Picture moves to edges when drawing and ruins it

Hi

Not quite sure how to describe this behaviour. When I am using the paintbrush, and I have the picture enlarged,  if I get near to the edge of the frame, it shifts, and draws all over the image. It is a disaster. How do I stop this "feature"?

Thanks

Michael

Edited by Mick Berg
typo

3 hours ago, Mick Berg said:

Not quite sure how to describe this behaviour.

Yes, I believe I know what you're referring to. When you hit the edge, the canvas starts rapidly auto-scrolling, resulting in a long line in the direction you're moving the paintbrush (or whatever other tool). It can be quite irksome. The only workaround I know of is to make sure whenever you get near an edge, you stop and manually scroll the canvas to move the location you're painting away from the edge, before continuing. It's inconvenient, but on the other hand, I think it's usually a good idea to break up painting into a number of steps, so that when you make a mistake and have to undo, you don't undo all your work. I suppose this (unintentionally) helps encourage that behavior.

It might help to turn the overscrolling off (Setttings > User Interface > 5th checkbox). It won't stop the image scrolling, but will limit the damage by stopping at the image edge.

SettingsDialog.png

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same issue and its maddening!!!!! I am so upset! I have wasted hours trying everything to stop the canvas jerking here and there, streaking splotches and lines unless I catch it in time! I rarely use paint.net these days and liked it. I still miss being able to sample color just by using the mouse et al photoshop. But the canvas lurching in paint.net when trying to paint is a game stopper. 

What really should happen, I think, is that when the edge is reached, the tool continues to move at the same speed across the canvas as it was moving, rather than going into hyperdrive. I have no idea how easy or difficult it would be to make it work that way.

• Upvote 1

Configuring the sensitivity of the auto-scroll has proven challenging when I've looked at it in the past

But things are in a really good spot right now and y'all have lobbied me successfully such that I just added this for the upcoming 5.0 release: (it took more time to write up this comment than to implement the feature)

image.png

You might notice another nice new setting in this screenshot that I added a month or so back when I was in a particularly good mood and the morning coffee was working just right :)

If all goes well I should be able to have a public alpha release around the time of .NET 7.0's release in mid-ish-November. I'm currently wrapping up a massive new effect plugin system that has been in development this year, and it's important to get it absolutely right, so I can't make any hard promises about release dates, but I'm currently optimistic.

It may be that this should be more than just a checkbox, but we'll start with the checkbox and adjust it from there.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

As a reminder, PDN 5.0 will have updated system requirements -- Windows 10 v1809+ (64-bit) -- so make sure you've updated your OS if you're still holding on to Windows 7 or 8.1.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg