Font / Text Overlapping effect.

Go to solution Solved by BoltBait,

Hello,

There are several plugins to manipulate text but I haven't seen one capable of changing the spacing in a way that the letters overlap. Please let, me know if you know one.  I can achieve this effect by typing each letter on a different layer but I wish there was a faster way of doing it. Looks very nice on thick and rounded fonts. I added an outline; I also applied beveling and shading. 

I plan using this as a coloring activity with my students at school.

Thanks to all plugin creators.

HTXTXT.jpg

welsh-Yellow-cheddar-cheese-signature.pn

10 minutes ago, BoltBait said:

Put each letter on it's own layer (H on top and O on the bottom).  Add outline to one layer and press Ctrl+F on each other layer.  Then do the same for  shading and drop-shadows.

That's what I did with the HELLO word. I'm looking for a faster way, I need to type a few hundred words and that is a lot of layers and manipulations. A plugin able to do a phrase on a single layer would be a great time saver.

welsh-Yellow-cheddar-cheese-signature.pn

3 hours ago, Welsh Yellow Cheddar said:

There are several plugins to manipulate text but I haven't seen one capable of changing the spacing in a way that the letters overlap. Please let, me know if you know one.

You could try this one:

For this one to work, you'll need some html and css knowledge, mostly text manipulation.
The issue is there is no way to make the background of the rendered output transparent.

• Upvote 1

Nice! Easier to use compared to Dr Scott's Markup Renderer plugin.
If you want to give it a try, here are two text styles for the plugin:

https://gitlab.com/-/snippets/3613586

(Open raw file using Raw icon, just before Download icon, then select all text and paste into Markup plugin)

Copy everything and paste into plugin top area (code editing window).

Edited by Lemonade
Updated link to public
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lemonade said:

Easier to use compared to Dr Scott's Markup Renderer plugin.

It's in the Advanced menu for this reason ;)

Overlapping text is reasonably easy to achieve by specifying a negative letter-spacing in the CSS. In the example below I've included an outline, but it doesn't extend to the individual characters, rather it outlines the whole word.

overlapping-text.png

Spoiler
<!DOCTYPE html>
<meta http-equiv="X-UA-Compatible" content="IE=Edge,chrome=1" />
<html>
  <head>
<style>
h2  {   font-family: 'Droid Serif', Georgia, Times, serif; font-size: 6.65em; color: #adf3c3; letter-spacing: -0.15em;
  -webkit-text-stroke: 1px black;
   color: lightblue;
   text-shadow:
       3px 3px 0 #000,
     -1px -1px 0 #000,  
      1px -1px 0 #000,
      -1px 1px 0 #000,
       1px 1px 0 #000;
}
body { line-height: 1.25em;}
</style>
</head>
    <body>
        <h2>Overlapping text</h2>
    </body>
</html>

• Upvote 2
  • You're a Smart Cookie! 1

On 10/18/2023 at 7:49 AM, Welsh Yellow Cheddar said:

There are several plugins to manipulate text but I haven't seen one capable of changing the spacing in a way that the letters overlap.

I have PM'd you a preliminary build of a plugin that does this very thing.  Let me know your feedback and I'll finish up the plugin and publish it.

image.png

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

6 hours ago, BDP said:

Has this Plugin progressed at all? I would love to try it out and use it - I love the effect of overlapping characters

Many thanks,

Brian

I have one last bug to fix.  I should have it released publicly this weekend. 

• Upvote 2

• Solution
On 10/27/2023 at 3:47 AM, BDP said:

Has this Plugin progressed at all?

The plugin has been published:

BoltBait's Text Fun Factory v1.0 - Updated October 29, 2023 - Plugins - Publishing ONLY! - paint.net Forum (getpaint.net)

Enjoy!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"EEghads", this is almost exactly what I was here to look for!  LOL!!  I'm also looking for a plug in for metallic colors and one that I can fill from clipboard or copy paste.  As in bubble letters like what you are working on.  Picture this:  "LEAF" all in bubble letters overlapping, but filled with my photos of real leaves instead of a solid color. 

I am kind a newbie kind of not?  I've been using Paint.net for something like 15 years(?) and recently started using it so much that I learn new tricks everyday with it!  Love your arc text!  (although the font size could go up a bit more)  And the outline and fill gradient text as well!!