How to Install Plugins ×

Shadow / Highlight Recovery v2.2 (2008-12-24)

Tanel

Slight problem with the control heights here:

tdue, I could not reproduce your problem under any circumstances. It must be a fault in your system.

Seeing the strange blue button sitting next to red close-button in your screenshot, I guess it's your graphics card's extended display functions not working well with your OS. Try disabling those functions if you don't desperately need them (nview, hydravision or whatever they call this piece of software).

Any chance of a source code for this amazing plug-in?

Yes, in some time.

Someone please help me. i have been using paintnet for a while now and usually have no problems with the plug ins. However this plug in will not work for me. i am not sure if there is something wrong with my computer or what. I can't open the zip file. I know it is supposed to be placed into the effects folder but it won't let me unzip it. i have spent hours trying to figure it out and would really appreciate some help. thanks

Is it asking you for a password to unzip it? If it is then the likelihood is that you're unzipping the file straight to your Paint.NET effects folder with Paint.NET still running, all you need to do is save anything you're working on in PdN & close it. Then the unzip should work, hope that helps. :)

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

I'm new to this and a total dumb :oops: ...where do I save or drop this file on my computer. I tried under effects and just in paint.net folder, but it isn't showing up on either one. I see that you have that it is under adjustments, but there isn't a folder for that. Please help. Thanks, Sarah

I'm new to this and a total dumb :oops: ...where do I save or drop this file on my computer. I tried under effects and just in paint.net folder, but it isn't showing up on either one. I see that you have that it is under adjustments, but there isn't a folder for that. Please help. Thanks, Sarah

Have you looked here? viewtopic.php?f=16&t=2023

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

I just wanted to add that the adjustments tab is where you will find the dll once you drop it in the effects folder of paint.net. This is located in local disk (C:)-program files. Then restart the program if it was running during the install of the dll. It is awesome, better than photoshop plugin, though a little slower. :)

• 2 weeks later...

It's amazing how well this plug-in works. Those example images are good demonstrations.

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

http://boltbait.googlepages.com/install

Check that out. It should help. :-)

In the future, try searching using searchpaint.net. Much quicker replies. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

I haven't yet tried this plugin but I have a few questions. How detailed do recovered photos actually become? Wouldn't brightening a dark portion of an image make it grainier? I was originally looking at your old post about HDR and tone mapping:

viewtopic.php?f=15&t=5570&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&hilit=hdr

Wouldn't this technique (using 3 different photos) be slightly better? By better I don't mean faster or easier but I think this method might be more detailed. If you have 3 equally detailed pictures at 3 different brightnesses, wouldn't using each picture's lightness merits end up with better detail?

Not really. Why don't you just try the plugin? You can see for yourself. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Wouldn't this technique (using 3 different photos) be slightly better? By better I don't mean faster or easier but I think this method might be more detailed. If you have 3 equally detailed pictures at 3 different brightnesses, wouldn't using each picture's lightness merits end up with better detail?

Well, I find the best result for pics is to first try the auto level feature. If this doesn't work try leveling manually. Then try shadow /highlight recovery. Sometimes this new tool will do funny things to the coloring of your picture, sometimes pushing the coloring so much it looks artifical. Also, if you have 256 ram or less on your comp, it works slow on a 5mp picture. Yes! Experiment! That is how we learn! :wink:

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...