Metal text with outline chrome

adel

It’s easy tutorial , but the difficult is how to make it clean and real.

We need here essentially :

- Alpha mask

- BoltBait’s - outline selection -

- Drop shadow

- Metalize

Secondly : Tile reflexion- noise – motion blur –Splinter- clouds – curves.

This is theresult

Make a background

1- Add a new layer (background ) with : Width (1600)Hieght (800)

2- Gradient radial with color : # C3C3C3 primary , #000000 secondry

3- Effects >distort>Tiles reflection : angle :30 , Tile size : 10, Curvature : 45

4- Gradient radial with color : Transparence primary, #000000 secondry

Metal texture

5- Add a new layer (textur)with color # c3c3c3

6- Effects >Noise >add noise : Intensity :100, color saturation :0, covrage :100

7- Effects >Blurs>motion blur : angle : 10, distance :30.

8- with color :white and black , Effects >render>Clouds scale : 200, roughness :0,50 ,Blend mode : Overlay

9- Effects >Noise >add noise : Intensity :50, color saturation :0, covrage :100

10- Effects >Blurs > Splinter : Number of splinters : 4, Rotation :25, distance :8. (or you can also use motionblur )

Text mask

11- Add a new layer (Text mask) and write your text (just a few letters)with : black color ,Font :arial black ; size : 72

12- With rectangle select you can tronsform your text in a large size ; put it now in the middle

13- Add AA’s assitance to delete pixelated.

14- in the layer (text mask) : - select all Ctrl+A , copy Ctrl+c, deselect Ctrl+d

You are not need this layar now (you can delet it or check out layer).

Apply Alpha mask

in the layer (textur)

15- Go to Effects > Alpha mask : make you sure that (invert Mask and Paste frome clipboard) are checked.

16- with magic wand (floodmode : global, Tolerance: 50%) select the outside of your text and invert selection (Ctrl+I).

17- add your text a few Gradient linear with color : Transparence primary, #000000 secondry (transparancy-alpha : 140 ) .

18- don't deselect; add now Effects>selection > outline selection BoltBait’s : outline width : 10, color diffirent with black and white ( like blue ).

19- Deselect text and select the outline selection always with magic wand (floodmode : global, Tolerance: 50%). Copy the outline.

Outline chrome

20- Add a new layer (outline selection) and paste the copy of outline selection.

21- use magic wand (floodmode : global, Tolerance: 50%), gradient linear, color : black and white to add a chrome color.

22- Add a metallize effect.

Finaly with curves and a few drop shadow you will get a nice result

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Added link to Metalize
  • Upvote 1

fekrh-com273385d7fe.jpg

Nice end result Adel. However, I was trying to follow your tut, but you lost me at step 8. You say:

8- 8- with color :white and black , Effects >render> scale : 250, roughness :0,50 , Blend mode : Ouverly

So I put my color palette at white (primary) and black (secondary), then I go to Effects >> Render >> but then that's where you lost me. I don't see anything that resembles 'Scale'. Any idea where that is or is that another plugin that you forgot to mention we need? Can you please clarify that step before I can continue? Thank you ahead of time. :)

Edited by ChitoDog

Nice end result Adel. However, I was trying to follow your tut, but you lost me at step 8. You say:

So I put my color palette at white (primary) and black (secondary), then I go to Effects >> Render >> but then that's where you lost me. I don't see anything that resembles 'Scale'. Any idea where that is or is that another plugin that you forgot to mention we need? Can you please clarify that step before I can continue? Thank you ahead of time. :)

i don't forget any step ; it work with me normally ; but you can use other method ; with black (primary) and white (secondary) add a new layer and go to Effects >> Render >> scale : 200, roughness :0,50 , Blend mode : normal ; after this go to layer properties and put the blending mode in Overlay. and merge layer down. good luck.

Edited by adel

fekrh-com273385d7fe.jpg

It should actually be

'Effects >> Render >> Clouds Scale : 250, Roughness :0,50 , Blend Mode : Normal'

Edited by Sfifer
  • Upvote 1

tumblr_lr1sbohvzl1qbh4zh.png

Blog                     Twitter                     My Gallery

i don't forget any step

With all due respect Adel, you actually did forget. You forgot to mention 'Clouds' in step 8 as Sfifer just pointed out.

Thanks Sfifer, now I can continue with this tut.

ventor1 not at all,

boltbait.smile.png.

Goonfella i'm waiting your try don't forget.

YM really it's nice job, can you tell me how you do it ( shortly)?

welshblue great work.

really i'm amazing from your tut's, so i tried to do one like this

fekrh-comab21b40d82.jpg

Edited by adel

fekrh-com273385d7fe.jpg

Well, I followed the tut exactly, then sort of strayed at the end by adding random effects (gradient mapping, highlights, beveling, etc.). I came up with this:

jt01hk.png

Awesome tut. Thanks a bunch! :)

First off, I want to apologize for all my questions. I haven't really been using PDN for some time now and I'm somewhat rusty. :roll: so please bare with me.

I could never really understand how to use the 'Alpha Mask'. On step 14, it says:

14- in the layer (text mask) : - select all Ctrl+A , copy Ctrl+c, deselect Ctrl+d

I do that, but then it says to either 'delete it' or to 'uncheck that layer'. Ok, so let's say I go with the choice to 'deleted it'. Then on step 15 it says:

15- Go to Effects > Alpha mask : make you sure that (invert Mask and Paste frome clipboard) are checked.

This is where the confusion for me starts because this is a screenshot of what the pop up mini window of the 'Alpha Mask' looks like:

alphamask-1.png

As you can see, it has an empty field where I'm suppose to add a file to it. What file am I suppose to add in there and how do I go about doing that? Also in step 15 it mentions us to make sure that "Paste frome clipboard is selected". As you can see in the screenshot, there is no "Paste frome clipboard" to select.

Also in step 22 it says:

22- Add a metallize effect

How do we do that? Is that another plugin?

Can someone please help me better understand these steps before continuing? Again, sorry for the newbie questions but I kind of like this tut and I want to get it just right. Thanks ahead of time for your help. Most likely this won't be my last question. :(

Edited by ChitoDog

Beautiful designs everyone, and thanks Adel and WelshBlue.

Adel, this video explains the method that I used to get all these effects, you just need to play with Alpha Displacement plugin,

By the way, it is hard to get the same effect every time, it all depends on the Font style and AD settings:

th_aa3.jpg th_withpic.jpg th_krmtut.png th_ADchrome.png th_chrome1.png th_clossy.png

• Upvote 1

Nice work Yelloman. I particularly like the one with the image in the text.

ChitoDog, I think you need to update your Alpha Mask plug in. The latest version has the clipboard feature. It`s always best to keep an eye out for updates with all the plug ins and to install them when they are published. That way you won`t end up having problems like this. Here is the link to Alpha Mask Import 2.0 -

You can still use the one you have though. Instead of pasting from clipboard, uncheck all other layers so that only the text layer is showing, flatten the image, then save it somewhere on your PC as a png image. Then undo the flatten part so you have the layers back, open Alpha Mask and browse to the png file you have just saved and load it from there. As you can see, having the latest version avoids all this.

You are quite right about Metallize, it is another plug in.Here is the link for that one -

Hope this helps. Now lets see what you come up with. ;)

• Upvote 1

Please feel free to visit my Gallery on PDNFans

And my Alternatives to PDN

Thanks so much Goonfella for your reply and help. I forgot that just because we have the latest version of PDN, doesn't mean we have the latest plug in version haha. I'll go and update it and try this tutorial from scratch once again. Hopefully I'll get it right this time. :/

It was nice modification ; Goonfella and Moninca ; thanks for the participation.boltbait.smile.png

Chitodog i'm sorry if the tut was not more explaining.

This Vdo is very helpful Yellowman ; thank you for your help ; but i havn't the plugin ( Hieght field normal map)

i had searched about this plugin but i don't found it !!!!!?

fekrh-com273385d7fe.jpg

Ok so here's my first crack at the tut. Not as awesome as those some of you posted on here, but just thought I'd share my first real try at it. Towards the end I just started playing around with a few drop shadows, motion blurs and such to come up with the final results. I'm not too happy about the top portion, since it looks like it lacks more of a metal/chrome look, but I can just play around with that too. Thanks to adel for the great tutorial (sorry again for all the questions lol) and to Sfifer and Goonfella for their help in better understanding some steps. B)

metal-text-tut-ex-01.png

I like the outcome Chito. It is dark but there is nothing wrong with that. I like way you've done the reflection too.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

It was nice modification ; Goonfella and Moninca ; thanks for the participation.boltbait.smile.png

Chitodog i'm sorry if the tut was not more explaining.

This Vdo is very helpful Yellowman ; thank you for your help ; but i havn't the plugin ( Hieght field normal map)

i had searched about this plugin but i don't found it !!!!!?

Sorry Adel for the delay, I couldn't find it either in the plugins index,

But you can download it here from the topic #21:

Edited by yellowman

Sorry Adel for the delay, I couldn't find it either in the plugins index,

It's under "Normal Map" (two words).

There is also NormalMap 1.1 and the updated NormalMapPlus v1.0