Discussion-PDN free-handing Drawing Contest!Topic Updated!

oma which one is the entry? lol

the car was my first, the big old tank is just the biggest gun I could come up with to let you know I'm serious I better win! :lol:

just joking.

actually I think the next step from this competition which is just basic ms paint style would be to discuss how each of these pictures could be improved using certain effects. and don't confuse effects as being ta da we have plastic, or glass, or metal.

most of the effects still require an artistic sense. if I was to draw a rounded curve by hand my lines would be naturally feathered, or I would draw in tones of shading by using various pressures of pencil, this is what is achieved on the computor thru the blurs.

many of the effects are just the same as tools for drawing, and are put under effects as we can not change the tools bar.

afterall this is Paint.Net and is a big leap forward from ms paint. :wink:

i no what you mean oma, althought i no most effects are just short cuts to doing something people are already capable of doing, i think its interesting if people now how to do it instead of just using the effect. Like for instance, how many of you no how to make a gradient on MS paint? my guess is not as many as know the 'easy' way to make one on PDN, but in realitly to make a gradient on MS paint its really only aboug 5 steps apossed to the 1 on PDN.

japannese.jpg

Support Our Troops, End The War

Weeee!

A spaceship! :o

th_FreehandDrawingContest.png

Love that!

Only thing that I don't like is the fact that it isn't symmetrical...oh, and all the guns...;)

Here's my go:

th_ship_repro.png

^click^

Still a bit off, my friend ;)

Symmetrically? It's shouldn't be. I just drew one side and flipped it. Rotate/Zoon did the rest...

Edit:

There are some perspective anomalies...looks like that's the downside of working with Rotat/Zoom. :(

So someone else is having trouble with the rotate/zoom of layers...

viewtopic.php?f=12&t=2949&start=0&st=0&sk=t&sd=a

I would really like to comment on Madjik's car, but I fear that the mods would quickly feel compelled to delete my post for rampant rule breaking of the (**string of forbidden expletives**), repeatedly, unceasingly.

The detail and shading are .... hard to believe, especially after viewing the rules. You have my sincerest envy.

mastzg2.png

100% paint.net

One sad attempt at a sig, but it's all about the intellectual property rights anyways.

This is my proposal for clarifying contest rules, since unclear rules lead usually to confusion and (sometimes) to bloody conflicts.

1) You MUST create your picture from scratch: no photos, no stock images, no scans. This is what we mean when we say 100%PdN.

2) You CANNOT use any plugin.

3) You CANNOT open the Effects menu. (You may want to apply a stripe of black sticky tape on it to avoid unintentionally breaking this rule).

4) You CANNOT use Adjustments->Curves, since Gradients and Curves together are TOO powerful (this rule does not affect the Line/Curve tool).

Is this set of rules acceptable for the free-handing drawing contest? Or are they too soft?

If they will get approved by k.digennaro, and if I'll choose to participate, I'll refer to these rules. My personal opinion, however, is that a plugin such as Basic Antialias should be allowed, since antialiasing is not an "effect", but a way to overcome a limitation of digital imaging that tends to be "pixelated". Antialiasing is implicitly allowed by rules since it is included in many PdN tools. On the other hand it is true that everyone could claim to use his own plugin for a variety of reasons, and making an exception could lead to an endless diatribe on which plugin are admissible.

Bye

Pyjo.

I would really like to comment on Madjik's car, but I fear that the mods would quickly feel compelled to delete my post for rampant rule breaking of the (**string of forbidden expletives**), repeatedly, unceasingly.

The detail and shading are .... hard to believe, especially after viewing the rules. You have my sincerest envy.

I could publish the PDN after the contest (3.5Mo!)...

Shading are made with partial gradients (one color is tranparent) on a small selection.

I worked on 2000x1000 then enlarge to 6000x3000 then reduced to 800x400 to try to antialias...

Pyjo, i really like the list of rules your wrote, and i agree with you on the AA thing, since its not really an effect, Madjik, i guess i agree with the fact that the shading is a little hard to beleive but if you really did draw it with out effects very nice.

japannese.jpg

I wasn't being critical of his?/her? technique or making any allegations of impropriety ... I'm simply amazed at the individual's skill with the application ... notice the inclusion of *envy* in the prior post.

After viewing the dA gallery for him?/her?, I don't doubt the ability.

mastzg2.png

100% paint.net

One sad attempt at a sig, but it's all about the intellectual property rights anyways.

Pyjo, i really like the list of rules your wrote, and i agree with you on the AA thing, since its not really an effect, Madjik, i guess i agree with the fact that the shading is a little hard to beleive but if you really did draw it with out effects very nice.

My entry (and others) would have been even better with this basic AA!

As I said: shading are made with partial gradients (one color is tranparent) on a small selection.

I will make a tut on this (after the contest result)...

@Mastriani: he!

As further rule clarification, It may be useful to show an example of a forbidden procedure according to the rules I proposed:

NotAllowed.jpg

I think that, even if there is no photo in the final result, this picture should be considered as not admissible.

Bye,

Pyjo

My model:

porsche1.jpg

Then should I delete my entry?

Anyhow, I need at least a paper model, to be able to see/take the dimension properly, using my ruller, on my desktop...

Or I will first hand-draw on a paper (with mm grid) to find the shape I want to have, then report it in PDN.

These technics are different methods for the same result somehow...

You could see here pictures for a wheel from scratch:

01_wheel.png

@k.digennaro: I think you've forget the tyre need some thickness in your picture...

thanks Madjik, ya i was having a hard time with that for some reason..lol. i just decided to call it done for now and fix it later since ill only obsess over it lol. im working on a pixel building right now :P maybe ill give it the wheels some work after.

japannese.jpg

Anyhow, I need at least a paper model, to be able to see/take the dimension properly, using my ruller, on my desktop...

Or I will first hand-draw on a paper (with mm grid) to find the shape I want to have, then report it in PDN.

These technics are different methods for the same result somehow...

I'm not the owner of this constest, so I can only suggest rules. However my suggestion is that ANY pre-existent digital model should be avoided. In a free-handing drawing your hand should be free from the need of tightly following a model. You can make a pixel-by-pixel copy of a digital photo using only the color picker and the pencil tool, but this is a very boring activity that has nothing to do with creativity and artistic flair. Applying a grid on a photo and copying it in PdN is only a smarter way to do basically the same thing: the creative process remains at a very low level and, above all, the hand is not "free" as the title of the contest requires. (This doesn't mean that the ability of replicating an existing picture in PdN is not valuable at all. There may be a contest in which a picture is proposed and all participants try to rebuild it in PdN).

I actually think that also every kind of paper-based 2d models should be avoided, and only real-world 3d object should possibly be used as a model: evaluating proportions and creating the 2d artwork from the 3d model is up to the dot-net-painter ability. I know however that this rule will be considered too restrictive by most PdN users, and it in not realistic since it cannot be enforced in any way.

I therefore whish to suggest another way for managing this contest. After the deadline and before voting, participants will post some details about the techniques they used and publish some screenshots of the key points of their work-in-progress (every participant is implicitly assumed to be honest, of course). Then the voting process will take into account both the final result and the creativity expressed in the development of the picture.

I'm working on a project for this contest, but unfortunately I have very little time to spent with PdN this week. I hope to succeed in posting my picture before the deadline so that I'll have the chance to better explain what I mean with these proposed rules.

Bye

Pyjo.

Mmh... sorry I can't follow your thought. Copy Paste and layer management are allowed as long as what you copy/paste etc. is entierely planned, designed and crafted by you. The list of rules that specify which tools are allowed was yet published, and is now clear enough. What I am dealing of now is related to the mental process which is used to conceive the picture. If the hand is free, but the mind is constrained in a grid, the freedom of the hand is only apparent.

Everyone here is free to propose a contest in which only a specified list of tools and techiques is allowed. I intervened here with some proposal only because k.digennaro's initial rules seemed too vague to me.

Bye

Pyjo.