ImageSoft - A Paint.net v2.x Clone

The dark side of open source. People who use this don't know what they're missing...

It's like someone downloaded the PdN2.0 source, deleted half of it, and compiled it...

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The dark side of open source. People who use this don't know what they're missing...

It's like someone downloaded the PdN2.0 source, deleted half of it, and compiled it...

Why would someone want to butcher it anyways?

Off Topic : What is it with these people who are in violet and have a name then "[bot]" beside they´re name, and you can´t access there profile? It isn´t annoying, it just makes me curious.

more than just similar those icons are identical...

i smella lawsuit coming on

Nope. PdN is released under the MIT license, which makes it free software. They're perfectly within their rights to do that, so long as it's released under the same license.

And the bots are explained in the Update thread.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

more than just similar those icons are identical...

i smella lawsuit coming on

Nope. PdN is released under the MIT license, which makes it free software. They're perfectly within their rights to do that, so long as it's released under the same license.

Nope, this is released under GPL v2.

(September 25th, 2023)  Sorry about any broken images in my posts. I am aware of the issue.

bp-sig.png
My Gallery  |  My Plugin Pack

Layman's Guide to CodeLab

Nope, this is released under GPL v2.

That's pretty much the same license.

GPL - MIT

This is really just the authors trying to port Paint.NET to their emulated operating system. Nothing to worry about*, as it's just like how the Mono guys are porting PDN into Linux.

*But the name change may be illegal

EDIT: Though I would applaud them if they would be able to successfully port PDN to ROS without the use of a framework.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

I'm pretty sure it doesn't even have to be released under the same license, so long as the original license is included.
Specifically, it is a GPL-compatible permissive license, meaning that it permits reuse within proprietary software on the condition that the license is distributed with that software.

david - GPL is much less permissive than MIT.

It looks like a fairly big undertaking, anyway...removing PdN from the .NET framework? Sounds like it would be tough...

At least they have mentioned their inspiration as PDN and even linked to it at the bottom (first on the list of links). Admittedly, this project is very much less underhand than some of the other instances of 'inspiration' from PDN (remember that dude who was selling a lesser version on eBay?).

There trying to do what is hoped for down the road. That would be to get rid of .NET so Paint.NET could do way more then it can now. I also belive the icons are not by Rick or Paint.NET and are for free on a website out on the web that does icon packs. I to would like a Linux version of Paint.NET done. I like to see a Linux and a Mac version of Paint.NET done so that way Paint.NET is free for all Major OS's out there.

The icons are from the site, sure; but look at the arrangement. I think that's what we were mostly talking about. They're arranged on the toolbar almost identically.

So?

... *speechless* ...

Yeah, good point.