Old SOTW discussion thread *depricated*

There were 7 'man-made' wonders of the world announced on 07-07-07.

Voting is now underway regarding the 7 'natural' wonders of the world to be announced on 08-08-08.

So, SOTW #7 could be based on the recently announced 7 'man-made' wonders of the world.

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

Alrighty guys, I've been thinking, and BuzzKill's concern only reaffirmed it:

Is there anything we can do to increase the number of people who compete in / vote for these things?

SOTW#5 was piddly, with only 11 total votes cast. With so few people voting, we almost has a tie for first. SOTW#6 was better, with 16 people casting their votes, but still we ended up with a tie for second. So my two questions are:

1) Are people still interested in competing in a SOTW contest?

I understand that sometimes people get busy. It's happened to me before plenty of times. I don't expect everyone to compete every week, but there seems to be a general lack of interest of late. If people still want to do 'em, I'll keep making 'em.

2) Is the current voting process too difficult?

I realize that sending in a PM isn't exactly difficult, but it does require a bit more effort than voting in a poll. I tried to make this somewhat simpler by adding a "Send your vote to CMD" link in the last post of the comp thread. My hope was to be able to use the Query String to pass over the subject line so that was one less thing the people had to enter, but I don't think they allow that. I tried a few variable names, all to no avail.

I'm considering alternatives, such as using my server to set up a voting form (I promise I won't skew the results :wink:), where all one would have to do is enter their forum user name and click a radio button for the winner. The problem therein is the difficulty of user validation. What, other than my general penchant for honesty, is there to keep me from filling out everyone's vote for my entry, entering BoltBait, usedHONDA, BuzzKill, barkbark00, Ash, Ed Harvey, et cetera as the user name each time? (IP logging and 1 vote per IP restriction, perhaps.)

If you guys want this to be easier, I'll try an come up with a way. If you think you know how to make it easier, tell me! I promise I won't make fun of you or your idea.

Cheers, and happy happy!

CMDan

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

You summarized very well the situation.

It's the old "why only 10 people are active" subject, a PHPBB poll will be nice for "shy" users, it's not that sending a PM is difficult, but you have to interact with a user, enter in his private bubble in some sort.

You know what I mean? You become part of the community.

I think any anti-cheat system will be useless, who will cheat such a contest?

No. Way. I've just seen Bob. And... *poof!*—just like that—he disappears into the mist again. ~Helio

I think the "Send your vote to CMD" link is the way to go. It's by far the easiest way to ask for, and provide a means for, people to vote.

Asking people to go off-site in order to vote may not appeal to some as it would involve more steps to be taken.

I think ease and simplicity is the way to go...

EDIT: Bob does provide some good reasoning about the shyness and interaction aspect of voting, though.

BK_BloodSaw_sig.png

- DO NOT contact me asking for the .pdn of my avatar or the PDN logo. Thank you. Have a nice day.

Who would want to hack a free game? Still, WET is one of the most hacked games in the world.

This is for saying, even though we may think people are intelligent, most people are so lazy sending a PM can seem difficult for them.

I think the best would be to act just like with young children. Make something interactive to get them interested.

WW3tz.jpg

"Ah, i love it when huge pineapples try to take over the world, it makes me sentimental :')"

-Stephan

I understand that sometimes people get busy. It's happened to me before plenty of times. I don't expect everyone to compete every week, but there seems to be a general lack of interest of late. If people still want to do 'em, I'll keep making 'em.

Have contest, will enter.

xZYt6wl.png

ambigram signature by Kemaru

[i write plugins and stuff]

If you like a post, upvote it!

Have contest, will enter.

I second that. Keep going!

hey guys sorry i kinda started this thing then dropped out but i've just been extremely busy, I'll try my best to get something entered into the next one. Also when im able I can take back responsibilty for getting things together unless of course CMD doesnt want to hand em back over haha

Puteulanus___Jake2k_by_Club_PaintDotNET.png

^Click to visit my Flickr Gallery^

Alright, we have Jerbert, Calvin & Hobbes, Dog-Days of summer, and the 7 new wonders of the world.

I'm actually thinking the 7 new wonders is a really great idea, but Jerbert is very near and dear to my heart... :D

~ Becoming the Archetype

With it being SOTW #7 I think it would be quite poignant to do the seven wonders of the world.

It could be based on 'NEW' seven wonders as recently determined in a global vote:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_Seven_Wonders_of_the_World

However, Jerberet was a long-time front-runner for SOTW #6; passed over for Friday 13th (my suggestion after being victorious n SOTW #5).

As is tradition, the ultimate decision lies with CMD as winner of SOTW #6.

@CMD - If it's to be Jerbert, what would the rules be? New Jerbert family members? Jerbert Fun Facts? As you say, Jerbert is very near and dear. Would you have any do's & don'ts about what we can do with/to your creation?

PKRM.png

PKRG.pngPKRT.pngPKRD.pngPKRP.png

• 2 weeks later...

Hey! Thanks for bringing it back to the front page for me! :)

I was just about to go searching for it myself to let everyone know... :wink:

So yeah, I apologize, guys. I've been busy myself, and making the new SOTW just wasn't the highest thing on my list. That being said, THERE'S A NEW ONE UP!!!

Look look look look!!!!

Enjoi!

~ Becoming the Archetype