Change black linework to another single colour

Hello, I am new to Paint.net and although I have tried to search topics I've not found a solution to my question. Can anyone please advise me?

My artwork is simple black line, Vector and TIFF but I need to convert it to a colour for the final reproduction of the product - maintaining high quality and resolution.

eve

Welcome to the forum @eve54

There are a number of ways of changing the colour of an existing image. To see how best to do so, please could you upload an example image that you wish to change.

Note that there is a limit on the size of an image that can be attached here, so it's better to host the image externally and provide a link. There's an example of how to do this is in this comment.

You mentioned Vector and TIFF. What is the relevance of the two formats? Do you create your image in a vector format (SVG for example) and then convert it to TIFF?

• 2 weeks later...

orms-badger-etc.png

birds-circle-test.png

Hello Tactilis, 

Sorry about delay while I've been trying to even make contact here. Thanks for the link to the external host.

I hope I've even put this all in the right place. I think my image is pasted above!

cheers

eve

If you want to replace Black lines with colored line, You should use Screen Blending Mode.

Simply Make a new layer, change blending mode to Screen By changing layer properties (Press F4), Then draw on next layer with whatever color you want.

Finally, Flatten the image (Ctrl+Shift+F), to make it single layer.

Edited by Tactilis
Remove quoting of entire previous message + images

Rl7un0O.png

34 minutes ago, Pratyush said:

Simply Make a new layer, change blending mode to Screen By changing layer properties (Press F4), Then draw on next layer with whatever color you want.

Finally, Flatten the image (Ctrl+Shift+F), to make it single layer.

I don't think your instructions work @Pratyush and it's not clear (to me) what you mean by: "draw on next layer with whatever color you want".

Please keep in mind that @eve54 said they are new to paint.net, so illustrated instructions would help.

Note also that @eve54's two images are as shown below.

recolor-lines.png

The first image has antialiased black lines on white. The second has antialiased black lines on transparent. The recolouring instructions need to work for both images.

recolor-lines.png

Hello @eve54.  I've been playing around with the second image. Replacement/recoloring effects don't work so well from the Colors Menu. Your best bet is to do the following:

Use MJW's Hot Metal Glow plugin. You can get any color from dark red to the palest yellow. Pick something.

ColorBlackLines_01.png

Then use ColorFlip/Rotate from Ed Harvey's pack to get close to color you want.

ColorBlackLines_02.png

You can make final adjustments with the Hue/Saturation plugin.

ColorBlackLines_03.png

This produces the cleanest results. The other color plugins leave artifacts and some don't recolor the entire line. For the above to work make sure you have a transparent background!

Let us know if this helps.  😊

• Upvote 1

1. Add a new layer above the one with the line drawings with Ctrl + Shift + N
  2. Fill this layer with your new color (set Primary color to the shade of your choice, Ctrl + A to select all the new layer, Backspace key to fill)
  3. Press F4 and set the Blend Mode to Color Dodge

recolor-lineart.png

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

2. Fill this layer with your new color (set Primary color to the shade of your choice, Ctrl + A to select all the new layer, Backspace key to fill)

Ah, I guess that is what @Pratyush meant by "draw on next layer with whatever color you want".

@eve54, the solution provided by @Ego Eram Reputo (or by @Pratyush if you fill the layer) works for the image with the white background.

For the image with the transparent background, you will need to install the plugins and use the solution provided by @lynxster4, or wait until somebody comes up with an alternative method.