Frontcannon's Gallery | Still here: Abstract and Photo Manipulation of a girl

Frontcannon

• 4 weeks later...
But the glow effect to the edge is too constant...

I know what you mean, but I can't understand why it is 'too' constant? If I try to make it look irregular, it starts to look nonsensical to me.

Looks interesting to me , will be looking forward in seeing it completed .

Thanks! I think that will take some time, though.

Well, here is a WIP of the 2nd planet. It's more or less a lava ball, and I've never done anything like that before. If anyone has any tips on these.. (what to do with the glow?)

http://a.imageshack.us/img337/5832/planet21.png

Edited by Frontcannon

Frontcannon,sorry I cannot offer any advice or constructive critism as I dont (cant) do spacescapes :/

but they are looking good so far..in particular the red one..great looking texture..will follow their progress with interest :P

regards j,d,

Nice planets ;)

The glow actually looked pretty good on the first one, I think what Leron was trying to say was that there is no lighting on it yet.

Here's a very quick demonstration on how I do lava planets

I usually find the best way to create lava planets is to have 2 textures, one for the rock: lavaplanettex1.th.png

And one for the little lava cracks: lavaplanettex2.th.png

Use shape3D on them separately and make the cracks visibly show up in the dark areas of the planet.

lavaplanet.th.png

Play around with the settings a bit and maybe add some glow to the lava

Hope this helps :)

falkengasgiant.png

100% Paint.net

"I'm the evil fairy witch. Since I'm so evil, I'm locking this pointless thread" -Pyrochild

• 2 weeks later...

Very nice look and explanation, Falken! Thanks! But it's not at all what I am going for, your planet is way older than mine ;)

I will work on the glow, the texture seems fine, at least I don't know how to really improve it.

It was a bit more complicated than I thought, but your .pdn is uploaded here.

MINI-TUT

--------------------

#1: Fill canvas with Black.

#2: New layer. Apply Hexagonal Grid, size 4 and anti-aliased, apply Emboss, turn layer opacity down to about ~30.

#3: Duplicate Hex Layer. Apply Half-Tone with dark and brown colours, use lines and low brightness settings. Turn opacity up to ~130.

#4: Duplicate Hex Layer again. Apply Crystalize with small crystals, use Colour Tinti to make it blue. Turn opacity up like above, then use a linear transparent gradient from right to left.

#5: New layer. Use Hexagonal Grid again with a light green colour, turn opacity down to ~130 (like always :D) and apply a radial transparent gradient from the middle.

#6: New layer. Make a green dot in the middle (brush size above 150), a bigger red one on the left and a bigger blue one on the right. Gaussian Blur with radius at 150. Set Blending Mode to Multiply.

#7: New layer. White dot with similar brush size. Blur again like above, then set Bl. Mode to Glow.

#8: The flower is a result of fiddling first with Polar Inversion and then using Kaleidoscope. No exact settings, you have to try it out.

I hope you can work with that, questions are welcome.

Edited by Frontcannon

A little update on the spacescape:

When I started to do the background (very bright and colourful if I might add, also 4000*3000px, even with a quad painfully slow sometimes), I realised the lava planet fits not in at all. So that one will go in a later piece :lol:

L3ron, you will be disappointed, completely scrapped that background, I just couldn't do the nebula without brushes and a tablet, I think.

After much experimenting, I found a way to make awesome nebulae without brushes, but they need a black background to work, so no colours in the finished piece.. :glum:

Finally, after finding a way to colour the nebulae and much tweaking, I had an awesome spacescape.. but the planets didn't really fit :mad:

But at that point I just wanted the planets to fit in and somehow worked them in, too bad they mask the nebulae now -.-

Anyway, here it is:

Spacescape 003

spacescapenew800px.png

Bigger version:

http://img835.imageshack.us/img835/2035/spacescapenew1500px.png

There is also a HUGE 4000px*3000px version, will be uploaded on request.

Maybe Sozo has some ideas on how to make colourful spacescapes that look good :biggrin:

• 2 months later...
  • 2 months later...