Invert ruler for Y axis

Go to solution Solved by Tactilis,

I'm working in a game engine that measures the Y axis with 0 being at the bottom of the screen and I have been using PDN to mock up screens before coding them.

Is there any way to make the ruler in PDN measure vertically starting at 0 at the bottom of the image?

Thanks

1 hour ago, chuckyhacks said:

Is there any way to make the ruler in PDN measure vertically starting at 0 at the bottom of the image?

There is not.

The standard convention for image editors is that the 0,0 coordinates correspond to the top left of the image.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

I agree with the original comment that it would be a useful option, since it corresponds to that standard mathematical convention for graphs. I sometimes wish that computer graphics hadn't chosen the y-down coordinate system. Of course, that's a ship that sailed long ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MJW said:

I agree with the original comment that it would be a useful option, since it corresponds to that standard mathematical convention for graphs. I sometimes wish that computer graphics hadn't chosen the y-down coordinate system. Of course, that's a ship that sailed long ago.

The y-coordinate is what confused me when I started out with image processing. I then, learned to work with it.

Edited by Reptillian

G'MIC Filter Developer

• Solution
9 hours ago, chuckyhacks said:

I'm working in a game engine that measures the Y axis with 0 being at the bottom of the screen and I have been using PDN to mock up screens

How feasible is it for you to mock up your screen upside down; at least when you need to do a measurement?

It's very quick to do Image | Flip Vertical  by pressing Alt+I  V

You could then do the part of the drawing that requires measurement with the Y-axis in the desired orientation and afterwards flip back to view your screen.

6 hours ago, Tactilis said:

How feasible is it for you to mock up your screen upside down; at least when you need to do a measurement?

It's very quick to do Image | Flip Vertical  by pressing Alt+I  V

You could then do the part of the drawing that requires measurement with the Y-axis in the desired orientation and afterwards flip back to view your screen.

This feels like as much of a distraction as doing the "subtract from 720" math I currently do in my head; but maybe I'll develop muscle memory for it. I'll give it a go, thanks!

• Upvote 1

Ctrl + Alt + flips your screen upside-down (the mouse is reversed too). No, I'm not being mischevious, try it in combination with Ctrl + H + H ;)

Brilliant, no? :mrgreen: