How to Install Plugins ×

That other app v2.2

Simon Brown

MODERATORS NOTE: This plugin has been rewritten and re-released by null54

Find the latest version here >>LINK<<

Secure Download

If you get a warning, try the unencrypted download.

Despite the brilliance of Paint.NET, sometimes another program is needed to add something to a Paint.NET project. TOA adds an item to the tools menu which allows you to select one of several applications in which the current layer will be opened. That application can then be used to make adjustments, save and when it is closed and you click OK to the dialog - the changes will appear in Paint.NET.

NuDGs.png

The above image has the icons replaced with generic ones.

To use, just click an icon.

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Added Mod note & link to new version by Null54
KaHuc.png

You should add some auto-detection for the more popular programs like PSP, Photoshop, and GIMP.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Thank you. This is awesome. This will make it allot easier to jump between programs. Now I “just” have to figure out how to use Artweaver. :lol:

My DA: http://leif-j.deviantart.com/

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Awesome idea,while i only use PDN for now,i can see how this just made things a lot more convenient for multi-program users.Way to go!

Create an image file and remember the location. Type the following into the command-line, replacing {loc} with the location of your image:

"C:\Program Files\Adobe\Photoshop Elements 5.0\Photoshop Elements 5.0.exe" "{loc}"

Is the image loaded when you start it? Also, does MS Paint work?

KaHuc.png

MS Paint works. I tried what you said and put an image on my desktop named "untitled.png" and then tried the effect and it said "App could not be loaded, please check that it is installed on the machine."

The way I had it previously, it loaded photoshop elements, just didn't open the image layer... :? idk

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 1 month later...

When using it to get to Artweaver, it opens the portable version. :( Can it be made to open the normal version of Artweaver like the old version did?

--------------

Some people seek justice so persistent, that they will do great injustice themselves.

I reinstalled Artweaver to make sure it had files associated. ( Tiff) But still “That other app” opens the portable version. :(

The problem is that the portable version of Artweaver doesn’t have all the features as the full version. So it would be really nice if “That other app” could use it.

--------------

Have you tried right-clicking on a tiff file and choosing "open with > choose program..."? All you should need to do is select the proper application and check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" check box before clicking the OK button. That should fix up the registry for you.... um... listening to Simon?

@Boltbait: It doesn't use direct file associations (I tried doing that but they were stored all over the place). It instead uses the full paths stored in HKCR\Applications\{AppName}\shell\{Verb}\command.

KaHuc.png

Update posted. The new version also allows you to browse for programs.

Ahh. This works. Thank you. :D

right-clicking on a tiff file and choosing "open with > choose program..."? All you should need to do is select the proper application and check the "Always use the selected program to open this kind of file" check box before clicking the OK button. That should fix up the registry for you.

I did try that. But for some reason Artweaver also puts up the portable version in that list. A bit strange. I may ask about that one day in the Artweaver forum. :wink:

--------------