How to Install Plugins ×

Content Aware Fill (2023-04-30)

null54

Thanks so much for this plugin! It works a treat, using it for removing multiple dust spots and blemishes in old photos.

The only criticism (and this really only applies to my particular application as described) is that the make selection/select menu option from menu is a bit cumbersome for removing multiple items (unless I'm missing something). If you take a look at the Pixel E online editor it has a heal brush which works in a very similar way but requires no selection, you just chose a brush size and click on the blemish which is very quick. I'd really like both options I think!

Thanks Again, donation on it's way.

• null54 changed the title to Content Aware Fill (2021-06-24)

Release version 1.4.4.

Changes:

Fixed a race condition crash when the effect UI is closed.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• 9 months later...
1 hour ago, ReMake said:

CAF.jpg

Can you post the diagnostics info from Settings -> Diagnostics? After the error has occurred (to make sure any relevant DLLs are loaded)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

44 minutes ago, Rick Brewster said:

After the error has occurred (to make sure any relevant DLLs are loaded)

I found the cause of the crash. This is the file MSVCRT.dll, located in the effects folder. After removing it, the problem is fixed.

• 7 months later...

Wow, now this is impressive. Each time I think I've seen it all I stumble upon another plugin that pushes paint.net's boundaries even further. Thank you so much for sharing.

Just a quick note from a new user's point of view. Upon first using the tool I couldn't understand why it seemed like nothing was happening and why pressing OK or even Cancel wouldn't close the dialog box, turns out it was just taking a really, really long time to render the changes(I made way too big of a selection). If you ever update this in the future perhaps just a small string of text saying (Rendering...) inside the loading bar would help other newbies out like myself that are unsure of what's happening because I definitely thought I had broken the plugin at first since no buttons were working.

I think the confusion at first was also exacerbated by the fact that I'm used to seeing plugins or other effects utilize PDN's built-in loading bar at the bottom of the screen.

2 hours ago, thesammy58 said:

If you ever update this in the future perhaps just a small string of text saying (Rendering...) inside the loading bar would help other newbies out like myself that are unsure of what's happening because I definitely thought I had broken the plugin at first since no buttons were working.

Unfortunately, it is not easy to add embedded text to a Windows Forms progress bar.

I experimented with changing the progress bar style to a marquee while the effect is initializing, but that made the progress appear to jump backwards.

It also does not solve the issue of the progress bar not moving for a long time.

2 hours ago, thesammy58 said:

I think the confusion at first was also exacerbated by the fact that I'm used to seeing plugins or other effects utilize PDN's built-in loading bar at the bottom of the screen.

Paint.NET does not currently allow its effect plugins to have manual control of the progress bar. Hopefully a future version will allow that.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

2 hours ago, null54 said:

Unfortunately, it is not easy to add embedded text to a Windows Forms progress bar.

How about StatusStrip with ProgressBar and Label or just Label?

Edited by otuncelli

3 hours ago, BoltBait said:

During the encoding it pops up it's own loading bar.

I will take a look at that, thanks.

2 hours ago, otuncelli said:

How about StatusStrip with ProgressBar and Label or just Label?

I will probably just switch the progress bar to use the marquee/indeterminate mode, that is the simplest solution.

On larger selections the resynthesizer algorithm could appear to be stuck for a while.

The progress is calculated as a double, but depending on the number of samples that need to be processed it may take a long time for the integer progress percentage to change.

PdnSig.png

• null54 changed the title to Content Aware Fill (2022-12-07)
  • 1 month later...
4 hours ago, radsdau said:

Found a possible bug, posted here. Thanks.

Confirmed.

I posted in the paint.net 5.0 beta (build 8407) thread with more details.

I think this is a regression in paint.net 5.0, it works without issue in paint.net 4.3.12.

PdnSig.png

On 1/8/2023 at 2:54 PM, radsdau said:

Okay I think this is fixed for the next update. Thanks for reporting this!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

4 hours ago, jjkkjjkk said:

maybe i am doing it wrong, can someone give me the steps of how to use content aware fill. i am new to paint.net

Which version of paint.net are you using?   

4 hours ago, jjkkjjkk said:

or is there a newer version of the plugin, i maybe be using an older version from 2018

The latest showing in the Plugin Index is dated 2018.  (Note - if the plugin gets updated after the initial creation in 2018, it will be in the Plugin's thread.)

What are you expecting the plugin to do?  You have to use a selection of your image, then run it.  It replaces pixels around the selection.

i.e. on this image it's removed the right eyebrow:

Content-aware.png

• Upvote 1

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

15 minutes ago, Pixey said:

The latest showing in the Plugin Index is dated 2018.

The Plugin index date is when the plugin was first published, it uses the date the the forum topic was created.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png