Monthly Skinning Competition #2 *CMD Wins!*

Crazy Man Dan

Edit!

Voting over!

Congratulations to Crazy Man Dan, for I are the undeserving victor, by one single vote.

First runner-up, as expected, BuzzKill.

Second and third runners-up, tied for third place, barkbark00 and theplug.

Many thanks to everyone who entered and everyone who voted!

Rules

There are very few, but here they are:

• [*:863fa]Submission ends on July 23rd. Anything after that is disqualified.
    [*:863fa]Do not just color/recolor. That requires no skill whatsoever.
    [*:863fa]Once you have submitted your entry, you may no longer add anything/edit your post.
    [*:863fa]This post is for submissions only. If you would like to talk about the competition or a submission, do it
here
[*:863fa]This is a family-friendly site. Inappropriate images will disqualify you (and get you banned).
[*:863fa]Be courteous and kind
[*:863fa]Have fun!

The theme for this month, as chosen by popular vote, is a re-skin of the GetPaint.NET official website. You are allowed and encouraged to reorganize and rework as you see fit, adding or removing items from the front page to create your perfect version. The scope of this competition only requires re-skinning the front page.

Note that the final product must be an image. HTML experience is not required, but if you do wish to create a working HTML version of your new skin, feel free to post a link to it in the discussion thread, as HTML versions are not an acceptable submission.

Cheers, and good luck!

Edit by CMD - 7/24 - Added voting information

Unsitcky'd!

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

not good but whipped together quickly :wink: :D

Links will be posted very soon so dont disqualify me yet lol :wink: :!:

firefoxvsIEsignature.png

What you describe is simply one stenographic algorithm. I'm sure BoltBait or one of the other CodeLab gurus would be able to quickly implement this.~Rick Brewster

Because I have to go to Portugal Ill sumbit mine early

4tks2s0.png

I only used...

~getpaint.net/index2.html

~My Opera Browser

(I use all 3 browser though, Opera, FF, and IE!)

omExTE6.png

Here it is, I'm very pleased with it..

It sort of reminds me of Helio's take on skinning PdN, but it's my style and just came as I went along, nothing intended, Helio :wink:

Click for larger view:

th_GetPaintDotNetYata.png

I tried to keep it as simple and sleek as possible, sometimes less is better.

I choose not to add adsense adds just for the graphical effect and I think it would have distracted from my point.

The only image I didn't make was the RSS symbol which is located at http://getpaint.net/images/feed-icon-12x12.png

Enjoy, I know I did creating it :D

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

Instead of my usual "OMG, there's so much silver my eyes hurt!", I've gone for Back in black this time ;) There's even orange in it :O.

pdnsitetw2.png

EDIT: I used the HUGE PdN logo for the top Logo, and the Camero for the screen. It just didn't feel right without it :D

EDIT BY ME: Made the picture show up on the screen, instead of a link, for more votes on my side ;)

Well because my Paint.Net file wont open, and I accedently saved this as gif Ill have to send this in. Please exuse me from the bad pixels

Theplugsentry1-2.gif

Sig.png

Here it is, the moment you and I am waiting for.

My layout! It's currently viewable here & its also coded, so that saves time for you:http://www.freewebs.com/pdnv1/

Well, its pretty simple but effective looking. Anyway, for those people that are having a hard time seeing it, here is the image:

Layout.png

F4.png

Here's my first idea of the theme. Note that I'm a beginner, I began only since a week !

I wanted to make as less text than possible

home_custom.jpg

<- Full Size ->

PS : sorry if my english is not perfect, I'm french and I love Paint.NET !

Nothing quite like waiting 'til the last minute... >_>

Mock-v6thumb.jpg

[ Full Size Mock up ]

The only non-PDN image used is the Official RSS Logo. Also, the body text is a screenshot of actual text on a web-page for the realistic sharp anti-aliasing that Clear-Type gives and PDN can't and the text-align:justify effect I use everywhere.

I would have liked to mess around with the colors some more, but alas, time is of the up-ance...

~ Becoming the Archetype

The Voting line!

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Alright guys, we can't do this the same way we did last time, since we have too many entries to use the built-in poll system. So, we're just going to have to improvise.

To vote, you have two options:

Option 1:

Post a new message in this topic with the name of the person for whom you'd like to vote. Feel free to give the peeps their props by including the reasons why you're voting for them. Don't let the votes of the people that have posted before you sway you: vote for the one you like the bests. :D

Option 2:

If you'd prefer a bit more privacy, you can PM your vote to me. Include the name of the person for whom you'd like to vote.

Both options carry the same voting weight, so use whichever way is more comfortable / convenient for you. Know, though, that I will be keeping track of the votes and the voters. If anyone tries to vote twice by both posting and PMing, both their votes will be nullified. I don't think anyone here would try that, but just in case... :wink:

Voting will be open for 7 days, so get your votes in before the end of the 31st of July. Cheers!

~ Becoming the Archetype

Yes, I know I'm triple-posting, but I'm moderating this thing, and each post was for a specific purpose. :P

I may as well get this voting thing started. My vote is for:

BuzzKill

The why:

That mock is just schmancy. The clouds are well integrated, and the colors are smooth and non-distracting. The menu bar is well done, with the text small but readable. The biggest compliment I have is that it has generous amounts of the one thing most sites forget: padding. Padding is the single most important thing to keeping a website readable, and this mock nails it.

I'd also like to throw out some props to barkbark00 - very classy color scheme and original logo - and moc426 - excellent organization and quote / screenshot integration.

And a huge thanks to everyone who entered for participating. :)

~ Becoming the Archetype

well my vote goes to

Crazy Man Dan

cmd, the most professional looking of the entries. I like the nav bar and down to the copyright. My complaints are the extra colors around, which are the tiled background and the black header. I think the header with a cloudy sky like buzz's header would have fit there perfect or an image with sky,mountains,clouds like the pdn logo.

buzzkill, altho a very nice design, I just can't see it practically used for a website because of the large header. I can't not look at that and think that is big valuable real estate space, but really nice job on the clouds header none the less. I also like the transparent background, it is something I like to do with sites but it doesn't usually come out right for me, I wanted to do that on this and ended up scratching that.

barbbark00, nice theme going but I can't picture that as the pdn site. The design is nice but I don't see anything that resembles pdn when I look at it because the logo is so different.

Im going for CMD, even though its a little to colourful.

Edit: Incase your wondering my bro theplug is sick right now

omExTE6.png

My vote is for moc426.

I was torn between him and BuzzKill (with his sweet nav bar and header!). Moc had a more original layout and the flow of his mock-up seemed to bring out the key points of interest a little better.

Anyway, good luck to all!

Take responsibility for your own intelligence. 😉 -Rick Brewster

I vote for BuzzKill.

I don't usually like themes centred around air or designs which are too open but this one really works well, and with little layout change (i.e. text, example screenshot) it isn't too much of a shock or confusion-setting for regular visitors. It's easy on the eyes and it just works. I can see this design being used for an actual website and this was the reasoning for my voting, could it be a real website?

Following on from BuzzKill, I liked (in order of appearance) Yata's; barkbark00's and CMD's all of whom were very close contenders but didn't quite clinch it for me.

Apologies for not entering myself but recently I've been preoccupied by other duties and a few problems, however, I will try to finish mine off and show it in the Pictorium but when that will be I don't know for sure. Good luck to all in the voting period.

Grrr, I didn't get to submit my entry... *grumble grumble*

Just goes to show, never go more than one day without posting (my last post was on the 23rd).

This was a tough vote. Very tough. As a matter of fact, I had to use Random to decide it. So my officially certified vote is:

*drum roll*

http://usedhonda.110mb.com/pdnstuff/my% ... 20vote.txt

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb