Resizing

Hello,

I'm still pretty new, I'm in a band and I made a banner/back drop that goes up behind us while were playing with our band name. The problem is when i try to resize it its all blurry. The size I need is 8ft long and 6ft wide. How do I go about doing this so the image stays sharp. I'll attach the file so you can take a look at it. The graphics shop said i need to save it in some format so they can make it as big as they want and it not get blurry. I'm not sure what they mean, like I said I saved it in JPEG form and when they blew it up oh man it just looked awful. Thanx for you time.

post-82878-130371548967_thumb.jpg

Edited by Ego Eram Reputo
Turned down the volume - please DON'T SHOUT

If i undestand this right, JPEG format discards any details that (according to its specs) the human eye cannot see-- therefore, when you enlarge it to where you could see those details, they aregone, and the picture turns blurry

.PNG format is lossless (i believe) and should be what you need

spacesig.png

SARCASM- Just one of the many services I offer free to the public.

Best way in your situation is using some vector format (and editor)- ps/eps, svg, cdr, etc.

To be honest I have no idea if you can find free editor for vector format.

Vector image can be resized without limits. Bitmap image (jpg/png/bmp, etc.) can not.

Edited by Serissa

Best way in your situation is using some vector format (and editor)- ps/eps, svg, cdr, etc.

To be honest I have no idea if you can find free editor for vector format.

Vector image can be resized without limits. Bitmap image (jpg/png/bmp, etc.) can not.

... inkscape ?

http://inkscape.org

With vector image, it is difficult to obtain gradient like the white shadow under the text.

BTW, with Paint.net (or bitmap images) the best is to create the lastest possible image. It is easier to reduce with good quality than to enlarge...

Raster images will always lose quality when scaling up. As for vector editors, Inkscape is by far the best free option I've found.

If it's not vector already, you'll want to take the background image into Inkscape and do a Bitmap Trace on it to get a vector representation of the raster image. The effect on the image already gives a pretty hard-edged effect, so the vector approximation should be fairly faithful. The glow behind the text is not a problem - SVG blur works the same as your basic Gaussian blur, and it's non-destructive.

I am not a mechanism, I am part of the resistance;

I am an organism, an animal, a creature, I am a beast.

~ Becoming the Archetype

I did it for you :)

In future if you need to edit a title, click on the Edit button under your post, then click on the Use Full Editor button. The full editor will give you a textbox where you can overtype the original thread title.

Try it now so you get used to editing your posts & titles.

Welcome to the forum!