An idea feature for Paint.NET.

I have an idea for a new feature for Paint.NET.

Could you add stuff for the Text Tool like the following stuff below:

making text bars to make typing more easier

formatting the shape of texts like Word Art in Microsoft Word

make one letter/number/word have 1 color? Example: This color is red.

changing the lines/fills of the letters/numbers

Filling in text with gradients and other BGs for the text

I would be very happy if you did. :)

The features you requested are not exactly coming anytime soon, but I do believe they are being highly considered. :wink:

---- Gallery | Sig Tutorial | deviantART | Sig Videos | PhotoBucket ----

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Whoa!

Paint.NET is rolled out with LOADS of new features and functionality in each revision. These features are not just thrown in - they are researched, implimented and thoroughly tested before each new version of PDN is released.

For example, have a look at this thread regarding changes in the font support: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30190&start=0

For a better understanding of how PDN is developed, I recommend reading this Paint.Net Blog

Every time I get a upgrade on Paint.NET, they still have the same features. Nothing ever gets upgraded. What's up with that?

Even if that WAS true, you got to remember Rick is just one guy. :wink: It's amazing how far he has improved PdN.

D                  E                  S                  T                  I                 N                  Y

Whoa!

Paint.NET is rolled out with LOADS of new features and functionality in each revision. These features are not just thrown in - they are researched, implemented and thoroughly tested before each new version of PDN is released.

For example, have a look at this thread regarding changes in the font support: viewtopic.php?f=46&t=30190&start=0

For a better understanding of how PDN is developed, I recommend reading this Paint.Net Blog

Yeah, well, nothing's changed that much during the past couple of updates/upgrades. I still see everything is the same in my Paint.NET Program. Care to explain?

Every time I get a upgrade on Paint.NET, they still have the same features. Nothing ever gets upgraded. What's up with that?

Even if that WAS true, you got to remember Rick is just one guy. :wink: It's amazing how far he has improved PdN.

Well, I kinda like to hear what he has to say. If anyone should have a say about my idea for Paint.NET, it should be Ricky himself.

Well, I kinda like to hear what he has to say. If anyone should have a say about my idea for Paint.NET, it should be Ricky himself.

From the way you asked, I don't think you wanna hear what Rick has to say.

I could also answer your: what's up with that?

But I'll leave it to Rick.

The_next_thousand_words_by_0_ASH_0.png

All creations Ash + Paint.NET [ Googlepage | deviantArt | Club PDN | PDN Fan ]

Yeah, well, nothing's changed that much during the past couple of updates/upgrades. I still see everything is the same in my Paint.NET Program.

From the blog I pointed you to (http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/08/26/pai ... available/):

List of changes (3.36):

Improved: Effect rendering should be a little faster now.

Changed: Implemented some changes to the "Add Noise" effect that were suggested by a forum member.

Changed: The canvas background color is now always #c0c0c0.

Changed: The auto-updater should now correctly detect .NET 3.5 and newer, which will help to save bandwidth when Paint.NET v4.0 is released (it will require .NET 3.5).

Fixed: Paint.NET now works on a system that has the .NET 3.5 SP1 "Client Profile" installed.

Fixed: When zoomed in and the cursor is to the top-left of the image (negative coordinates), the ruler is now highlighted in the correct area. Fixed: The effect rendering system no longer sets the "Tag" property on the configuration dialog.

Fixed: Some incorrectly authored plugins would cause a crash when loading their support details (author, copyright, etc.).

Fixed: There was a bug in the color wheel for IndirectUI that caused it to show the wrong values at initialization.

Fixed: There was a performance problem for effects that used the IndirectUI color wheel control.

Fixed: In some rare cases, Paint.NET would crash while shutting down.

Fixed: When using the "Fixed Ratio" feature of the Rectangle Selection tool, it would crash if 0 was specified for both the width and height.

I'm sorry you can't "see" these changes, but believe me they make your experience with PDN immeasurably better. If you have downloaded the preview version of 3.5 you'll find these changes:

Changes since version 3.36:

* Now requires (and uses!) .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

* Significant improvements to the installer. Prerequisites are now handled in a much more user-friendly fashion (it's no longer "go to the Microsoft website and decipher geek talk and download stuff")

* The auto-updater can now download in the background, and then install the update after you've exited Paint.NET. Compare this to v3.36 and earlier that jump in your face and require the download and installation to happen right now, and block you from using the program until it's done!

* New effect: Blurs -> Surface Blur, by Ed Harvey

* New effect: Distort -> Dents, by Ed Harvey

* New effect: Distort -> Crystalize, by Ed Harvey

* The responsiveness of effect dialogs has been greatly improved.

* When zoomed-in, the rendering quality has been substantially improved. http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/12/07/pai ... zoomed-in/

* When zoomed in, it is now much easier to correctly resize or move a selection.

* Improved performance when opening multiple images, especially for systems with only 1 processor. http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/09/11/pai ... humbnails/

* Memory usage has been greatly reduces when more than one image is open.

* The selection outline is no longer animated, which substantially reduces CPU usage. It also uses XOR blending.

* The middle mouse button can now be used to close an image tab

* Improved the Unfocus effect

* Fixed an issue with Gaussian Blur and its treatment of alpha values

* Fixed a crash with the "Units" selector in the toolbar area

* Added a "Utilities" menu, and moved the following menu items there: Check for Updates, Language chooser, and View Plugin Load Errors. For the alpha release, there are also menu items for "Force Crash" and "Perform Full GC" (you'll know what that means if you're a developer -- Otherwise it isn't interesting).

* Installer now has a "Start Paint.NET" checkbox at the end. (On Vista and Win7 with UAC enabled, it will correctly start Paint.NET at non-elevated privilege.)

* Renamed "Grid" to "Pixel Grid", to more accurately describe its functionality.

* The DirectDraw Surface (.DDS) file type now allows you to select the resampling algorithm for auto-generated mip-maps

* Effect plugins now have access to a "Services" property which allows them to properly access certain internal Paint.NET functionality.

* Fixed some very small memory leaks when opening many images

* Russian translation. http://blog.getpaint.net/2009/02/26/rus ... -paintnet/

* A processor that supports SSE is now required (almost all CPU's purchased this decade satisfy this)

Loads of new features huh?

Care to explain?

Drop the attitude.

you've got to be kidding me...

he's only one guy, who happens to work a full-time job and do this in his spare time, and you complain about no updates?

why not offer to pay his salary, just enough so he can quit his real job and devote 100% of his time to Paint.NET?

perhaps you could spend less time complaining, and more time studying up on C# so you can contribute something if you think it's going too slow?

Yeah, well, nothing's changed that much during the past couple of updates/upgrades. I still see everything is the same in my Paint.NET Program.

From the blog I pointed you to (http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/08/26/pai ... available/):

List of changes (3.36):

Improved: Effect rendering should be a little faster now.

Changed: Implemented some changes to the "Add Noise" effect that were suggested by a forum member.

Changed: The canvas background color is now always #c0c0c0.

Changed: The auto-updater should now correctly detect .NET 3.5 and newer, which will help to save bandwidth when Paint.NET v4.0 is released (it will require .NET 3.5).

Fixed: Paint.NET now works on a system that has the .NET 3.5 SP1 "Client Profile" installed.

Fixed: When zoomed in and the cursor is to the top-left of the image (negative coordinates), the ruler is now highlighted in the correct area. Fixed: The effect rendering system no longer sets the "Tag" property on the configuration dialog.

Fixed: Some incorrectly authored plugins would cause a crash when loading their support details (author, copyright, etc.).

Fixed: There was a bug in the color wheel for IndirectUI that caused it to show the wrong values at initialization.

Fixed: There was a performance problem for effects that used the IndirectUI color wheel control.

Fixed: In some rare cases, Paint.NET would crash while shutting down.

Fixed: When using the "Fixed Ratio" feature of the Rectangle Selection tool, it would crash if 0 was specified for both the width and height.

I'm sorry you can't "see" these changes, but believe me they make your experience with PDN immeasurably better. If you have downloaded the preview version of 3.5 you'll find these changes:

Changes since version 3.36:

* Now requires (and uses!) .NET Framework 3.5 SP1.

* Significant improvements to the installer. Prerequisites are now handled in a much more user-friendly fashion (it's no longer "go to the Microsoft website and decipher geek talk and download stuff")

* The auto-updater can now download in the background, and then install the update after you've exited Paint.NET. Compare this to v3.36 and earlier that jump in your face and require the download and installation to happen right now, and block you from using the program until it's done!

* New effect: Blurs -> Surface Blur, by Ed Harvey

* New effect: Distort -> Dents, by Ed Harvey

* New effect: Distort -> Crystalize, by Ed Harvey

* The responsiveness of effect dialogs has been greatly improved.

* When zoomed-in, the rendering quality has been substantially improved. http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/12/07/pai ... zoomed-in/

* When zoomed in, it is now much easier to correctly resize or move a selection.

* Improved performance when opening multiple images, especially for systems with only 1 processor. http://blog.getpaint.net/2008/09/11/pai ... humbnails/

* Memory usage has been greatly reduces when more than one image is open.

* The selection outline is no longer animated, which substantially reduces CPU usage. It also uses XOR blending.

* The middle mouse button can now be used to close an image tab

* Improved the Unfocus effect

* Fixed an issue with Gaussian Blur and its treatment of alpha values

* Fixed a crash with the "Units" selector in the toolbar area

* Added a "Utilities" menu, and moved the following menu items there: Check for Updates, Language chooser, and View Plugin Load Errors. For the alpha release, there are also menu items for "Force Crash" and "Perform Full GC" (you'll know what that means if you're a developer -- Otherwise it isn't interesting).

* Installer now has a "Start Paint.NET" checkbox at the end. (On Vista and Win7 with UAC enabled, it will correctly start Paint.NET at non-elevated privilege.)

* Renamed "Grid" to "Pixel Grid", to more accurately describe its functionality.

* The DirectDraw Surface (.DDS) file type now allows you to select the resampling algorithm for auto-generated mip-maps

* Effect plugins now have access to a "Services" property which allows them to properly access certain internal Paint.NET functionality.

* Fixed some very small memory leaks when opening many images

* Russian translation. http://blog.getpaint.net/2009/02/26/rus ... -paintnet/

* A processor that supports SSE is now required (almost all CPU's purchased this decade satisfy this)

Loads of new features huh?

Care to explain?

Drop the attitude.

I didn't do anything to make you mad. Even I'm not upset. All I'm just saying is that there hasn't been any updates/upgrades/new features to any of the Paint.NET ToolBar's Tools for a LOOOONG time.

Many users have written plugins which enable you to add new effects & features to PDN. There are hundreds available.

So if you're desperate for new toys try here: Plugin Index

Many users have written plugins which enable you to add new effects & features to PDN. There are hundreds available.

So if you're desperate for new toys try here: Plugin Index

Do any of those plug ins come with extended features for the text tool?

Also, Have you mastered all the available tools and effects yet?
have extended text features?

Well, out of 22 of the tools that I used, I have to say... 21. The effects... I do not know.

Do any of those plug ins come with extend features for the text tool?

Well you can use certain plug-ins as an effect on your text, but I don't think there are any plug-ins yet the target in depth text editing.

Example?

Let's just say you can use the Drop Shadow plug-in to give your text a shadow or use the outline plug-in to give your text an outline. There are even ways to make your text have a gradient without any plug-ins. It's just not a built-in feature.

Can I make the outline any color I want?

Well I believe there are two outline plug-ins. One uses your primary color as the color of your border and the other lets you use the color's name or Hex Code. So yes, you can use any color you want. :wink:

They also let you adjust the strength of the border and it's width.

Can I make the outline any color I want?

Well I believe there are two outline plug-ins. One uses your primary color as the color of your border and the other lets you use the color's name or Hex Code. So yes, you can use any color you want. :wink:

They also let you adjust the strength of the border and it's width.

Can you show me the download link to the plug in?

Shredder's got the links right. In the future, check out the Plug-in Index to look for plug-ins:

http://paintdotnet.forumer.com/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=30570

If anyone should have a say about my idea for Paint.NET, it should be Ricky himself.

Don't call me Ricky.

3.5 is just taking longer than expected. There are substantial improvements to performance and stability. You can go check out the alpha in the Paint.NET v3.5 Preview Center part of the forum.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Outline Object #1 --> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=5715

Outline Object #2 --> viewtopic.php?f=16&t=22819

Thanks, man. That solves my outline problems. But now there's only one problem left: I don't suppose you have any plug ins that can allow you to change the shape of your text like the Word Art Shape Tool like in Microsoft Word.

If anyone should have a say about my idea for Paint.NET, it should be Ricky himself.

Don't call me Ricky.

3.5 is just taking longer than expected. There are substantial improvements to performance and stability. You can go check out the alpha in the Paint.NET v3.5 Preview Center part of the forum.

It's ok. I can wait. I'm just making a useful suggestion for Paint.NET. BTW, does anyone know how to install plug ins to Paint.NET?

...does anyone know how to install plug ins to Paint.NET?
How To Install Plugins

Thanks. But I got that covered.

But do you know what kind of :TextTool: plug ins that you have that can allow you to make text boxes, only make one of the letters/numbers/symbols have only one color, and allow you to change the shape of the text like in Adobe Photoshop and like in Word Art in Microsoft Word?