Height Field to Normal Map Textures - Semi-community tutorial

csm725

Today, I will show you how to uncover the great potential of the wonderful Height Field to Normal Map plugin.  

There are many cool textures that can be made with this, including this texture and these.  There are a wide variety of other plugins that can be used to enhance your textures, I will mention them as the tutorial goes along.  Quite obviously, you will need Height Field to Normal Map to follow this tutorial.  Okay.  

On a side note, if there is a step that is repeated through out various textures, I will say for example, see Step 2.5 - which would be step 5 from texture 2.  

TEXTURE #1   

Step 1 - No need to worry about anti-aliasing here, so go ahead and open the good ol' default 800x600 canvas.  

Step 2 - Effects > Render > Clouds @ 250, 0.50, Difference.   

cobble1.png   

Step 3 - Run Height Field to Normal Map at 10.00:

hfm1.png  

Step 4 - New layer and render Clouds at the same settings as 1.2 a couple of times until you get a lightningy-denty effect:   cobble2.png  

Step 5 - Repeat HF/NM (Height Field to Normal Map) at same settings as 1.3.   

Step 6 - Set both of your layers to Black and White (Ctrl-Shift-G) and set the top layer to Overlay. This should be your result:   hfm2.png  

Pretty cool, eh?

TEXTURE #2

Step 1 - 800x600 canvas

Step 2 - Add a new layer and render clouds @ 250, 0.55, Overlay and repeat 5-9 times until you get something of this sort:

hfm3.png

By the way, a combination of this with LJXD's grunge tut = perfecto; an Emboss would do this texture justice, but that's another tut... 

Step 2a - Merge Layer Down so you have only 1 layer.

Step 3 - Height Field to Normal Map @ 7.5-8.0

Step 3a - Depending on your personal taste (which is obviously worse than mine), you can either invert colors or not. Either way, hit Black and White (Ctrl-Shift-G).

Step 4 - ON A NEW LAYER, do step 1.4

Step 5 - Repeat HF/NM.

Step 5a - See 2.3a

Step 6 - Set the top layer's properties to Multiply, Opacity 100.

Step 7 - Emboss top layer at 0.00, this is how it should look like:

hfm4.png

That's all it takes!

BTW more textures coming soon, feel free to post your variation, I encourage you to completely do stupid things using Clouds and HF/NM. The textures that you will get are muy delicioso!

#tut725

Edited by csm725

• 2 months later...

Um. What's the difference between height to normal and just using Emboss/engrave? I've always made textures like these using emboss/engrave and I was wondering if there was a reason for using height to normal...

ndeee2.png

Oh I see...

Ok here's my contribution. This creates a sort of stone wall texture with cracks in it. It looks like this:

str.png

Here's how you do it:

1. Render clouds with the settings in the image (281, 0.43)

st1t.png

2. Render clouds again but this time change blend mode to glow. Repeat effect (ctrl-F) once. Result looks like this:

st2t.png

3. Again render clouds, but this time change the blend mode to multiply - AND RESEED! this is important, if you don't reseed it won't be the same.

st3.png

4. Height to normal with 6,33, then convert to black and white.

st4.png

5. Create a new layer, and render clouds with new settings (110, 0,43, normal):

st5t.png

6. Again height to normal & black and white, ie. Same as step 4. Result looks like this:

st6m.png

7. Set the top layer to overlay, with opacity of 190, then merge the layer down.

st7.png

You're done!

ndeee2.png

• 1 year later...

From the first post, third line down. The link is underlined.

Alternatively you can search for plugins in the Plugin Index (link in my signature)

• 1 month later...

The words are too small... I can't read it... D:

Hold ctrl and scroll up with your mouse wheel (or press ctrl++ a few times)

No, Paint.NET is not spyware...but, installing it is an IQ test. ~BoltBait

Blend modes are like the filling in your sandwich. It's the filling that can change your experience of the sandwich. ~Ego Eram Reputo