Layers Stack Shortcuts Request

Man, it's been a while since I've requested anything. I did all the searching stuff, and I didn't see anything, so here goes:

I think it'd be awesome to be able to manipulate the layer stack through keyboard shortcuts. Something to the effect of:

[PgUp]: Select layer above current

[PgDn]: Select layer below current

[Ctrl]+[PgUp]: Move current layer up

[Ctrl]+[PgDn]: Move current layer down

Possibly even:

[Home]: Select topmost layer in stack

[End]: Select bottommost layer in stack

[Ctrl]+[Home]: Move current layer to top of stack

[Ctrl]+[End]: Move current layer to bottom of stack

Agree with me, disagree with me, punch me, punch Jerbert, whatever. This thread is now open.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I suggested that a while back...

Well then, maybe you should have posted with the keywords I thought to check! :P

~ Becoming the Archetype

Good idea, I second it.

Also, maybe alt-click/alt+ to hide all layers except the one selected?

v An excellent open–source strategy game—highly recommended.

"I wish I had never been born," she said. "What are we born for?"

"For infinite happiness," said the Spirit. "You can step out into it at any moment..."

Both Gimp and PaintShopPro use arrows in the layers pallet and drag and drop.....neither have keyboard shortcuts

I would not use keyboard as I find it faster to select layer then click or drag...

For me it a neat touch but would be a low priority..... rather see an opacity setting on the layer pallet.

SigPDN1.gif

You have to remember, your talking to a person (CMD) who if I remember right, memorized every keyboard shortcut for the GIMP. It's better if you memorize them, I personally find this request fantastic.

"Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former"

[ dA Paint.NET Chat :: Yata on dA ]

rather see an opacity setting on the layer pallet.

I wouldn't want that. I don't see a way to integrate it into the existing menu without making it look like gimp. Unless you mean in the color window, then it's already there.

"The greatest thing about the Internet is that you can write anything you want and give it a false source." ~Ezra Pound

twtr | dA | tmblr | yt | fb

You have to remember, your talking to a person (CMD) who if I remember right, memorized every keyboard shortcut for the GIMP. It's better if you memorize them, I personally find this request fantastic.

Well, it is entirely possible that, by default, The GIMP does not have keyboard shortcuts for layer stack ops. I modified my shortcuts to suit me long ago. That's why I'm so fast! 8)

The main reason this request came about is because I was trying to explain to someone in a email how to accomplish a certain task. This task required the creation, filling, and lowering of a layer. I wanted to make everything as straightforward as possible, so instead of trying to describe the location and appearance of each button to be clicked, I went through explaining with keyboard shortcuts. There are shortcuts to create a layer and to switch to the paint bucket, but I noticed that there isn't one for layer stack navigation / manipulation.

I use this quite a bit when working with layered files in The GIMP, since there the windows are not modal. Switching focus to the layers window means losing focus on the canvas, meaning that in order to continue after the layers stack adjustment, one must click back on the canvas window to return focus to it. Using the shortcuts can manipulate the stack without passing focus from the canvas.

Now, I understand that the focus issue is not a problem with PDN's parent - child window interface, but I honestly believe it could be useful. Besides, the PgUp and PgDn buttons aren't being used for anything else! Unless you have something special planned, Rick. :wink:

@usedHONDA:

I'm sure he means something such as this:

layers.png

I know I'd like it. :D

Rick has mentioned possibly bringing the layer properties out into the layers window when it is rewritten, but there's no ETA, and no guarantee.

~ Becoming the Archetype

Please don't mess with [PgUp] and [PgDn]. I use them all the time! When zoomed in, they scroll the canvas up and down one screen at a time.

However, I totally support moving the blending mode and opacity out into the layer window. (Love the mockup, CMD!)

PgUp and PgDn are just dying to be messed with! You ain't the boss-a them!

However, I do see that handy-ment of their current function. I must admit I was not aware they were doing anything. I thought they were being lazy like me...

I like the mock up too! But I'm not happy with my eyeball... It doesn't look... natural.

~ Becoming the Archetype

i sometimes find myself pushing the up and down arrows on my keyboard to try and switch between layers cause it just makes sense that thats the way it should be. I really hope we can get this in the newer version.

EDIT: another thing that needs a little attention is when you merge a layer down it takes on the opacity and blending mode of the layer its being merged with.

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

I like the mock up too! But I'm not happy with my eyeball... It doesn't look... natural.

Lose it. I like the visibility check box right where it is.

It would be nice, however, if you changed it into a Lock. So that you could lock a layer from accidental changes.

No, they eyeball just delineates that that row of checkboxes is for layer visibility. That (the visibility checkbox being just a checkbox with nothing indicating why it was there or what it did) was actually in my first ever critique of PDN, way back on the old forum.

Ahh, those were the days... :)

But yeah, if I were class president, there's a bunch of stuff I'd add to the Layers window: Layer locking, layer linking, layer transparency locking, layer masks, bla bla bla bla bla...

If only time grew on trees...

~ Becoming the Archetype

New suggestions (or I haven't find any previous like these)!

Right-Click on the Add Layer Icon should insert the new layer just before (or after) the active layer instead of the top of the list!

Right-Click on the Duplicate Layer Icon should duplicate the layer and place it on the top (instead just before the active layer)!

Right-Click on the up/down arrow should move the layer to the top/bottom of the list at once!

Yes MadJik, but none of those are what we could call discoverable: you either have to already know about them, be psychic, or read the manual. Which means about 0.001% of people will ever benefit.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Perhaps then, so we don't interfere with BoltBait, you could leave PgUp and PgDn alone, and use [shift]+[PgUp / PgDn] for layer navigation (selecting next / previous layer) and use [Crtl]+[PgUp / PgDn] for layer stack manipulation (moving current layer up / down).

That way, you could put the stack navigation / manipulation commands in the Layers dropdown menu along with their keyboard shortcuts. That would make them significantly more discoverable. :)

~ Becoming the Archetype