Paint.NET replacing MSPaint in context menu...

When it comes to really quick and simple cut and paste jobs, I find that MS is faster with its basic-ness, so I prefer that over .NET, with .NET relegated to the big tasks. Anyhoo...

Since installing .NET, I've found that it opens now, when right-clicking an image file and selecting Edit, instead of MSPaint. How do I change this back?

You know, the Paint.NET installer does give you the option of whether or not to set it as the default image editor. If you don't want it to be default, just uncheck the checkbox.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

But I feel Paint.NET is as easy as MSpaint, but much much more powerful.

Never had to use MSpaint anymore since I started using PDN.

I'll agree that Net is very easy to use and very powerful, however there are some things I am used to in Paint that as far as I can tell are not in .Net.

For one.. I am quite used to, in MS Paint, Selecting a region of the image, holding the ctrl key down and draging the selected region to one side, leaving a copy of itself behind. This is a very easy way to copy portions of the image. In .Net.. I'll have to duplicate the layer.

For another, although I havn't used this much even in MSPaint, I did find it rather neat, you can select a region of the image as before, but instead of holding the ctrl key down, hold the shift key. It turns the region you have selected, including it's colors into a custom brush with which you can paint the entire window or any portion there-of with. This is best done using the main background color set as secondary color, and the selection set to transparent.

Now, I still love Paint.Net.. but there are some things where MS Paint still owns.. at least for simple images..

@hellslave: I am unsure which windows you are using (probably XP. but possibly Vista).. in XP you can go to the Tools menu and select Folder options. Under that, click the File Types tab, look for the file type in question and set which program you want to use to open it from then on.

Be sure to check for all types of that file extention.. e.g. Mine has BITMAP set to Gimp, and BMP set to Paint. so when i select Open it goes to Gimp, and Edit goes to Paint. I'll have to change Open to Paint and Edit to Paint.Net i guess.

jgswsigxo7.png

But I feel Paint.NET is as easy as MSpaint, but much much more powerful.

Never had to use MSpaint anymore since I started using PDN.

I'll agree that Net is very easy to use and very powerful, however there are some things I am used to in Paint that as far as I can tell are not in .Net.

For one.. I am quite used to, in MS Paint, Selecting a region of the image, holding the ctrl key down and draging the selected region to one side, leaving a copy of itself behind. This is a very easy way to copy portions of the image. In .Net.. I'll have to duplicate the layer.

Unless I'm seriously misunderstanding what you mean, Paint.NET does this as well...

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Hrm.. tested it.. It does do this.. sorta..

One, it only works the first time.. you have to unselect and re-select to do it again..

Second, even on a transparent layer, where I drew a small circle using the brush, with no background below it, it treated the transparent color as a opaque color, and covered or erased what it covered..

It's got bugs.. and I also tried the Shift trick.. not implemented..

jgswsigxo7.png

This is one way to make your own spray tool:

Create a new layer

Brush wherever you want (use a low brush width like 3 or 4 pixels)

Go to Effects> Frosted Glass

Apply the effect.

You can then repeat the effect by pressing "Ctrl+F" (optional).

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

This is one way to make your own spray tool:

Create a new layer

Brush wherever you want (use a low brush width like 3 or 4 pixels)

Go to Effects> Frosted Glass

Apply the effect.

You can then repeat the effect by pressing "Ctrl+F" (optional).

Nice! I hadn't thought of that.... and it works pretty well too.

sunsigub8.png

and to name one thing that MS Paint does that Paint.Net doesn't.. i already did. shift-drag... try it in MS Paint.. it's pretty kewl effect.

I just opened MS paint and that is a cool option. I don't beleive it is an option in Paint.NET (I don't have it installed on this machine to find out) but it could be made a requested option. Maybe someone could create a plug in........ wait could you do this with the Spirograph (http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=5945) plug in I saw just the other day? I haven't gotten a chance to install that one yet or use Paint.NET for a while. I could be completely wrong too so don't take my word for it "please".

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My deviantART gallery

Paint.Net Gallery