paint.net is now available on the Windows Store!

That's great but I can't download the trial version. It just doesn't work. No error message... nothing happens. I like to try it before I buy but I won't buy until I give it a test drive.

Anybody know what's wrong?

Edited by toe_head2001
Don't misuse the quote box like that

58 minutes ago, Mrgyhere said:

That's great but I can't download the trial version. It just doesn't work. No error message... nothing happens.

That's something you'll have to ask Microsoft about.

58 minutes ago, Mrgyhere said:

I like to try it before I buy but I won't buy until I give it a test drive.

You can still get it for free here:

https://www.getpaint.net/download.html

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

• 1 month later...

Good day! I fully encourage the transition to the Windows store. It is really convenient. But within place with this, I have identified a number of problems for myself. As the main image viewer, I use Fastone image viewer (Win32). It provides for the use of any application as an image editor using a hot key. And I used the Win32 version of Paint.net for that. Unfortunately, when using the version from the MS Store, this scenario does not work. Through manipulation of rights, I managed to access the application folder to specify a link to the paint.net executable file (this is already a problem). But even after gaining access, I can’t pass image the link to the editor in the form of the full file name since, probably, the launch with the command line parameters is not supported in the the Ms store version. I would like that due to the transition to Ms store this functionality would not be affected.

One more wish, could you add the option “make default image editor” in the context menu of the windows explorer?

7G5UwZQ.png

• 3 months later...

Is there or are there plans for a way to get the paid version that doesn't use the Windows Store? In the weird weird workplace world it's often the case that it's easier to get paid software approved compared to free software. It is sometimes also the case that the Windows Store is blocked (and in my workplace also Maps, News, Weather and occasionally the Calculator). A bonus would be being able to get the appx file outside of the Windows Store.

• 3 months later...

Just FYI, unless I'm missing something, there's no free download anymore. The free download link goes to a site that has no download, but a link back to the page with the link to the page that links to the page with the link to the page....... 😁

I'd be okay if there's no free version (the "classic download", I think it was called), but broken links drive me batty.

- SirGeremiah

6 minutes ago, SirGeremiah said:

Just FYI, unless I'm missing something, there's no free download anymore.

Huh?  What about this:  https://www.getpaint.net/download.html

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

• 5 months later...

I've bought the MS Store version earlier,

but seeing how strong development still is for PDN, and that it's now being updated to .NET 5, I'm so stoked that I want to donate some more.

Will donating from the PayPal phone (Android) app targeting donate@getpaint.net be any different than using the PayPal links at https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html? Regarding taxes and similar. Seems more convenient to use the phone app. 😊

Screenshot_20210803-124241_PayPal.jpg

Edited by olavrb

• 8 months later...

I paid for the store version many many moons ago, but usually install the "classic" version.

Reason? 

I use Greenshot a lot for taking screenshots, and often need to process said screenshot afterwards. Usually in Paint.NET.

It is exceedingly easy to set classis Paint.NET up as a destination in Greenshot.

However, can I do the same with the store version? 

In order to set up a destination, I need a path to the executable file, and those work different for Windows store apps. 

So, is there some kind of shim for Paint.NET that allows it to be called directly, or is there another trick of doing this?

Or do I simply need to continue to use the classic version?

Edited by tdue21

33 minutes ago, tdue21 said:

However, can I do the same with the store version? 

In order to set up a destination, I need a path to the executable file, and those work different for Windows store apps. 

So, is there some kind of shim for Paint.NET that allows it to be called directly, or is there another trick of doing this?

You can launch the classic version or the store version using the paintdotnet protocol:

https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/paintdotnetProtocol.html

2 minutes ago, tdue21 said:

Nope, won't work. I need an executable :(

I tried creating a .cmd file with executes 

start paintdotnet:"%1"

And used that as an executable. And that actually works ... It's not perfect, I'm missing the Paint.NET icon, and a cmd windows opens briefly while executing, but it works.