Monthly Skinning Competition Discussion -- #4 ended

Yeah yeah, I know. I wanted to eek out every tweak minute I could.

Work has been busy lately. I'm working on a site with a shopping cart and whatnot, and I got everything nice and pretty and such for the "go-live" date, which was supposed to be today, but the client decided Thursday night (one business days before the desired "live" date) that they wanted changes to the design they've had in front of them for the past three months... Naturally, the release got pushed back.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I'm lovin' those colors, CMD. Yummy!

That drop shadow under the main body (over the right-side column) adds a nice effect to it.

Very nice!

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Yeah, I'm not really happy with the breadth of the hue and saturation range of the colors, but I ran out of time to adjust them to be more uniform.

Also, just on a whim, I inverted the black behind the header, and it really looked good! I was so going to go with it, but I was seriously lacking for time...

Oh well. I still have the PDN, so I think I'll adapt this layout for The Sketchpad. I like how it looks, colors notwithstanding.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Well, now the question that presents itself is:

How do we want to hold voting? Polls won't work this time, since we have 12 entries, unless we were to split them up somehow.

We could have direct posting votes (sometimes leads to herd behavior), or there's PMs (sometimes leads to not voting behavior).

Or is there another way of which I have not thought?

~ Becoming the Archetype

Yeah, color is really something with which I must tinker before I'm really satisfied with it.

For instance, I've made a few Desktop wallpapers of Carrie Underwood. One of them took 11 revisions before I felt the color was acceptable. Still another: 22 revisions and I'm still not completely happy with how it looks.

I'm a tinkerer by nature. Unfortunately, I didn't leave myself enough time to tinker with the mock 'til I could get it looking like the vision in my head. What's up there is basically Final Version 6, Revision 2. Oh well, like I said, I still have the PDN. I can always change it later, just not for the competition. >_>

Regarding voting, I think I like barkbark's suggestion. Votes will be accepted via both direct posting and PMs. I'll open the voting later this evening. Please do not vote until I post in the submission topic with the voting guidelines.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I feel thats more exact, but heres my two cents:

How about rate an entry by a set criteria (categories). and rating it by 1-10? Then the highest points in the end win.

Some could be:

Look/eye candy

Organization

Usability

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

I think that's getting a little too in-depth. With so many categories and ratings, how would one determine the winner? It'd be possible for one mock to win in organization and feel and for another to win in graphics. Then, someone would have to make a determination as to which category is important. After all, this is a graphics forum, so maybe the winner in the graphics category would win. Then again, it's a website, so organization is key...

By the way, I've been working on my reprieve, a re-worked skin. I actually have two versions, one with a black header and one with a white header, and they both look 500 times better than that piece of thing I released last night. <_<

Seriously, I feel rather silly now that I look at what I put out there. I'm all like "Mr. Professional Designer guy," and even if I could vote for myself, I wouldn't...

I don't want people thinking I suck for too long, but I also don't want to sway any votes with an alteration elsewhere. I'll post both in the Pictorium once this MSC is completed.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I guess it is too in depth, but just for the sake of clarification, what I was saying was this:

User 1 scored:

category 1 - 5.4

category 2 - 8.1

category 3 - 6

Then add them up to show their total.

And we don't think you suck, CMD :wink:

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Well, as far as the in-depth rating, do you think that it would scare people off having so many things to rate? They'd have to rate all 12 mocks in all three categories...

That's... let's see... ... Well it's a lot of ratings. <_<

I dunno. I'll open the voting tonight. You guys (and I'm referring to all users, not just present company) have until then to leave your thoughts regarding the in-depth voting.

And Yata:

I know you guys don't think I suck (at least you'd better not.. :evil:), but I am seriously perturbed that that mock is going to go down in the annals of PDN forum history as my MSC#2 entry... I don't want to be remembered like that, man!

~ Becoming the Archetype

Alrighty, we're just doing the simple way, with encouragement to post the happy bits.

Get your vote on!

In the mean time, we should start talking about topics for the next one so we can start with the new month. I believe the plan was for Helio to begin running the comp again, but I can still get the discussion started! :wink:

~ Becoming the Archetype

from the MSC#2 competition thread[/url])":4f69f]Congratulations BuzzKill, you get my vote!

If I may inquire, how did you create the indented look for the navigation bar?

That indention came about while trying to make this tutorial work in PDN.

Oh, thanks for your vote! :)

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Oh, cool. I was just looking at that the other day! I'll have to figure it out.

I would have entered, but I missed the deadline. >_< I'll post my finished design in the Pictorium.

Anyway, good luck! ;)

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

I posted the two reworked mocks in the Pictorium as I said I would. Check 'em out and tell my I'm pretty!

So, we've got a Paint.NET icon pack as a suggestion. That'd definitely be a Monthly long project. :wink:

Anyone else want to chime in?

~ Becoming the Archetype