How to bring out faint impressions

This is my first post to paint.net, still trying to master the options and combinations.

I am trying to bring out very faint details within a picture...primarily this involves pictures of very fine coin details.

For instance, when coins are minted they can have a Repunched Mintmark (RPM); the original "blunder" the first mintmark location is abraded but still visible under magnification.

In the attached picture the final mintmark is visible to the lower right of the "blunder" location which I have placed a box around and labeled "2nd Mintmark".

How do I bring this out?  Any help is greatly appreciated.

1945-S 2nd mintmark.jpg

I'd be surprised if there's enough signal within the noise that it can be recovered, but another plugin to try is the Laplacian pyramid filter.

EDIT: Also, it's JPEG image, which is far from ideal if you want to recover barely-visible details. To compress images, JPEG is designed to throw out extraneous details, which may well include what you're hoping to recover.

Thanks everyone, I will try png format although my USB camera takes pics in BMP; will there be a loss convert from bmp to png?

Also, I tried the sharpen details and it works, it helps but not enough to bring out the "blunder" details because the focus is on the higher objects.

It would be nice if there was a better edge detection algorithm (no knock on the one included, it works well).

Maybe this could be a challenge?  Who can bring out the faint "S" mintmark in my photo?

Go!  :)

31 minutes ago, sf11dude said:

Who can bring out the faint "S" mintmark in my photo?

Google image seach for your coin tou find a picture with the mintmark, copy/paste to your own picture the missing détails.

Serously, try with a professionnal camera in a white/light room (not a webcam)...

4 hours ago, sf11dude said:

It would be nice if there was a better edge detection algorithm (no knock on the one included, it works well).

Go here and type in the keywords 'edge detect' 

You'll find 12 different plugins you can try ;)

On 2/2/2018 at 10:18 AM, MadJik said:

Google image seach for your coin tou find a picture with the mintmark, copy/paste to your own picture the missing détails.

Serously, try with a professionnal camera in a white/light room (not a webcam)...

Sorry but I don't own a professional camera and wouldn't be able to use it properly if I did.  :glum:

On the MM, good suggestion but I am trying to bring out the original "blunder" which is a MM mis-positioned, abraded and then re-punched (often by hand) which means the original can be anywhere in the lower right field, at any angle...so there can not be a consistent overlay since it moves by human error each time.

Just now, sf11dude said:

Sorry but I don't own a professional camera and wouldn't be able to use it properly if I did. 

Any smartphone?

Just to let you see the quality of the picture is the biggest part of this task...

All pictures from my smartphone (thumbnails, click to enlarge):

Smartphone in hand:
5cents_1.png

Smartphone put stable on a mug, with external light:
5cents_2.png

Smartphone put stable on a mug, with flash:
5cents_3.png

Smartphone put stable on a mug, without flash but ISO adjustment:
5cents_4.png