The Pictorium. A new Forum?

The pictorium sticked above is nice. It's a good place to show off work and gain praise for it. However i find there are some problems with it.

The first is that it is now 459 pages long (as of the time of this posting).

Secondly, when someone asks for opinions or ways to improve an image.. or even wanting to ask which image is better, a lot of t hese requests go ignored, simply because someone else posted their work afterward, and everyone is replying to it instead.

Thirdly, since it's an ongoing thread, no one can start polls (for figguring out which of a series of images is better).

I suggest that a new forum be added, under tutorials, General discussion, and overflow, called Pictorium. Then people can post t heir images as new threads, get praise, ask questions, and even setup polls. And any replies to a paticular thread is grouped with that thread specifically.

Also, when I see a reply, i often have to go back several pages to find the image they are replying to. With a new forum, one simply has to click page 1.

It also helps to figgure out if the new post you see highlighted is to your post or to someone else's.

Does this sound do-able?

jgswsigxo7.png

I made a poll about this a few months ago and was requested by other users several times after it*. I think the poll results were 65% for and 35% against. Rick voted against, so nothing came of it.

*As it says in the Bible, seek and you shall find.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

Here is your pictorium: http://www.deviantart.com

I don't see any reason to create a special forum section for it here. dA is going to be 1,000x better at this than a phpBB forum. Just make an account there and add a link in your sig.

Source: http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?t=3377

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

using Deviant Art site is good idea, though is sort of an argument towards eliminating the current Pictorium thread as well. Add to that, that the images I'd like opinions on, i'm looking for fellow PDN users. DA would encompass everybody from PSP, PhotoShop, Gimp, MSPaint, and others I couldn't even dream of. It might even ignite some wars between different sets of program users.

If Rick said no, then that is his perogative. (I was going to say end of discussion but as you can see here, the discussion continues. :shock: )

Usually the best way to handle a situation where you don't agree with the owner of a forum or website is to create your own forum or website. Which obviously someone has done. While I will continue to use this forum, i will be giving the other a good look over as well.

Thanks for the replies.

jgswsigxo7.png

I think an argument could be made for creating a new Pictorium thread when this one hits 500 pages, renaming the Pictorium thread as "Pictorium Archive (1,2,3, whatever)", and locking it. That would allow things to be cleaned up; it would basically put a subdivision somewhere between "Pages" and "Thread".

Humbe suggestion from a humble user. :-)

The Doctor: There was a goblin, or a trickster, or a warrior... A nameless, terrible thing, soaked in the blood of a billion galaxies. The most feared being in all the cosmos. And nothing could stop it, or hold it, or reason with it. One day it would just drop out of the sky and tear down your world.
Amy: But how did it end up in there?
The Doctor: You know fairy tales. A good wizard tricked it.
River Song: I hate good wizards in fairy tales; they always turn out to be him.

The problem with creating a new forum just for that:

- Threads would have "Check out this image!" and not have enough content to spark a good amount of conversation.

- Adds to forum length.

- Would be very chaotic to handle, refer to reason #1.

I do like the idea and I've thought of it myself:

- People would get deserved critiques.

- Possibly more attention.

- The rest of the reasons you stated...

But unless someone creates a brilliant idea that does not cause the first reason, then I do not support it. A professional forum should have threads with a decent amount of content, not all the content slip up into a thousand pieces.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

I really don't think we need a new forum for it. Especially after seeing the new Forum Rules forum going up-- it'll make the index page too big for my liking. It also negates what the purpose of this forum is, which is a help and support forum and not a gallery. I'd rather stick with dA because there are over 3,000 users online at any given moment and it also has a better interface that's made for image and media display. And as it has been said, there's always the PDN Fans forum.

Let me explain...

*Sit in his rocking chair*

By the time this thread was created, it was half show-off, half off-topic, half hi-I'm-new-look-wot-ive-done.

Secondly, when someone asks for opinions or ways to improve an image.. or even wanting to ask which image is better, a lot of t hese requests go ignored

Yes, when this forum was browsed by an handful of people, this kind of discussion was possible (see, page 2 contain *not* a single picture).

The number of people got bigger and bigger and surly you can't see/answer everything/to everyone.

Posting your 2nd graphic work ever made, 30 seconds before jpope/Ash/CMD do, surly doesn't help, though. :)

So I think if you want your work to be rated/commented on, post it on something done for it, like dA or Flickr, and use the pictorium for your best of breed, or maybe for tracking your progression in *Paint.NET* manipulation.

As we said in another thread, mixing applications is not bad, especially if you focus on gaining artistic skills.

In fact this thread is a mean to say "thank you" to Rick, the devs and the plugin authors, for making so good programs.

>Deleting the thread or starting a new one...

No. The "aatwo" link in the second column is the main reason I still check this thread.

Remembering me it's still the same on going thread lasting for more than a year, full with amazing pictures you can't ever dream of.

And it carry a bit of aatwo soul, who is now drunk somewhere with his graphic tablet...

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

The problem with creating a new forum just for that:

- Threads would have "Check out this image!" and not have enough content to spark a good amount of conversation.

- Adds to forum length.

- Would be very chaotic to handle, refer to reason #1.

I do like the idea and I've thought of it myself:

- People would get deserved critiques.

- Possibly more attention.

- The rest of the reasons you stated...

But unless someone creates a brilliant idea that does not cause the first reason, then I do not support it. A professional forum should have threads with a decent amount of content, not all the content slip up into a thousand pieces.

@ Yata

Each user posts a thread with the title of there user name (eg. Ash) and posts there images in that thread, when they have a new image they just add it to their thread. Credit to Drakaan and Ash for the idea.

@Mr Frojo and uH

I could be wrong, I have not considered any of my images worthy of putting on dA, in which case ignore the rest of this post.

The thing about dA is, from what I've seen, it seems to be a place for posting your polished images, but it does not seem like the right place to go if I am looking for PDN specific feedback about a mediocre image I made in PDN.

I really think this would be a great change. This way I wouldn't have to scroll though 70 pages to find on of my old creations. This way it would be easier for people to leave comments. Less likely to get random spam.

[Off-topic]And... It's Gene Simmons birthday! Whoo hoo Happy b-day. emotion-19.gif[/off-topic]

Anyways. I don't see anything wrong with it. I also think you should add the FAQ and possibly the popular feature request to the Paint.BET Info forum group.

47306796ff8.png

...Paint.BET...

Quoted to immortalize the typo :P

Anyway, I would much rather submit my artwork on dA because more people look at it and you'll get some actual criticism as well as a couple of "wow" comments from people that don't know it was done. And for me, it's a great place for posting OS customization files (wallpapers, cursor packs, etc.) because they actually get recognition (and you get to spread the word about Paint.NET).

At this point, I think I've almost completely stopped posting my artwork in the Pictorium and starting uploading them to dA.

LiquidCore, seriously dude, what's so unclear about this:

I don't see any reason to create a special forum section for it here. dA is going to be 1,000x better at this than a phpBB forum. Just make an account there and add a link in your sig.

Would it be clearer if I closed this thread?

LiquidCore, seriously dude, what's so unclear about this:

Would it be clearer if I closed this thread?

Can someone help me get to page 200? >_> Exactly! It's a great idea I don't see whats wrong with it. It was done in these forums:

http://pdnfans.freeforums.org/index.php

That doesn't clear anything up. Look everyone says it's a great idea. In the poll Yes was like 90%. I don't get whats.... Never mind :roll: I should shut up before I my rear kicked out of these forums.

EDIT:

I have a question.

If Rick says this

"Here is your pictorium: http://www.deviantart.com

I don't see any reason to create a special forum section for it here. dA is going to be 1,000x better at this than a phpBB forum. Just make an account there and add a link in your sig."

Then why does he even have a pictorium thread?

47306796ff8.png

That should have been the end of this topic, Done, Over, Finished.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

That should have been the end of this topic, Done, Over, Finished.

OK, now lock the pictorium if it so "sucky".

47306796ff8.png