Font sizes too small

Try changing the font metric. You have it set to Fixed (this may or may not change things as it depends on your image - it's worth a shot)

fontsizemetric.png

I only learned here recently, after years of using PDN, that you can simply change the font size to whatever you want just by editing it in the font size box. I've never needed to use anything that ^ big but I imagined there was limit.

I've just checked using the default canvas: 800x600 and the maximum size is 2000pts before it goes red, as HyReZ describes happens with a much larger canvas, too. So 2000pts does appears to be PDN's actual font size limit.

Edited by IHaveNoName

IHaveNoName.png

But it has such a lot of features that you can forget what they are or how to do something unless you're using PDN on a daily basis.

For a long time I kept the number of plugins I installed down to a bare minimum because I knew that would be an issue. I'm sure a lot of the 'solutions' I used and probably still use are catered for either within the main PDN tool-set or made far easier by using particular plugins. But in keeping it simple and maybe ignorant of those possibilities, arguably, you may actually learn more.  

IMHO too much choice is not always a good thing as it is easy lose focus on what you originally set out to do.

IHaveNoName.png

16 hours ago, IHaveNoName said:

But it has such a lot of features that you can forget what they are or how to do something unless you're using PDN on a daily basis.

That is purpose of help and documention screens, so you don't have to store all possibilities and features in you memory, or bother others to look them up for you! Having a ready reference is so advantageous! I have 625 Effects installed in addition to the 44 built-in effects. Having that many effects causes Paint.NET, on my computer, to take 63 seconds to load. My designing routine is not that hectic that a 63 second load time is a burden.

Windows 10 Home 64bit v1903 OS build 18962.175
Paint.NET 4.1.6 (Final 4.106.7016.38074)
AMD Athlon 5350 APU with Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series (4 cores, 4 threads)
16384 MBytes of DDR3 RAM
Hitachi HUA723020ALA641 SATA

Edited by HyReZ
to add more nfo / correcting errors

I have two versions of paint.net installed; Classic and Store. One is stuffed with plugins and the other is sparsely populated. I choose which I use depending on the task at hand.

Rick has achieved a significant improvement in load time for large numbers of plugins ;)

Yeah you shouldn't really even notice an effect* on load time with having a lot of plugins anymore, since 4.1.4.

If you have spinning rust (HDD instead of SSD) then the first time you start the app it may thrash the disk a lot if you have A LOT of plugins. Once it's cached it's no big deal though.

* unintentional pun

• Like 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

16 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

If you have spinning rust (HDD instead of SSD) then the first time you start the app it may thrash the disk a lot if you have A LOT of plugins. Once it's cached it's no big deal though.

The computer must be deleting this cache upon shutdown, becaue there is almost a full minute for all of the effects to load when starting Paint.NET after a startup of Windows.

That's 100% normal. It's an in-memory cache, by definition.

Everything in memory is technically "deleted" upon shutdown, along with everything in the File I/O Cache. Technically it's called the standby list.

image.png

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

On 6/12/2019 at 2:01 PM, HyReZ said:

On a 10,000 x 10,000 pixel canvas I was able to use fonts sized up to 2000 points before the point size box went red

Yeah the box goes red but on a default 800 x 600 I can get to 20 000. It will still go to that size even when red unless I got it wrong.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

2 hours ago, barbieq25 said:

Yeah the box goes red but on a default 800 x 600 I can get to 20 000. It will still go to that size even when red unless I got it wrong.

Point_Size.jpg

BTW:
When I chose to use a 10,000 x 10,000 pixel canvas I was unaware of a font point size limit.
When I entered a few words of text on the canvas I found out that i could not go larger than 
2000 pts but that canvas size allowed me enough space to do so if I could.

At the canvas default setting you can't even enter one complete text character into that space at a point size of 2000,

it will more than fill the space.

Edited by HyReZ