Editing jp2 files

Thank you for all your help guys!

My next question is about jp2 files. At the moment I am converting jp2 files into tiffs with IfranView, but it is a slow work around (and the files get pretty heavy that way). If I could open the jp2 files directly in Paint.NET it would be fabulous.

I know there are some plugins from long ago (couldn't get them to work), are there any newer ones that work with the newest edition?

Cheers

JPEG 2000 isn't as popular as was hoped when it was developed. It seems to be mostly used for archiving images - with very little support elsewhere.

I'm interested as to why are you using this format?

Actually I am editing archived documents, images from books on Archive.org. if you click around on the menus you can find the raw and the jp2 compressed images (rahter large files). There are also other formats but those are lower rez and not as useful.

I supposed that jp2 is not supported via plugin on PdN?

Only via the JPEG 2000 plugin - which I assume you've tried (by your comment that you couldn't get it to work).

That should be the correct runtime for a 32-bit OS, if you are on a 64-bit copy of Windows download the x64 runtime instead.

The Visual C++ runtimes are unique to each compiler version, so newer runtimes would not work.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MIC |  Paint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Hmm, same problem on my graphics computer. Some open but not all (the ones I need do not open :P).

I think that I read there in fact two kinds of jp2. Maybe that has something to do with it.

The decoder that plugin uses crashes on larger files due to an error writing to a temporary file it needs.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MIC |  Paint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

@Gumboot is gone, gone, gone :( Last here on May 18 2006 so there is little chance of an update unless someone else is willing to have a crack at it.

@null54 to the rescue!

Have a look at this brand new plugin for the Jpeg 2000 filetype: http://forums.getpaint.net/index.php?/topic/25170-jpeg-2000-filetype/page__pid__376606#entry376606

Note: you should probably remove the old plugin to avoid the two fighing over which will save or load the file ;)