My page looks different. Why?

I'm old and I don't handle change well. Is there something I need to do to change my page back? Please don't tell me, "asked and answered, look it up, read the rules", my page is different and it will take me awhile to get ajusted. Change is like stumbleing around in the dark to me.

Happy to see everyone survived the Monkey attack. So that is what spam is.

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." EEYORE

If I understand you right it's because we're on a new forum, not just aesthetically new but completely new. This forum is an upgrade to the version we were on before, phpBB2, as this is phpBB3; it's a bit like version 2.0 of PDN then upgrading to version 3.0. The difference in looks is because of newer tools and overall newer system. Sticking with the default theme (it's the one called SubSilver2 in your User Control Panel) should lessen the change as it's closer in looks to the old forums. Also, note the new address :wink:.

Does that help?

asked and answered, look it up, read the rules :D

Seriously, as it's not really explained on the dedicated topic, I will explain further for everybody who doesn't understand "computer stuff" very well.

Due to the spam attack, Rick "upgraded" the forum, meaning like when you update Paint.NET, but on the "server" (the computer running the forum) side.

So there is a new refreshed theme, some buttons aren't at the same place than before, the address was shortened, but it's barely the same forum with the same awesome forum users writing stuff and posting pics :)

^ Myrddin explained basically the same.

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

...but it's barely the same forum with the same awesome forum users writing stuff and posting pics :)

^ Myrddin explained barely the same.

I think you mean "Basically," not "barely." :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

Thank you for explaining. You wouldn't believe how often I get this message " Error

Sorry, something went wrong.A team of highly trained monkeys has been dispatched to deal with this situation"

Change can be good.

"One can't complain. I have my friends. Someone spoke to me only yesterday." EEYORE

In truth, it is basically. :-) I assume that's what Bob meant. No offense, BB00.

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.

And if you're wondering how all the posts and topics etc. survived the transition, Rick (or the forum) took a 'snapshot' of the forum before the upgrade and copied all the data across, if I understand it correctly. It's a bit like copying text from one Word document to a new one.

If you weren't wondering, sorry :(.

I think you mean "Basically," not "barely." :-)

Oh, hmm, yeah.

"Basically" and "barely" aren't synonyms?

What about "somewhat"?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

Basically: In essence; for the most part, overall, fundamentally.

Barely: By a very small margin; Only just, by the skin of one's teeth, scarcely, hardly.

Somewhat: Slightly, partly, in part, not entirely.

They aren't synonyms, but they do have related meanings. :-)

Barely (the smallest, but not zero), Somewhat (the middle), Mostly (the largest, but not everything), and Entirely (100%). Basically refers to the essence of the idea; the "basics."

Ho so that's why we moved. Well all I can say is yea for the mods and if I can navigate my way over here then I'm finally catching on to the internet and computors in general. So that being said I now nominate my self to advanced idiot stage in computor learning. ....

:wink:

chow OMa

once again mods and Rick thanks for all you do behind the scene's to make this a great forum.

Rick you did good. I have become attached to this forum and I didn't like it one bit that some ignorant morons where messing with it.

My comment about the monkeys was just my way of referencing the spammers. Seemed like someone left the cage door open and they were running wild. They also reminded me of that goffer game where their heads pop up and you try and hit them before they go back down. All very trying for those doing the bopping am sure.

@JannetSue--> I never realized how attached I could get to something like a forum untill -- as you put it -- someone left the cage door open and the monkeys got out! I was almost beside myself when I couldn't get into the forums during my breaks and lunch hour.

I am glad this all got straightened out and Rick and the rest of the team (or should I be saying the rest of the team and Rick when he woke up) did a great job of clearing up after the monkeys! :):D:)

Just one thing I don't understand yet, maybe someone out here can answer this. At the bottom of the "Board Index" page it says who is online, and I noticed tonight that there is a Yahoo [bot] and Google [bot] listed as registered users......... Are these "Spam Bots"? And do we allow them to register to use the site? Or are they just "suspect" (suspected) of being spambots? I guess I still don't understand why spammers spam.... :?: :?:

@ JannetSue --> The game is called "Whack-A-Mole" (or at least it is at ValleyFair - amusement park in the Twin Cities area of Minnesota)

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My deviantART gallery

Paint.Net Gallery

Stupid Pointless Annoying Mail, that is what SPAM stands for, online anyway, offline it's a mixture of SPices & hAM.

dA

Son, someday you will make a girl happy for a short period of time. Then she'll leave you & be with men that are ten times

better than you can imagine. These men are called musicians. :D

Just one thing I don't understand yet, maybe someone out here can answer this. At the bottom of the "Board Index" page it says who is online, and I noticed tonight that there is a Yahoo [bot] and Google [bot] listed as registered users......... Are these "Spam Bots"? And do we allow them to register to use the site? Or are they just "suspect" (suspected) of being spambots? I guess I still don't understand why spammers spam.... :?: :?:

Bob posted a link to what they are somewhere, I just can't find it at the moment. For the time being:

The Wikipedia article on Search Bots[/url]":2f5b9]This process is called Web crawling or spidering. Many sites, in particular search engines, use spidering as a means of providing up-to-date data. Web crawlers are mainly used to create a copy of all the visited pages for later processing by a search engine that will index the downloaded pages to provide fast searches. Crawlers can also be used for automating maintenance tasks on a Web site, such as checking links or validating HTML code. Also, crawlers can be used to gather specific types of information from Web pages, such as harvesting e-mail addresses (usually for spam).

[Emphasis added by me.]

So the Google, Yahoo! and MSN bots we've been seeing are not harmful.

"Bot" means robot.

All robots aren't bad. On wikipedia , per example, bots automatically correct usual spelling mistakes.

Yeah. If you're on Wikipedia long enough, you learn to rejoice when the AntiVandalBot shows up :-)

This is a great new forum. I wasn't sure about phpBB3 to begin with, but it's certainly growing on me.