Create Opalescent Stained Glass

lynxster4

Late to the party I see :lol: Congratulations to the pin, Lynxster! 

Here's my go, combined it with the crystalize effect from your hammered glass in your gallery. 

Stained%20Glass_zps4htdmwrd.png

• Upvote 6

Oh, because I am allergic to things I do not want to do. *Cough*

- Michael J. Caboose

Limon, how wonderful! That is so good!  I want to put it in my dining room somehow. (I have a Tuscan theme going on with grapes.)    :)

And.....7073.gif

Hello again! hi.gif

I believe my preliminary test doesn't look opalescent, or stained, or even mildly glassy, but I thought I would show it anyway until I can lay my hands on the tutorial again. In short, I can't claim I succeeded at following the tutorial because my PC suffered a freeze while I was at it, so I can't quite remember everything I did in order to get to this indeterminate result JC_thinking.gif

Dohko_s_Tiger_Tattoo_Opalescent_Stained_

• Upvote 2

Hello again! hi.gif

I believe my preliminary test doesn't look opalescent, or stained, or even mildly glassy, but I thought I would show it anyway until I can lay my hands on the tutorial again. In short, I can't claim I succeeded at following the tutorial because my PC suffered a freeze while I was at it, so I can't quite remember everything I did in order to get to this indeterminate result JC_thinking.gif

@Max....I think if the 'lead' lines of the picture were done a little differently, it would look more like stained glass.  (Make them thicker and more prominent.)    Yes?     :)

Otherwise, it is a great attempt.    ;)     Nice tiger pic....

That's interesting. I did not know that Gradient Bars were for. This kind of color shading is something I should look forward to because I  thought of a stained glass artwork even before I saw this thread.

If I had enough effort, I could use this to create some mythical, angelic or religious stained glass artwork.

I haven't made enough action on PDN recently.

Thanks Lynxster.

That's interesting. I did not know that Gradient Bars were for. This kind of color shading is something I should look forward to because I  thought of a stained glass artwork even before I saw this thread.

If I had enough effort, I could use this to create some mythical, angelic or religious stained glass artwork.

I haven't made enough action on PDN recently.

Thanks Lynxster.

Hi Ishi...nice to see you back!    :)    Gradient Bars are just another method to use. They happen to look good for the 'streaky' stained glass effect.  Give it a go!  Thank you!     :D

Nice tutorial. I may try it out. Is it possible to convert it to a pdf format?

Hi mackenzieh!   I've attached a pdf to the first post.  Thank you for the kind words.  Try it!    :)

Hi mackenzieh!   I've attached a pdf to the first post.  Thank you for the kind words.  Try it!    :)

I have tried this tutorial twice and twice PDN has crashed on me. It's never crashed on me before.

Edited by mackenzieh

I have tried this tutorial twice and twice PDN has crashed on me. It's never crashed on me before.

This tutorial is known to cause PDN to crash. It's an 'insufficient memory' problem. It has crashed on me several times. It'a a labor-intensive tut and you have to work on each piece of 'glass' separately to achieve the proper effect.  I simply save my work frequently.    :)

This tutorial is known to cause PDN to crash. It's an 'insufficient memory' problem. It has crashed on me several times. It'a a labor-intensive tut and you have to work on each piece of 'glass' separately to achieve the proper effect.  I simply save my work frequently.    :)

Oh, okay. I will try the tutorial again and save my work often. I even tried it MJW's way and it still crashed.

Edited by mackenzieh

Oh, okay. I will try the tutorial again and save my work often. I even tried it JMW's way and it still crashed.

Yes, even MJW's way crashes it. But maybe stick to that method, as you're only working on one layer of 'glass'. When I did my original waterlily, I had every piece of glass on it's own layer and it got pretty confusing real quick...not to mention the crashes!  Good luck!    :)

**I am a bit distressed that this tutorial crashes PDN, but I have no solution for this**

Edited by lynxster4

Yes, even MJW's way crashes it. But maybe stick to that method, as you're only working on one layer of 'glass'. When I did my original waterlily, I had every piece of glass on it's own layer and it got pretty confusing real quick...not to mention the crashes!  Good luck!    :)

**I am a bit distressed that this tutorial crashes PDN, but I have no solution for this**

I think MJW's way is fast and it cuts down on the layers. PDN just seems to crash. :)

Edited by mackenzieh

I can see why the method that uses a layer for each glass section crashes due to lack of memory, since it must simultaneously allocate a lot of memory.  I don't understand why the method that uses one layer for all the glass sections crashes. While there's a lot of memory allocation involved, since Gaussian Blur (Clamped) allocates a temporary surface, the memory is no longer referenced at the end of each step, so the garbage collector should be able to reclaim it if memory runs low.

(For those who prefer the method that uses a separate layer for the glass sections, I think they should be able to immediately merge them into a combined layer at the end of each step, instead of waiting till the end to merge all the glass layers.)

I can see why the method that uses a layer for each glass section crashes due to lack of memory, since it must simultaneously allocate a lot of memory.  I don't understand why the method that uses one layer for all the glass sections crashes. While there's a lot of memory allocation involved, since Gaussian Blur (Clamped) allocates a temporary surface, the memory is no longer referenced at the end of each step, so the garbage collector should be able to reclaim it if memory runs low.

(For those who prefer the method that uses a separate layer for the glass sections, I think they should be able to immediately merge them into a combined layer at the end of each step, instead of waiting till the end to merge all the glass layers.)

Sorry I got your initials transposed, MJW!  I was typing fast (I'm at work).  

I read a thread not too long ago on how PDN uses memory....and I'm not saying I totally understand it, but using your method I thought would stop the crashes. I've crashed it myself many times fooling around with this stained glass stuff. At some point when I would go to the next step on a piece of 'glass' I would get the error message "invalid parameter" or "parameter not valid", then PDN would close. All my crash reports say insufficient memory.  This is way beyond me, so I just save frequently; like after every step, when I'm doing stained glass pics.   BTW...I do merge layers much more often now; all those layers were making my head spin!

Thank you for the input, MJW!     :)

MJW, that was my fault. I got your initials transposed when I wrote the post. Sorry about that. :)

Edited by mackenzieh

This is my attempt: [

Nice try, mackenzieh!  Looks good.    :)     I see you opted to use something other than the gradient bars, which gives you a more uniform look.   Good job!!     :mtdew:  :cake:

Nice try, mackenzieh!  Looks good.    :)     I see you opted to use something other than the gradient bars, which gives you a more uniform look.   Good job!!     :mtdew:  :cake:

Actually, I did use the gradient bars. It's the gaussaian blur clamped width that I had moved up a bit. :) Thanks!

No problem about the transposed initials. I hardly noticed. I'm much more concerned that the single-glass-layer method crashes when I can't see why it would.

No problem about the transposed initials. I hardly noticed. I'm much more concerned that the single-glass-layer method crashes when I can't see why it would.

I haven't had a PDN crash until I started playing with the stained glass pics. If you ever figure anything out...let us know. Maybe Rick knows why....

On 24.3.2016 at 10:27 PM, Limon said:

On 30.3.2016 at 7:40 AM, Maximilian said:

Dear Limon and Maximilian!

The final result looks awesome!   :cake:  :mtdew:  Thank you so much.

Edited by Seerose
  • Upvote 1

Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.

Gandhi

mae3426x.png