Can I change the default saving format?

When trying to save an image after some non-trivial work on it, Paint.NET reverts to its own PDN format. While this is understandable and probably liked by most users, my problem is that I prefer to work with GIF (usually) or PNG (when I need partial transparency), which also have a smaller file size. So I have to keep changing the default every time I try to save.

My question: Is there a way to set the default image saving format to something else, e.g. GIF?

I'm using version 3.5.11 on Windows XP.

• Like 1

All things are difficult before they are easy.  (Thomas Fuller)

My signature was really annoying, so BoltBait deleted it. I should probably read rule #13 of the forum rules.

Hi Katzen - I'm afraid that support on this forum is now limited to 4.x. That means you may not get help when asking about 3.5.11.  Also, XP is now off topic too.

But, you can read this thread here about gifs and jpegs.  Sorry I couldn't be much help here :( .

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

PDN is the default format used when saving a multilayered image. Paint.net uses this format to save the layer structure. If you flatten the layers prior to saving, the format will default to PNG.

Thanks Pixey and Ego Eram Reputo for the useful replies, even if what I ask does not seem quite possible.

But knowing that if I flatten the layers prior to saving, the format will default to PNG is already something useful.

It would make more sense and be of more usefulness, if flattening the layers prior to saving would default to whatever format one was working on, or the layers (or top layer) consisted of. Thus, if one was working in GIF or JPG, after flattening the layers, saving should default to GIF or JPG respectively, and similarly for other formats.

In fact this is a suggestion I would like to make to the developers, as I think it would suit all users. PDN would preserve the layer structure, if not flattened. At the same time, those who prefer a directly usable image of smaller file size, would just flatten the layers and save.

Would the above be sufficient for making the suggestion, or should I start another ad hoc topic?

• Upvote 1

My signature was really annoying, so BoltBait deleted it. I should probably read rule #13 of the forum rules.

I think you will find this is not possible. Each image editor has it`s own file type and automatically saves to that. For example Gimp saves to XCF, and Photoshop saves to it`s format. You have to manually choose which format you want to save to - png, jpeg or whatever , which is easy enough to do by clicking the `save as' option.

• Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

If you're editing an existing jpg and create a new layer in the process, then flatten prior to invoking Save, paint.net should reuse the original filename and format.

Thanks again. It seems the program is already doing part of what I'm suggesting above and it should thus be possible, if not actually easy, to extend this behavior to ideally apply to all formats. That is, when flattening before saving, it should reuse the original (filename and) format.in all cases, as it does for png & jpg, and irrespective of the number of layers added. After all, if a user wants it otherwise, he can always change the format. But I feel that as a rule, the user will want it this way.

FLYpvaj.gif

• Upvote 1

When saving,the default file formats are selected so there is no chance of data loss.

When you choose another format you accept the potential to lose data (layer structure, quality, etc...,). Rick (paint.net developer) makes this your choice so there is no comeback when you lose 100 individual layers by saving your masterpiece as a jpg.

While I appreciate the effort (and patience) put in the replies, and realize the advantages of preserving the layers, I keep coming back, with due apologies,  because I feel my main point has not yet been understood.

The alternative defaults I'm talking about would only come into effect after you intentionally flatten the layers yourself. Consequently you know, accept and want the loss of the layers. If you want to preserve them, you'll just save without flattening.

IMPORTANT

Here I am again, but with good news this time that may also interest other members facing my problem as repeated below:

Reminder: Paint.NET’s default format is PDN, which preserves the layers when saving. However, some users who no longer need the layers, prefer to save in PNG or GIF or JPG, which are directly usable e.g. for posting in forums, and also have considerably smaller file size. These users want to avoid the extra operations for changing the format each time before saving.

Acting on Ego Eram Reputo’s idea of flattening the layers before saving, and after doing a number of experiments, I made the following important observation:

If you start with an image of format PNG, GIF or JPG and add several layers to it, not necessarily of the same format, and even do work on the layers, then: if you flatten before saving, the format defaults to that of the original image.

Of course, if you don’t flatten before saving, the format will be PDN which preserves the layers.

This is exactly what I really wanted and what my previous suggestion was about. So it seems that the Paint.NET developers put more thoughtful planning into it that I thought and I take my hat off to them.

Conclusion and advice:

If you want to save in the PDN format and preserve the layers, just save directly without flattening before saving.

If you want to save in PNG, GIF or JPG, then open the first image in the desired format and flatten the layers before saving.

Notes:

1. Flattening the image does not constitute an additional operation, since it is required anyway for saving in a non-PDN format.

2. Three additional operations are avoided in saving, namely clicking for the dropdown menu, selecting the desired format and clicking on it, plus any associated waiting.

3. This method is particularly useful in producing the individual GIF images of muli-frame animated GIFs.

4.  The above observationd were made on Paint.NET v. 3.5.11.

I’d request that someone else confirms my conclusions for version 4, so that they can become standard advice.

llNqibq.gif

If you start with an image of format PNG, GIF or JPG and add several layers to it, not necessarily of the same format, and even do work on the layers, then: if you flatten before saving, the format defaults to that of the original image.

Isn't that what I said in post #6? ;)

• Upvote 1

In the interests of accuracy this is not quite so, sir. Although you probably meant the same thing, you didn’t say it in so many words. As a result it did not clarify the matter for me, hence my (unnecessary) suggestion and subsequent experiment to clarify the situation. In fact, someone else even commented that what I was asking was probably not possible, which means he didn’t understand either.

Ego Eram Reputo, on 30 Dec 2014 - 6:57 PM, said:

“PDN is the default format used when saving a multilayered image. Paint.net uses this format to save the layer structure. If you flatten the layers prior to saving, the format will default to PNG.”

As expressed, this is not quite correct. It will not default to PNG but to whatever you started with. You probably meant “If you start off with a PNG image…”

Ego Eram Reputo, on 31 Dec 2014 - 6:40 PM, said:

“If you're editing an existing jpg and create a new layer in the process, then flatten prior to invoking Save, paint.net should reuse the original filename and format.”

This is correct, but only refers to jpg and one layer. I accept however that it is reasonable to extend it to other formats and more layers. Hence my experiment that did just that.

In the interests of accuracy this is not quite so, sir.

In the interests of accuracy...

Ego Eram Reputo, on 30 Dec 2014 - 6:57 PM, said:

“PDN is the default format used when saving a multilayered image. Paint.net uses this format to save the layer structure. If you flatten the layers prior to saving, the format will default to PNG.”

...this is post #3

and EER said...

Isn't that what I said in post #6? ;)

Post #6 used jpg as an example. It was implied that it works for the other formats when he said "paint.net should reuse the original filename and format."

So if you want to get nit-picky like that...I think that was very quite so, sir. ;)

For the record, your clarification was much appreciated. I plan on using it to answer this question when it inevitably comes up again in the future.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

So if you want to get nit-picky like that...I think that was very quite so, sir. ;)

For the record, your clarification was much appreciated. I plan on using it to answer this question when it inevitably comes up again in the future.

Err…wouldn’t using my clarification be endorsing…nit-picking? ;)

It may be added that in some cases you can plan so as to avoid the creation of layers, in which case you may be able to save in the desired format without flattening. That’s just what I did in generating the frames of my signature gif, thus avoiding 4 operations for each of the 36 frames, a total of 144 operations avoided, not counting the associated swearing spared.

• 4 years later...

I'm a regular Paint.NET user and I see that after many years of development there are still few issues which nobody seem to care about.

One of these is actually the default file format proposed for saving new flat images which is PNG.

Since PNG is not a Paint-NET specific file type, it makes no sense to keep it as a fixed setting.

A simple configuration setting would make things easier if one could just save his favorite default file type for future use.

Another good option would be to just remember the last file type used for saving a new flat image, as well as the software actually remembers the details of any file type used for saving.

Whatever you choose, it costs nothing in development time. Actually you're wasting a much bigger time by just explaining why it's not been done yet.

Regards.

On 12/8/2019 at 2:29 AM, aq71bo said:

I'm a regular Paint.NET user and I see that after many years of development there are still few issues which nobody seem to care about.

Here's the answer....

On 1/2/2015 at 7:45 AM, Ego Eram Reputo said:

When saving, the default file formats are selected so there is no chance of data loss.

When you choose another format you accept the potential to lose data (layer structure, quality, etc...,). Rick (paint.net developer) makes this your choice so there is no comeback when you lose 100 individual layers by saving your masterpiece as a jpg.

^^ this has been said many, many times. To say nobody cares about it is rude and insulting.