windows-server-2008-r2-sp1

Hope this helps!

• Like 1

If you have Windows Update enabled, which you should, you should already have that (the Platform Update). You'd only be missing it if you've disabled that; it's not something you usually have to manually install, in other words.

Download -x64 if you have 64-bit Windows, or -x86 if you have 32-bit Windows. If you're not sure, get both and the wrong one will just decline to let you install it.

• Like 1

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

This makes me sad and has slowed me down so much.

So often I would use the shortcuts for 

Black & White, Brightness/Contrast, Curves and Hue/Saturation.

On 9/6/2018 at 8:17 AM, Rick Brewster said:

This is being done to free up shortcut keys for other functionality.

Would it not have been possible to create more shortcut keys?

Black & White and also Brightness/Contrast: Alt + A then press B until the effect is highlighted then press Enter.

I have a few plugins installed starting with B, so for me it's Alt A, B, B Enter for Black & White and Alt A, B, B, B, B Enter for Brightness/Contrast. It will be the same combination each time unless you add or remove some in-between plugins.

Curves: Alt + A then press C until the effect is highlighted then press Enter. If, like me, you have many plugins starting with C installed, just click the menu entry.

Hue/Saturation: Alt + A then press H until the effect is highlighted then press Enter.

It should be entirely possible to record keyboard macros and assign them to any key combination you like.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Dazzahh said:

Would it not have been possible to create more shortcut keys?

No. There are only so many keys on the keyboard -- I can't add more of them, unfortunately.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

12 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

No. There are only so many keys on the keyboard -- I can't add more of them, unfortunately.

I know nothing about the programming, but it seems counterintuitive to take away shortcuts, especially ones that have been around for as long as those have. I could understand if they had been swapped so those combinations of buttons would now do something else, but they don't.

How many shortcuts are there? I can't see that many in the menus.

Using combinations of CTRL, Shift, Alt and A-Z there has to be more than a few hundred available.

Edited by Dazzahh

On 9/8/2018 at 11:42 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Curves: Alt + A then press C until the effect is highlighted then press Enter. If, like me, you have many plugins starting with C installed, just click the menu entry.

Alt+A did something I have never seen before, See the attached screenshot, I have a magnifying box appear, what is the purposeof that?

I figured out what you mean though, I have to press Alt then A to bring up the adjustments menu then cycle through the functions with repeated keystrokes. To get to Curves I need to press C 5 times. 

SCrGr-1.png

Edited by Dazzahh
update

6 minutes ago, Dazzahh said:

Alt+A did something I have never seen before, what is happening here? See the attached screenshot, I have a magnifying box appear. 

Other than the magnifier, I see nothing out of the ordinary. Can you be more specific to what we should be looking at within the screenshot?

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

2 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

Can you be more specific

As stated, this is something have never seen before.

I was wondering if there was anything this would do other than just magnifying a very small area.

I can't see any purpose in that tool, and I wasn't sure if all it was, was a magnifier.

2 minutes ago, Dazzahh said:

I was wondering if there was anything this would do other than just magnifying a very small area.

I can't see any purpose in that tool, and I wasn't sure if all it was, was a magnifier. 

Oh, do you think that magnifier is part of paint.net? It is not. It's coming from a different program on your computer.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

On 9/5/2018 at 8:17 PM, Rick Brewster said:

Changed: Removed shortcut keys for all built-in Adjustments except for Invert Colors (Ctrl+Shift+I). This is being done to free up shortcut keys for other functionality.

Absolute dealbreaker! ? 

I don't think I can put into words how negatively this impacts my workflow with PDN, and since there's no shortcut editor it means I'll be stuck on 4.0.X for the foreseeable future. ?