The ressource wasting selection tool

I get very heavvy performance problems when I use the selection tool in big pictures:

First, use the selection tool

___1.gif

then,

___2.gif

set to global selection mode

and then try to select something =/

___3.gif

It causes a lot of lag and if you selected a field its not easy to work with is because of that lag.

Please please! Make sure that you do more for the performance :=)

Edited by Johannes

Yes, the lag can be ever so frustrating. I experience that a lot with my big canvases. The way I deal with the issue when I have to move something is to use the directional keys. Doesn't help much when you need to rotate an image by just a little bit. Resizing is then best done with the Rotate/Zoom Layers tool.

I know that these performance issues are directly related to only having a 6 year old laptop that is running external keyboard, mouse & monitor (only way I can get it to work at all). 2Gb RAM & shared at that without a dedicated graphics card. By the time the new release comes out I should my new desktop.

I also make sure that anything I don't need is disabled/unplugged to that nothing else is sucking resources.

Anotehr thing you can try is to either merge as many layers as possible, or work that part as a new image & paste in after.

The latest version (don't remember the number) addressed some of the issues of lag.

I hope some of these suggestions help.

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

I have problems with this too. I try to save before using it, as it can crash if the tolerance level is too broad. It probably doesn't actually crash, but life is too short to wait. It would be helpful to have some way of aborting it, once started, too avoid a near infinite hang, allowing you to reset the tolerance to something it can deal with.(2gb dualcore Vista)

Red ochre Plugin pack.............. Diabolical Drawings ................Real Paintings

PdnForumSig2.jpg

Please please! Make sure that you do more for the performance :=)

Are you using a 32-bit or 64-bit OS? How much memory is installed? single, dual, quad or more processors?

Large canvasses with detailed selections do tend to cause lag, but improving the system you're running on will help the situation.

The last two posters mentioned 2Gb of memory - this is an obvious bottleneck. 4Gb or better would see an improvement as would a 64-bit version of Win7.

I have problems with this too. I try to save before using it, as it can crash if the tolerance level is too broad. It probably doesn't actually crash, but life is too short to wait. It would be helpful to have some way of aborting it, once started, too avoid a near infinite hang, allowing you to reset the tolerance to something it can deal with.(2gb dualcore Vista)

If I make a mistake & try to Magic Wand somthing very detailed, I can go & mow the entire yard or do a week's worth of washing waiting to undo... :lol:

Definitely an abort button would be great. More memory between the chair & keyboard would help too.

I feel quite bad using such an old laptop is such a deplorable state & dare I say it - running XP. But as you can see from my gallery, it ain't quite busted yet! :lol:

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012

i used to have those issues.. solved with 6 gbs ram and a i5...much improved over the pent4 and 1.5 gbs... soooo update that 'puter .. your graphics card can also have much to do with it-- let me tell you a radeon xpress 200 is NOT what you want to be using with pdn

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.