Gradient versus gaussian blur

Hi

I am wondering why the gradients that paint.net generate look so dull, and i've experimented with creating the gradient by just filling two colors and then applying gaussian blur. Is there a reason why the gradient looks dull? and is there already a tool for creating a gradient like a gaussian blur provides?

it looks like the gradient tool creates a lot of "in between" color, in my example gray.

I've attached an example. The gadient is on the left, gaussian blur on the right.

post-89969-0-10046100-1335382454_thumb.p

I'm thinking that your gradient is stretched out more than the blur (which blurs the border between the two colors).

Try the gradient again and this time don't drag the start/finish nubs so far. Keep them more central.

I'm thinking that your gradient is stretched out more than the blur (which blurs the border between the two colors).

Try the gradient again and this time don't drag the start/finish nubs so far. Keep them more central.

This is not the issue at hand. If you try to edit the image you can see that the colors change throughout the height of the image in both cases.

What I think is the explanation is that the gaussian blur formula does not blend linear, and the gradient does

Now i'm just wondering if it wouldn't be a nice option to have when making gradients that you can select linear or gaussian blending? or is it just me that thinks that the gaussian blur looks much better?

I'm still convinced that it's to do with the length of the gradient vs the blur.

I'm still convinced that it's to do with the length of the gradient vs the blur.

You can use the PDN color picker with 0 tolerance on the image i've attached. It's pretty clear that the color changes throughout the image height in both cases.

Onoz, the gradients look so dull. Onoz indeed, whatever shall we do. *something about the British drinking tea and saying onoz, I don't know why but it sounds funny*

Try something like this out: draw the gradient it on its own layer and use something like Brightness/Contrast or Curves to adjust the effective gamma ramp.

Gradients are drawn with a linear ramp, like you mentioned.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

BTW I am considering some additional Gradient tool options for a post-4.0 release. Choosing the "gamma ramp" method (linear, quadratic, ...) is among the properties I'm considering. (The code is easy, but I gotta make sure the toolbar doesn't overflow.)

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Onoz, the gradients look so dull. Onoz indeed, whatever shall we do. *something about the British drinking tea and saying onoz, I don't know why but it sounds funny*

Try something like this out: draw the gradient it on its own layer and use something like Brightness/Contrast or Curves to adjust the effective gamma ramp.

Gradients are drawn with a linear ramp, like you mentioned.

I'm british and have never said onoz while drinking tea :(

... I'm from the land down under... :Tutorials:

..where the beer does flow and men chunder. Can you hear, can you hear the thunder? You better run, you better take cover. (Men at Work) :lol:

I was under the impression that Britain (however great or little) is the island east of Ireland.

The "collective name for Wales, Scotland, Northern Ireland and Ingerland" is the UK. Hence the official name: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland.

Xkds4Lh.png