Request for Comments: What "settings" would you want? (v4)

1. Having the ability to reselect text to edit...(probably not in the near future though)

2. Canvas Default Size

3. Canvas Default Transparency

(Thats all I can think of now... I will try and think of more later) too tired...

deviantART | Paint.NET Gallery | bennettfrazier.com <-- (My new Website!)

1. Having the ability to reselect text to edit...(probably not in the near future though)

2. Canvas Default Size

3. Canvas Default Transparency

(Thats all I can think of now... I will try and think of more later) too tired...

1 is a feature, not settings.

2. & 3. requested already, yeah! more votes.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

What other things in Paint.NET would you like the ability to configure?

I would like to have a setting with which you can choose the default tool.

Now the default tool is "Paintbrush".

I would like to make the "Rectangle Select" as my default.

I copy a picture, do Ctrl-Alt-V and would like to select a part of the picture to save that part.

Could also be done by right-clicking on the tool and give an option to make it default.

Too late, this feature already exists. :D Click the down-arrow next to "tool:" in the toolbar and select "Choose Defaults", then simply change it using the "Default Tool" option.

Wow, completely overlooked that. Been looking for a Settings window but missed this one.

Thanks for the very very quick reply!

Again, that would not be a setting, but a feature. Please pay attention to the question, folks.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

• * Configure the default Save As... file type (PNG vs. JPG, etc.)

What? Why? That is pointless, it takes two clicks of the mouse to set the file type yourself. What you should do is mayhaps make it remember last setting used. Possibly with a checkbox somewhere. What we want is to avoid silly useless settings like this one or the suggestion for default canvas colour, just how hard is it to just use the paint bucket?

What you do want is settings that affect the whole app, and cannot be reached elsewhere. Take a look at the GIMP. The settings panel is larger than the manual, and I have a use for maybe one, perhaps two of the options in there. All it does is add clutter. I also favor the style of having settings in places where they are relevant and discoverable, rather than all rolled up into one panel that really should be reserved for truly universal settings. Say, having file settings in the save/load dialog where you need them.

Don't rely on configurability, that's a designer cop out. Rely on defaults. Then add the stuff that is critical for some people to change from the defaults. Settings are a feature to enable alternate functionality, not a way to let people design your app for you.

My own suggestion would be to have the ability to set associated file types. Including those for the edit command.

BmB23, you're preaching to the choir here. I've very purposefully not had a "settings" dialog in Paint.NET for all those reasons. Part of this thread is to figure out if there are enough legitimate settings that should honestly be available to warrant the development of this dialog.

I don't plan on having a Photoshop/GIMP-sized Settings dialog where they let you configure everything down to the scratch file's caching granularity -- things that nobody understands or should mess with, in other words.

Although most of what people are still asking for are features, not settings. :roll:

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

I've got all I need from this thread, thanks for the comments everyone. Unfortunately it's just turning into a generic "feature request" dumping grounds now, and thus has outlived its usefulness.

Thread Closed

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg