Teaching Paint.NET to High School Students - I need ideas!

So, starting on Friday, I will be teaching a high school class on using Paint.NET. The general subject is Photo Editing and Image Creation.

I'm looking for ideas for homework assignments.

The students will most likely all be beginners.

I need your help. I'm looking for 1-2 sentence descriptions for homework assignment projects. I've been looking through the Tutorials section for ideas, but what do you think?

What kind of hell do you think I should put these students through?

:D

Perhaps a little advanced (maybe later in the year)...would be creative to have them make 'box art' for a fictitious game or product. Like an XBOX, PS3, cereal box, magazine cover...something like that.

Maybe you could have grades based on

1) main focus (person/object)

2) text design

3) background design

4) overall composition

edit to add:

Maybe these can be built up over the many assignments. Background...text...then pull it all together in the end.

Both good ideas.

GreenNova, this is only a 1 semester course, so I was thinking of doing that for a final project.

Oh, and I'm a real easy grader:

Me: Let me see your homework
    Student: Here it is... its kinda lame...
    Me: Looks good to me. 100%.
    Student: Sweet!

Maybe have them work with projects that need editing, take an image, that you have taken (camera) and make it look rather horrible, have them fix it up, and their own little spice to it, and see how creative they are! That way, they can put their own style, into something. And you get to see what students are more ellaborate in their workings and visa versa...

Besides the two ideas I suggested above, I also think it would be a good idea to find a subject matter that applies the use of lighting and shadows. That way they can use what they have learned towards the final project to make the "box" look as real as possible.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

You should take one of your own photographs and have them take it home and go crazy. Give 'em a 100% if it looks any better...or just different.

I'm sure with the few ideas you cover each class they will be able to come up with something.

Also, I think you should point out the fact that this program was created by kids just like them (no offense Rick).

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

You should take one of your own photographs and have them take it home and go crazy. Give 'em a 100% if it looks any better...or just different.

-->

Maybe have them work with projects that need editing, take an image, that you have taken (camera) and make it look rather horrible, have them fix it up, and their own little spice to it, and see how creative they are! That way, they can put their own style, into something. And you get to see what students are more ellaborate in their workings and visa versa...

great minds think alike? lol

If you have a digi. cam. take a pic of them with a single color b.g. and them have them edit that. Maybe tell them to make themselves look like there fav. game/movie character, some kind of animal, etc.

You could also have them edit pics of there fellow class mates but we all know how high school students are, lol.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

-->

great minds think alike? lol

Sorry man! I didn't see your post. Guess I was just skimming...

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I like the idea of coloring a B&W image, but I think Codelab is going to be over their heads.

I might have them run prewritten scripts, but developing their own is waaaay over their heads.

We meet once per week, on Fridays, for 13 weeks. I think starting on week 2, I will also assign the students a weekly "photochop" so that they can exercise their imaginations. Maybe I could start with "Bliss" as I have MANY excellent examples to show them how its done!

If you have a digi. cam. take a pic of them with a single color b.g. and them have them edit that. Maybe tell them to make themselves look like there fav. game/movie character, some kind of animal, etc.

You could also have them edit pics of there fellow class mates but we all know how high school students are, lol.

Thats a good idea! You could maybe chalenge them to try to change their hair color, while still making it look real, or somehow replace their eyes with animal eyes or somthing like that.

dragonfly-1.png

Do not click!

Time flies when you're eating a donut.

My dA

Boltbait, being in all seriousness, being a student myself, to some very boring teachers, if I were you, I would let some room for alterations. Have your students give a lot of input on what THEY want to do. It will make it more enjoyable for them, and when your having a good time, your learning allot more...