Soleil's Play of Light - Critique page 7?

LumièreDuSoleil

So I wanted a new personal, multipurpose logo. I had a vision of an eye:

RaiEye_test2.pngRaiEye_test1.pngRaiEye_test3.pngRaiEye_test4.png

You can see that the skin-shading on the top version, although freaking gorgeous, might get in the way. The bottom is, in my opinion, interesting in its own way but a little to simple. The center scales well (the 4th center is about 16x16) but the shaded eye clashes with the flatness around it. One other option is too remove the farthest right and left sections of the skin shading and only shade lightly above and below the eye, which has its own appeal but doesn't hint so much at the rest of the face:

RaiEye_test5.png

Any thoughts? Do you think the pointedness of the right side makes it look elegant, or alien?

Wow your work is so professional! I am in complete awe of your work. Makes mine look like child's play. You are truly good at paint.net.

"Clearly it's a very serious and literal meaning. If you're not solving physics equations then get off my lawn!-Rick Brewster Paint.net Lead Developer"

Thanks folks.
That's awesome. Illustrator + PDN? My favorite is the top one, but if you think the shading will get in the way, I would use the 4th one on original post.

Inkscape 0.47, the PDN of vector graphics.

Heh, I meant inkscape :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

So now I'm trying to draw the entire character behind the eye . . . kinda. Her name is Rain (level 4 hairstyle metaphor, btw), and she has a whole long backstory. Shading and detailing will come tomorrow. Any critique while it's still relatively easy to edit?

RainPortrait_test2.png

With Ink 0.47, draw a small circle and convert it to a path. Grab the rightmost point and drag it further right into a teardrop shape. Select it, and hit Ctrl-C. This will be your "brush". Now either set your pen's patten to "From Clipboard" in the drop-down box at the top and start drawing or pick a preexisting path and add a "Pattern Along Path" path effect and hit the clipboard paste button. Then start experimenting with other brush shapes and effects.

The only critique I have is on the right hand. Take a look at your own hand in that position. The fingers where they meet the hand should not be in a straight line but follow a curve & the forefinger doesn't join the thumb. It needs a curved line here. (You may have been intending to give that impression with the shading.)

All other aspects are very good IMO. Overall shape of the image & the lines are super!

Keen to see the colour version!

THiGVp.png

Knowledge is no burden to carry.

April Jones, 2012