Marble Checkerboard Texture (streamlined and clarified)

theonlychad

This tutorial is available as a PDF. Click here to view or download it

Marble Checkerboard Texture tutorial

This is my second tutorial hope you like it

Please note that these Plug-ins are Required:

BoltBait's Pack

Madjik's CheckerBoard/grid maker

Alright today we are going to be making this

1.png

Step:1

First off start by opening a new project. You can put it whatever size you want but i tend to make it double of what i am looking for

then re-size it by half later. Now were are going to set the basis of our project.

Step 2:

Go to effects/render/checker-grid now click on the checkerboard bubble then click on the center one. Turn up the scale to how ever you like it

2.png

Step 3:

Now select the magic tool . Shift+select on the white area of your checkerboard image and delete.

Then duplicate your layer.

Step 4:

Now is the time for a little color. Pick the color of your choosing and change the alpha value to around 70-90. Now pull out the magic tool again and select the black area of the picture then press delete. Go to layer options(f4) and rename this layer color.

3.png

Step 5:

Okay now go back to the background layer and duplicate it

Step 6:

On the duplicated layer go effects/blurs/gaussian blur and blur the pic at about 46 or so. Note that this effect is really dependent on how big your image is so it could be more or less.

Step 7:

Now go back to the background layer with your magic tool select the black area again(remember shift+click). Then go to the duplicated layer

and press delete. Name this layer shadow.

4.png

Step 8:

Alright now its time to get grungy! Now create a new layer and name it clouds 1 right above your background layer.

Make sure your main color is black and your secondary is a fully transparent white color. Go to effects/render/clouds

set the scale around 700-900 depending on how you like it and your roughness at approximately 80.

Step 9:

Set the layers blending mode to color burn and turn down the opacity to around

70-105.

5.png

Step 10:

Now go back to color 1 add new layer ctrl+f to repeat your clouds. You can flip your layer horizontally or vertically here to make it look a little different. Now name this layer clouds 2 and set the blending mode to color burn and lower the opacity to about 170.

6.png

Step 11:

Above the cloud 2 layer add a new layer and repeat the clouds. Name this layer clouds 3 and set the blending mode to color burn and the opacity to about 160.

This step is optional but go above the top cloud layer add a new layer. Set primary color to white and the secondary to a transparent white. Run a gradient across the screen to your liking and chance the layer blending mode

to color dodge and lower the opacity to your liking.

7.png

That ladies and gentlemen is one way to make a simple marble floor or grunge texture. Remember experimentation is great. Also please post your results as i would love to see them.

On a side note you can substitute negation blending mode for color burn to achieve a more marble less grunge effect. Thanks to yellowman for this suggestion!

edit:

December 3, 2009 streamlined some of tutorial and removed the video tutorial because the site it was posted on has non family friendly content, clarified the tutorial as well

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

aye the last step i did was just a lighting effect . If you were to put a shine on it . It would be amazing I am in the process of uploading my video tutorial on this and i will update when its done. Just dont make fun of my southern accent :lol: i am from oklahoma so i sound southern.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

very nice yellow its great to see a variation on it that is indeed a brilliant idea using negation that never crossed my mind lol.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

sorry for not checking in on this for a while one more level. The alpha value for the color portion is about 70-90. It turns out great around those colors.

very nice sokagirl i like the bloody look of it :D. Although one thing you could do is lower the opacity of your color that you used to make the red squares in the checkerboard.

• 1 year later...