Rick Brewster

paint.net is now available on the Windows Store!

3 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

That's not how Store Apps work. They work like a sandbox or a container. In short, they are isolated away.

That's not good!  Especially if I'm trying to write a plug-in and I need to be able to tell Visual Studio to references the four Paint.NET files.

3 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

You'll have to save the file to disk, and then open it.

Yeah, that's what I did.

5 hours ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

... I need to be able to tell Visual Studio to references the four Paint.NET files.

Meh, just keep a copy of them somewhere on your computer.  I know a few plugin authors use the v3.5x DLLs, but have v4.0.x installed.

It would be cool if we had Nuget repo/server (like a private one; not on nuget.org) for the paint.net DLLs, but that would just be more work for Rick on every release.  Just keep the DLLs files around.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, TrevorOutlaw said:

Edit: BoltBait, could you also tell me how to add Paint.NET resources to be used as a reference in Visual Studio with the Store version as well?

I don't think you  can.  For software development, I recommend the classic version. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Another slight hiccup, some plugins which depend on external resources can't be installed due to the Store version installation folder not being available.

A lot of @Martin Osieka's plugins use the OptionBased library. We used to put this in the PDN installation folder.

Installation

- Copy the two files OptionBasedLibrary vX.X.dll/.dlc to the Paint.NET\ folder (NOT to Paint.NET\Effects\ !!!)

Looks like I'll have to flag these in the Plugin Index.

3 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

A lot of @Martin Osieka's plugins use the OptionBased library. We used to put this in the PDN installation folder.

You can put the OptionBasedLibrary DLL files in the Effects folder, and his plugins will work just fine.  The CLR knows to look a few different places to find dependencies. ;)

• Like 2

14 hours ago, Rick Brewster said:

Why did this become the established protocol for that library?

I'm not sure why Martin did it that way. He hasn't been around the forum for most of this year so we can't ask him.

15 hours ago, toe_head2001 said:

You can put the OptionBasedLibrary DLL files in the Effects folder, and his plugins will work just fine. 

Excellent. Thanks for the tip.

On 08/10/2017 at 11:01 PM, BoltBait said:

In fact, I've already rewritten my plugin installer to work with the store version.  I'm working with Microsoft to get it into the Windows Store

I'm presuming that anyone who has made the transition to the Store version has copied across the plugins from the old effects folder etc.

Will these still work when plugins are offered in Store ... or will a Store version of plugins be needed ?

(That may seem a silly question ... but like a lot of things ... it makes sense in my head)

2 hours ago, welshblue said:

I'm presuming that anyone who has made the transition to the Store version has copied across the plugins from the old effects folder etc.

Fair warning: Microsoft HATES the fact that Rick has users putting code in the My Documents directory and may make him change that.

That's what we're currently working with them about...

5 hours ago, BoltBait said:

Microsoft HATES the fact that Rick has users putting code in the My Documents directory

Paraphrasing Shakespeare:  I guess the course of publishing apps never did run smooth

Bummer for you's ... hope it's not too much work if things need changing ... 

On 15/10/2017 at 1:13 PM, BoltBait said:

Fair warning: Microsoft HATES the fact that Rick has users putting code in the My Documents directory and may make him change that.

That's what we're currently working with them about...

The best solution I see for this is to actually have an option in the app in the settings window called "Add Plugin", that shows standard file explorer file picker, and then copies the DLL over to the sandbox data store for paint.net in [UserProfile]/AppData/Local/Packages/[Paint.net]/LocalState/

(Heck, could also have the list of loaded plugins in that Window for the sake of it)

PDN should be able to copy over to that just fine from within it's sandbox and happily load them, and seems like a better end user experience then copying DLL's into ProgramFiles anyway.

Of course, that doesn't help for plugin installers, but it might negate the need for them in the first place.

Edited by FutureLarking

I have purchased the Windows App program and I am glad to have done it because of all the hard work that has gone into Paint.net.

However, I have a question.

I am unable to past any effects into the "C:\Program Files\WindowsApps\dotPDNLLC.paint.net_4.19.6484.0_x64__h55e3w7q8jbva" folder where it resides.

I have ownership of the folder and files, I am logged in as administrator, and I have full control.

Can you advise?

Destination Folder Access Is Denied.jpg

@Large, as the instructions say:

On 9/29/2017 at 6:50 PM, Rick Brewster said:

Plugins are supported for the Store release. You just have to install them in a different location. Go to your Documents folder, create a folder called “paint.net App Files” (no quotes though), and then create a folder for each plugin type: Effects, FileTypes, and Shapes. And then put your plugins into each folder just like you’re used to with the Classic release.

You need to put your Effect plugins here:

%UserProfile%\Documents\paint.net App Files\Effects

29 minutes ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Time for a plugin manager Rick?

Rick and I are working this out with the Microsoft Store team.

Why don't we wait and see what they propose before we make a ton of changes in paint.net and our plugin packages.

<3 Hi everyone!

My paint.net always crashes, what do you mean, what is the cause?
I have windows 7 home version, and paint net 4.0.17

Edited by Seerose

49 minutes ago, Seerose said:

<3 Hi everyone!

My paint.net always crashes, what do you mean, what is the cause?
I have widows 7 home version, and paint net 4.0.17

Do you have a crash log? Click gear icon upper right corner of the program next to the  '?mark', then click Diagnostics, then click 'Open crash log folder', someone here is sure to help if you're having a problem. My paint.net is 4.0.19

• Like 1

On 10/31/2017 at 4:40 AM, haiduong87 said:

Is there anyway to donate and then get the store version?

Send me a message and we can probably figure something out.

I have been using Paint.net for years and I always recommend it to my friends. I purchased a license on the Windows Store. 

Thanks for the great program and awesome community!

I am unable to purchase this in the store.  It keeps saying my credit card number is invalid but it is not.  I have re-entered it multiple times.  I then purchased money in the store and am unable to use that either.