Bend/distort image to be wrapped around sphere

Is there some distort plugin or some easy way to edit image with basic tools to distort image? I would like to create an Image with stars for a 3D print lithophane. The lithophane is a Christmas ball and there is a tool (https://lithophanemaker.com/Lithophane Sphere.html) to wrap the image around the ball but I would like to improve the mapping of the image.

In attachment you can see the 3D Lithophane model with poor mapping. I would assume that this kind of distort (example with brick texture) would solve the problem.

A.JPG

B.JPG

Have you tried the Shape3D plugin? It has a number of mapping options for spheres

image.png

Shape 3D full sphere map...

Shape3-D-plain-map.png

Thanks for the tips. Based on the testing I see that Shape3d and InsideOut are maybe working differently what I am looking for. I can map the image nicely with Shape3d (Sphere) but is there some way to export the rectangular map of the sphere? I would still need a rectangular map created that I could use in the Lithophane creation tool.

I would assume that the mapped output could look something like below "bend/distort" rectangular image.

I think that this is Photoshop Plugin that produces this kind of output: http://richardrosenman.com/shop/spherical-mapping-corrector/

D.JPG

Bend/distort Image

C.JPG

Edited by miikka1978

1 hour ago, miikka1978 said:

I think that this is Photoshop Plugin that produces this kind of output:

You can use the PSFilterPdn plugin to run that Photoshop filter:

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

Shape 3D uses the active layer. I'm not sure what you're asking when you say...

7 minutes ago, miikka1978 said:

is there some way to export the rectangular map of the sphere?

Try a basic patten to see how the plugin wraps the image.