I want something like an one-click export

I'm working on a background for my site today. It's a PDN file that has a few layers. I then export it to a PNG for use in the site.

Here's the work flow:

- edit PDN file

- save as, flatten, overwrite exising png

- File, Open, select PDN file

- repeat

It would be very cool to have a single button that you could configure so that the PDN file is aware of the target file. As in, flatten layers, save as filename and so on. It would really smooth out the workflow of making changes to web files.

Unless I'm missing something, like an easier way to do this.

You can press CTRL+Z to undo the flatten and work from there

(If I recall correctly)

Yeah, I've worked that route too. They both work, but if the file could have knowledge of where it's getting exported to it would be ideal. Maybe a plugin that can store file names, output paths, output types etc. then just do the flatten and save the file without me having to do a bunch of steps to get what I need.

The default settings enforce the preservation of data in your image (PDN = layers preserved). You have to manually change the file type and 'OK' the resulting dialog to agree to the potential for data loss (i.e. losing the layer structure if saving as a PNG, or quality loss with a JPG).

I can't see this changing, so CTRL+Z is really the best solution.

The default settings enforce the preservation of data in your image (PDN = layers preserved). You have to manually change the file type and 'OK' the resulting dialog to agree to the potential for data loss (i.e. losing the layer structure if saving as a PNG, or quality loss with a JPG).

I can't see this changing, so CTRL+Z is really the best solution.

I think you misunderstand what I'm asking for. I would ideally like an Export option (like in Open Office with Export to PDF). The PDN file is really only usable by Paint so it makes sense that most PDN files are ultimately destined to be something else. I think it would be helpful to streamline that process, especially if you have to do it many times.

I'm not misunderstanding you.

The first priority of saving is to preserve the data. If you're working on a multi layered image and 'export' by some one-click method it to JPG then close Paint.NET - you've lost the layer structure haven't you? (Not to mention the loss of quality due to the lossy compression of JPG)

Think of this as being like working in MS Word and only saving the document to a PDF before you exit.

I'm not misunderstanding you.

The first priority of saving is to preserve the data. If you're working on a multi layered image and 'export' by some one-click method it to JPG then close Paint.NET - you've lost the layer structure haven't you? (Not to mention the loss of quality due to the lossy compression of JPG)

Think of this as being like working in MS Word and only saving the document to a PDF before you exit.

Yes, you are.

You'd keep the export preferences data in the PDN file and just export the flattened version to JPG/PNG/whatever. You wouldn't be able to lose the data by closing because the program would prompt you. So you would be able to lose it but only intentionally.

I'm just asking to encapsulate the Flatten/Save As.../re-open file workflow that everyone is apparently already doing. It's time consuming and needlessly so.

No, he is not misunderstanding you as he cannot truly give you what you are looking for. He is simply stating that it can't be done within his power and that you should stick with the alternative method until (if ever) the feature is added.

If an export feature is to be added, it must be Rick that does it because the rest of us are just paint.net users, not developers. Looking at those links EER gave, it doesn't look like this is going to happen any time soon, so unfortunately, nobody will ever "not misunderstand" you.

Edited by pdnnoob
  • Upvote 1

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

Hi Boot2TheHead. I know exactly what you're talking about.

Awhile back I had suggested some sort of internal snapshot function that would take a picture of the canvas (and none any of the surrounding windows/toolbars) and then allow you to save it in whatever format you want. This would entirely skip the need to flatten and then separate the layers, which is a long enough process as it is especially with large images and several layers, and would retain the same quality as when you save it using the current method.

I know that VLC media player (which is open source) has a built-in snap shot function. Perhaps some of the code could be used from there?

Edited by KeyLogic

KeyLogic, I don't think that's what he's asking for. Besides, a simple PrintScreen would be enough for that.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Along these same lines (and I'm new here so have mercy on me), I'm looking for the option (save layer as) to save an individual layer (the active layer) by itself without the hassle of deleting the other layers, saving the image and then un-doing. I often work with closely related images and find it easier to store (as .pdn) and maniulape them as layers of a single image rather than seperate images. However, they ARE ultimately seperate images. I'd just like a simple one-click solution to open a save dialog for the active layer, a "save layer as" option under the File menu. I know of "layer saver" but it's not quite what I'm looking for because it's 1) stand alone and therefore a similar amount of hassle, 2) a little rough around the edges (doesn't recall prevous save config) and 3) ultimately does way more than I what want.

So what I want to know is, does what I'm looking for already exist, and/or is it possible to create? With my limited coding expierence, it seem that it would be fairly easy to accompish, really just a macro of keypress with the save dailog thrown in the middle.

Along these same lines (and I'm new here so have mercy on me), I'm looking for the option (save layer as) to save an individual layer (the active layer) by itself without the hassle of deleting the other layers, saving the image and then un-doing. I often work with closely related images and find it easier to store (as .pdn) and maniulape them as layers of a single image rather than seperate images. However, they ARE ultimately seperate images. I'd just like a simple one-click solution to open a save dialog for the active layer, a "save layer as" option under the File menu. I know of "layer saver" but it's not quite what I'm looking for because it's 1) stand alone and therefore a similar amount of hassle, 2) a little rough around the edges (doesn't recall prevous save config) and 3) ultimately does way more than I what want.

So what I want to know is, does what I'm looking for already exist, and/or is it possible to create? With my limited coding expierence, it seem that it would be fairly easy to accompish, really just a macro of keypress with the save dailog thrown in the middle.

You may use IrfanView to srcoll through the individual layers and save them.

midoras signature.gif

.... I'm looking for the option (save layer as) to save an individual layer (the active layer) by itself without the hassle of deleting the other layers, saving the image and then un-doing.

You don't need to delete them, just toggle the visibility checkbox on each layer you don't want to save. Use Save As....,

My 2¢.

:SelectAll: > :Copy: > :PasteInToNew: > :SaveAs:

Ctrl+A

Ctrl+C

Ctrl+Alt+V

Ctrl+Shift+S

First 2 are direct clicks on icons.!

I don't have an icon to click for 'select all' (without opening the edit menu). It would be nice, as well as a few other I can think of. Is there a way to add menu icons to tool bar? V3.5.10. I tried but can't figue it out.