Suggestion, User Interface of Paint.NET

I entertained myself by installing Expression Blend. I think the user interface of that program created a new type of learning curve. Since its quite difirent from other microsoft programs.

But I still think it might work pretty good for graphics programs. Since the dimmed down colors and such allow your eyes to focus more on the picture you are working on.

Perhaps paint.net could benefit from a change to that type of user interface?

I really don't think Rick will do anything like that anytime soon, though I'm pretty sure there will be a makeover for Paint.NET 4.0. Also, read the part about the Ribbon Interface in this announcement.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Here's a good screenshot if Expression Blend:

http://common.ziffdavisinternet.com/uti ... 222,00.jpg

I installed the origional beta of Expression a month ago and I like the colors, but not so much the icons and overall layout.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Yeah, I like the existing well-enough anyway. Rick's answer is fine with me.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

From the Popular Feature Requests thread:

"Ribbon" interface like Office 2007 -- I've evaluated this type of interface and I do not believe it will bring benefit to the Paint.NET UI.

I personally don't care much for the look of Word's new UI. Nothing quite like having to completely re-learn a program you've been using for the past seven years... <_<

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I like the aesthetics of the ribbon. I just don't think the actual organization is befitting for Paint.NET. Plus, due to the way the Ribbon UI model is licensed, it would not legally* work in Paint.NET : they require that the entire top of the UI is devoted to the ribbon, and clearly the MDI thumbnail strip in Paint.NET would stomp on that.

* Let's not turn this into a {political} discussion about the Ribbon UI's licensing. It isn't important.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I like the aesthetics, too; but, as CMD observed, the UI is a bit more difficult to learn for those of us who've been around for a while. I'm in no way opposed to UI changes, but I would like them to be a bit more gradual than implementing the Ribbon would be.

Also, the Ribbon is great for Office programs; all of their functions are small buttons. But in PdN, three of the four major windows that you'd want to throw into the Ribbon (Colors, History, Layers; all but tools) are far better served as "taller" windows. They simply wouldn't fit into the Ribbon.

Legality aside, I don't think the UI in question (or any UI that I can think of, for that matter) even works well for a program such as PdN. I'm sure Rick's answer disappoints some people...but think about it that way. It really wouldn't work as well as you think it would. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.