Poker Set - Playing Cards & Chips

cjmcguinness

This is my try:

What do you think?

My first opinion is that you need to use 'anti-alias' in Shape 3D, in order to get smoother edges on the chips and cards.

Also, and it's only a small point, but the angle of your chips makes it appear more like you are looking down from above - and the separation of the chips in each stack is quite large, making it appear improbable that they are stacked on top of each other (I hope you know what I mean).

It all goes towards realism and believability - if there is something that doesn't look quite right it kind'a throws the whole thing off.

I have to say, I like the colour of the background and the actual designs on the chips - so some work on the image quality (anti-alias) and composition and it'll be heading towards excellent.

-CJ

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

• 3 weeks later...

Miggy,

You make many poker chips using the tutorial (with different colors, values, and text if you want).

Copy-Paste a chip (Go to the poker chip file, Ctrl-A, Ctrl-C, go to the final file you want, Ctrl-Shift-V (paste in new layer)). Repeat this step for chip number two but drag it on top of the chip in a way which will make it appear stacked (seems harder than it is). You can also adjust the angles of the axises in Shape3D to make the chips appear at a more realistic angle.

CSM725

• 4 months later...

Very good tut, clearly explained each step and shown the possibilities of the 3D plugin. Ah, and I really like your card's design. Thanks!

th_pokerdeases.jpg

th_monedas.jpg

• 1 month later...

Hi,

Great stuff! I'm new to Paint .NET and I'm a complete n00b as it comes to graphical design. Just trying to learn.

What version of the Align Object do you use? It doesn't seem to work; it's available in the menu, but it doesn't do anything to my rectangle.

My Paint .NET version is 3.5.5; the version of the Align Object I just installed is 1.5.1.0.

Thanks!

ngruson,

For Align Object to work right it needs to be applied to an object

surrounded by alpha (transparency) and also be sure that the

object is not selected.

Edited by Sarkut

ngruson,

For Align Object to work right it needs to be applied to an object

surrounded by alpha (transparency) and also be sure that the

object is not selected.

I didn't change the transparency; I just created a new layer, used the Rectangle Select tool and filled the rectangle black.

Transparency for the primary and second color are set to 255.

• 1 month later...

Great job on the tut very easy to understand!!!

Philippians 3:8

Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ.

Philippians 3:8

Yes, everything else is worthless when compared with the infinite value of knowing Christ Jesus my Lord.

For his sake I have discarded everything else, counting it all as garbage, so that I could gain Christ.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for the great tutorial. I was able to reproduce the chips and cards easily with your instructions.

I would love to know how to make a bevel on the edge of the center portion. The chips I have at home have a beveled edge a few millimeters from the edge of the chip. I tried to use the bevel tool on the outside of the center section's circle, however it doesn't give a good 3D representation. I wish i had a sample image to help convey the look i want.

Can anyone help a newbie to paint.net create a bevel on the surface of the chip that either helps the center to look a bit sunken compared to the edge of the chip, or create an appearance of a circle that has some depth around the outside of the center section?

thanks!

• 5 years later...
  • 2 months later...

I can't load the chip and curved card xml files. Everytime I dowhen using Shape 3D, PDN crashes. I'm using the most recent version which is 4.0.9. Where exactly do the files go? The explanation given was vague.

I can't load the chip and curved card xml files. Everytime I dowhen using Shape 3D, PDN crashes. I'm using the most recent version which is 4.0.9. Where exactly do the files go? The explanation given was vague.

PDN is also crashing for me when I try to load the xml (which goes in the Paint.NET User Files Folder)   I think the problem is with the Shape 3D Plugin and this should be noted in the Shape 3D Thread.

EDIT:  I just noticed that this is an issue with the Plugin, which the author has not updated for ages.  You will have to add the settings manually each time :( .

Edited by Pixey

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

PDN is also crashing for me when I try to load the xml (which goes in the Paint.NET User Files Folder)   I think the problem is with the Shape 3D Plugin and this should be noted in the Shape 3D Thread.

EDIT:  I just noticed that this is an issue with the Plugin, which the author has not updated for ages.  You will have to add the settings manually each time :( .

Oh. I guess I'll do it manually then. :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

@Woodsy

When you click the links and get the option to save - rename the files Chip.zip and CurvedCard.zip accordingly before you hit save.

.You will find this works and will be able to extract the files. B)

PaintNetSignature.png.6bca4e07f5d738b2436f83d0ce1b876f.png

@AndrewDavid, it won't work for me that way! All I get is a box asking me what program I want to use to open it. And none of my programs will open it.

If someone has the pictures for that tut I'll take those too.

Thanks!

Edited by Woodsy