Paint.NET v3.35 - now available!

This version has a new Posterize adjustment, Intersect selection mode, and dramatically faster selection editing performance (add, subtract, intersect). Oh, and the usual crop of miscellaneous bug fixes, of course!

You can get this update by using the built-in updater (Help menu -> "Check for Updates"), or by downloading it from the website at http://www.getpaint.net/ . The update process is very automated, so you won't need to worry about uninstalling your old version or anything -- it's all taken care of for you.

Changes:

· New: Posterize adjustment, by Ed Harvey.
    · New: Intersect selection editing mode.
    · Improved: Dramatically improved selection editing performance for the Add and Subtract modes (and also for Intersect). The performance used to be dependent on image size, and thus was often unusable on images larger than 1024x768 pixels. It is now dependent only on selection complexity (number of polygon edges) -- the improvement is generally between 3x and 1000x.
    · New: When holding Ctrl or Alt for a selection tool, the cursor now has a plus or minus indicator.
    · Changed: The canvas background is now a solid color instead of a gradient. The gradient was causing certain tone misjudgments related to bright versus dark colors.
    · Changed: Shortcut key for Sepia is now Ctrl+Shift+E. The shortcut for Posterize is now Ctrl+Shift+P.
    · Changed: Hotkeys for selection modes are now Left click for Replace, Control+Left click for Add (union), Alt+Left click for Subtract (difference), Ctrl+Left click for Intersect, and Ctrl+Right click for Invert (xor).
    · Changed: When using a selection mode other than "replace", it will now draw the selection outline so that you can see both the original and resulting selection areas. Before, it would only draw the resulting selection area outline, which made modes such as Intersect hard to use.
    · Fixed: The Resize dialog had some rounding errors with the "Maintain aspect ratio" feature, which caused a few discrepancies and even a spurious "out of memory" error.
    · Fixed: Some quirks with the Color Wheel control for IndirectUI-based effect plugins.
    · Fixed: Several miscellaneous and rare crashes.
    · Fixed: The installer would display a bizarre error if a "blank" install folder was attempted.
    · Fixed: The installer now only accepts absolute path locations, instead of relative ones. This fixes an ambiguity between where Paint.NET believes it is installing itself to, and the directory that Windows Installer actually uses.
    · Fixed: Sometimes pasting would result in a crash when certain types of malfored data were on the clipboard.
    · Fixed: It was possible to get around some of the protections imposed by the IndirectUI system. This was causing instability with some effect plugins such as "Fern Fractal".
    · Fixed: There were some issues with the implementation of "linked" sliders for effects based on IndirectUI.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Im on a administrator computer so it says I have to be an admin to download it :(

If you're having trouble installing/updating, please create a thread in the Troubleshooting section.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Im on a administrator computer so it says I have to be an admin to download it :(

If you're having trouble installing/updating, please create a thread in the Troubleshooting section.

I' am not sure if this will be under troubleshooting but when I updated paint.net it created 2 shortcut icons on my desktop. I tried to delete it but this is the error I receive:

Error deleting file or folder

Cannot delete file: Cannot read from the source file or disk.

Minimal annoyance but I figured it was a glitch in my system or the update.

I'm not realy sure if it belongs here, but i've a question..

If i download paint.NET i need to unzip it, but when i want to install a pop-up appears with the message:

There is wrongly acted in Paint.NET Setup Front-End and the programme must be closed. Our apologizes for the inconvenience.

(sorry for the bad English, i translated the message from Dutch to English, and my English isn't very good.. :))

EDIT: Ow, really sorry.. I didn't read the whole topic.. :S

I'll post it again in the Troubleshooting-section.. :)

Hi,

I use Paint.NET since this year's beginning and now I see slowly where the limits are.

One thing I miss is a pattern-function (I don't know if it's the right term). If I want a carbon-looking area I have to copy and paste till the area is filled. Is there a plugin that can help me with this problem? Because the procedure I use at the moment is not very effective.

I hope you can help me and tell me also where I've could asked this question in this forum to get more support.

Hi,

I use Paint.NET since this year's beginning and now I see slowly where the limits are.

One thing I miss is a pattern-function (I don't know if it's the right term). If I want a carbon-looking area I have to copy and paste till the area is filled. Is there a plugin that can help me with this problem? Because the procedure I use at the moment is not very effective.

I hope you can help me and tell me also where I've could asked this question in this forum to get more support.

You may want to pop into the Tutorials section to see if the procedure you described is outlined anywhere. I'm not entirely sure what you're trying to do, so that's my best advice.

Rick, thanks yet again for another great update. The updated hotkeys are especially helpful for me. :)

...am I able to (without re downloading it) update my other computer? Thanks
Can't you run the updater on that computer as well? If you are able to (as in, you are connected to the Internet and have the necessary administrator privileges), there is nothing stopping you.

If you are truly set against re-downloading on the computer, if you able to, download onto the laptop first and copy across the EXE to the computer, installing from that. You can use a disc, USB drive or connected network to do so, eliminating downloading on the computer.

Other than this, plus my previous suggestion, I see no other way of doing what you wish on the computer.

Now I have to click first another button to substract a part of the selection :/

No you don't. Alt+Left mouse button is subtract.

Is there a way to change and define your own shortcuts? Some plugins with shortcuts I'll never use and again other plugins as Outline Object and Align Object, I almost use in every picture.

• 3 weeks later...