Application hotkeys, non Windows standard - help.

Hello,

Yep, I know this is a silly thing to post about but it's frustrating.

Windows standard hotkeys for most complying applications are "CTRL-F6" = switch windows / open files.

Example, open MS Word and 5 word documents, hold down CTRL-F6, it will cycle through them

Same with Paint Shop Pro and many other apps.

These keys are really,.. well standard.

CTRL-F4  - close current Window (you do this correctly)

ALT-F4 - close app entirely (you can't not do this, it's built into WindowS)

ALF-F file menu (yep, got this correct)

and so on

but I've had this installed about 5 minutes and I already miss CTRL-F6

I assume I'm probably the only person who has ever asked for this but do, please consider.

Ctrl+Tab ... next tab

Ctrl+Shift+Tab ... previous tab

Ctrl+W or Ctrl+F4 ... close current

I will not be adding Ctrl+F6, nor will I be adding Ctrl+Del.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Oh yeah, is this kind of stuff possible via plugin? I know this package supports plugins, I can't code for bloody potato but I'd paypal anyone 20$ to replicate Paint Shop Pro 5 functionality - I just want to switch to a single graphics package, I'm still using something from 1999 because it's STILL the simplest and most reliable thing I have :)

ctrl+F6 is the typical hotkey to cycle through open documents, but ctrl+tab is the one used for cycling through tabs (ex: in your browser)

...in case it is of any comfort to you to know that ctrl+tab is also a fairly standard hotkey.

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

It is definitely, I could probably adjust to it but it'd be nice to be able to have it as standard.  I asked in the plugin forum - do you think a plugin to do this would even be possible?     Also the file deletion - I got the impression from the developer above he's flat out not interested.  I guess it's his program, his choice  - of course but I'd like to see a system like this used for new features.

http://cdburnerxp.uservoice.com/forums/165656-feature-requests  (I emailed a Dev about  Cdburner XP and they linked me to that, I quite like it)

Anyhow, as it stands I basically need to keep the 2 apps, I can just do so much, so quickly with PSP5, especially sorting and resizing files, that delete is priceless to me.

Don't ask in the plugin forum. The plugin forum is for posting plugins, not asking about them.

Anyhow, you can't make a plugin for this.

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo

The bits of Paint.NET that plugins can access is limited - for a very good reason: the developer (Rick) doesn't want you poking around in there.

It is not the job of plugins to alter how the program works - just to provide extra functionality from within the plugin framework.

Rick, is there any chance you could give some thoughts to the file deletion option under say the file menu?   I can adapt to CTRL-TAB to change files, as at least the functionality is there but not being able to delete from within my graphics app really changes my workflow (I open dozens of pics taken with a camera at a time, then just delete the terrible ones straight out of the directory to save time)

I'd think it'd be fairly small code, I can donate if required

- Thanks

I don't like your chances.  I don't think it is the job of an image editor to masquerade as a file browser.

Why not just open Explorer and switch to medium/large icon view?

The problem as I mentioned is, in PSP, say I'm working on a set of 15 snaps I took all of the same thing, perhaps just a person?

Straight off the bat, 6 of them are just blurry, aligned wrong, useless - these files are no good to me.  I simply hit CTRL-DEL - get rid of it, I end up with only the files remaining to clean up and actually save.

Sure fulll file browser functionality is silly and not required at all, but considering we have file open,save, saveas, acquire and so on, is it so unreasonable to have "delete current file"  (Warning, this will close and delete currently open file, Y / N)   

EDIT: Followup

The other thing is, yes it's not a traditional feature one would demand or expect in all graphics applications but it is a convienient tool meaning the user need not alt tab and switch between other apps to get things done. 

Edited by hamwizard

I've adapted to closing files and deleting them through windows explorer...or even closing them, pressing ctrl+o, and deleting them from the "open file" menu.

It's not particularly time consuming, seeing as how you can delete multiple files at once.

I've adapted to closing files and deleting them through windows explorer...or even closing them, pressing ctrl+o, and deleting them from the "open file" menu.

It's not particularly time consuming, seeing as how you can delete multiple files at once.

Interesting that you yourself have adapted to a workaround - it seems you too could do with the CTRL-DEL functionality I mention then, no?

By adapted, I mean I got used to. I've never used the ctrl+del hotkey in my life...didn't even know it existed. Most of my programs don't have that, so it didn't take much to work with what I had.

It's not awkward at all. Since I opened the file from it's location, I have windows explorer opened up to the folder already, so to delete it is a simple click and delete. It gets more efficient the more files I want to delete, too. Just select them all and hit delete. I'm not seeing how it's awkward at all...

EDIT: to avoid further spamming, here's an edit in response to post below.

You just saw the files you want to delete because you had them open in paint.net. Then, when you go to the explorer window, you even get a preview of the images to remind you which ones it was that you need to delete. I fail to see why this is such a huge issue. It's not even inconvenient.

Edited by pdnnoob

Rick, is there any chance you could give some thoughts to the file deletion option under say the file menu?

100% chance this will not happen. Paint.NET is not a file manager. Adding a delete key would just be begging for it to be accidentally pressed, and doesn't match up with the conceptual model being employed by Paint.NET anyway.

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

You can't see the files you want to delete, because it's  Windows Explorer? In the editing package it's right there, open in front of you "oh this picture isn't that good, delete"

I will guess that most users on here will just click on the little Red X that shows up when you hover your mouse over it. It deletes the image from within paint.net, but still retains it in your picture library, plus if you have made changes after you have clicked the Red X you will get a prompt asking if you wish to save the changes. See enclosed screenshot.

A simple work around for you would be to open your images in explorer first and pick the images you are going to edit, as Rick mentions, the last thing anyone wants in paint.net is a delete key.

post-93115-0-66714600-1361219518_thumb.p

BREtKQW.png

What would make sense is something I've been seeing more and more of in other apps (e.g. Visual Studio, Blend, uTorrent): Right click -> Open Containing Folder. This would launch a Windows Explorer window with the selection already parked on the item. Then you can press delete or issue other commands.

• Upvote 2

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I use that feature a lot in my downloads window.  It's great for when I wish to examining the contents of a d/l'd zip and/or move it without unpacking it first.

What would make sense is something I've been seeing more and more of in other apps (e.g. Visual Studio, Blend, uTorrent): Right click -> Open Containing Folder. This would launch a Windows Explorer window with the selection already parked on the item. Then you can press delete or issue other commands.

If it highlights the specific file I currently have in the foreground, it's awkward but usable.