Beveling and other ways to make things stand out

Master Harper FINALLY got his Master Barn Hunt Champion X4 title.

Between Covid and sheer bad luck, the title he should have had last year this time is finally his.

I always do a plaque to put on a magnet on our car for his title.  The last time I brought this up, it was suggested that I go with a simple double ring (beveled) and silhouette rats (also beveled) or in some way made to stand out for the title number, as opposed to doing multiple rings like I had been doing.

I can't seem to get the blue rings to bevel this time. And the rats don't stand out the way I would like. Obviously, my brain is fried, or I am doing something else wrong.

Showing the design itself, and the larger silhouette rat:

Any thoughts?

Rat.jpg

RATCHX4.jpg

34 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

I can't seem to get the blue rings to bevel this time. And the rats don't stand out the way I would like. Obviously, my brain is fried, or I am doing something else wrong.

You should have your rat on its own on a transparent background before you try to use bevel.

This is what I did.  Gaussian blur the rat at #7 and then use AA's Assistant at default.  Then use @BoltBait's Bevel object.

bevel-rat.png

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

Pixey,

did have the rat on a separate transparent layer. What I wasn't doing was the Gaussian blur and AA before beveling. Thanks. That looks better.

This is what I now have... moved the rats over a bit. This is a lower rez version.

RATCHX4-small.jpg

28 minutes ago, ardneh said:

l2uelj.pngAnd of course, to use Bevel Object on the blue rings they will need to be on an otherwise transparent layer also.

You can make things stand out more by adding a drop shadow.

My base layer is white.

The Dachshund is on the next layer.

The blue rings are on the third layer.

Badger Rat is on the fourth layer.

The lettering is on the fifth layer.

The Ratties are on the sixth layer.

I like the effect on the Dachshund and Badger Rat. How did you do that?

I like the 3D effect on the lettering, but it does kind of blur the lettering, and fades it out, as well.

After removing the white background, duplicated the layer,

made the lower layer black using the Silhouette Plus plugin.

Then Gaussian blur and moved the shadow down and to the right with the

Move Selected Pixels tool and the arrow keys.

1 hour ago, ardneh said:

After removing the white background, duplicated the layer,

made the lower layer black using the Silhouette Plus plugin.

Then Gaussian blur and moved the shadow down and to the right with the

Move Selected Pixels tool and the arrow keys.

Ah, the two layers for a shadow, as opposed to using object => drop shadow!

3 hours ago, AndrewDavid said:

Have you tried Boltbait's Creative Text Pro+

Here's an example I created

I really like the way the ratties stand out from the backdrop. The problem with the gold and silver is that I am trying to stick with blue and purple. In canine conformation, the blue ribbon signifies a win in one's class, and a purple ribbon is the winner of the non-specialty dogs.  

I have installed Boltbait's latest Pack, but have not yet had a chance to play with Creative Text Pro+, because I don't remember where it IS.

21 minutes ago, Marilynx said:

I have installed Boltbait's latest Pack, but have not yet had a chance to play with Creative Text Pro+, because I don't remember where it IS.

It is located in Effects > Text Formations.

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Well, got to play with Creative Text a little.

I think I used Rust 2, and then played with the color a bit to get a kind of purple-grey for the rats.

The RATCHX4 came up kind of neat.

I did add shadows to the Dachshund and the Rat, but not in Creative Text.

I don't quite understand how the colorization works... I can't seem to get a good royal blue for the circles -- and also couldn't get a good purple.

RATCHX4b-small.jpg