Blast’s Art Gallery - Character Design, Drawings, Images, and Whatnots

BlastOfBN

Hi! I'm a Paint.NET who's been using PDN since Early 2020, yet I've learned so much in the course of 3.5 years!

Now I'm no stranger to art, as I've been drawing stuff since I was about eight years old. I made a lot of comics with my elementary school friends during that time.

Starting off with the expression sheet of my little rabbit avatar, Carter:
The Many Faces of Carter

I drew these using geometrical shapes, primarily crescents.

Edited by BlastOfBN
Spacing issue
  • Like 3
  • Upvote 2

PDN Forums Signature 2.png

Those are soooo cute at @BlastOfBN  Neat that you have your own emojis. They look great!  ☺️

• Thanks 1

This is Heather, the main character I made for a cartoon me and several others are working on.Heather-PDN-Forums-Preview.png

The art style I use for her was primarily inspired by "kawaii culture" things, such as Sanrio. Also, while I was making that yawning image of her, I yawned about 6 times during the process. And I'm yawning as I'm writing this very sentence. Probably because my room is very tranquilizing in nature...

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

This is Shayla, Heather's sidekick, ally, and best friend.
Shalya-PDN-Forums-Preview.png
After I had created Heather, I wanted her to have a best friend of some sort. Well from there, the Heather & Shayla series took off when this lil' doggy entered the picture...

(please don't read the file name... I named it "Shalya PDN Forums Preview", misspelling Shayla as "Shalya" and it's really embarrassing...)

• Like 2
  • Hugs 1

This is Cody. A character I refer to as "The First Heather & Shayla Male Character", and "The Guy Who Had No Name Until Like a Week or Two Later" (he didn't have a name at first, because I didn't know what to name him).
Cody-PDN-Forums-Preview.png
This is a character whose design is something that I'm not all that proud of. Possibly due to his exaggerated height, or the fact that his face just doesn't sit right with me. Although some people have claimed that I wasn't appreciating this guy at all, and that there is something to like about him. What exactly is it...?

• Like 2

@lynxster4
Yes...

Animation is actually something I've been wanting to do ever since I was about eight or nine. And when I turned twelve, I finally got into it... because I dug up my Nintendo DSi and made a 14-second Flipnote with Flipnote Studio. Anyone remember Flipnote Hatena?

At the current moment of Heather & Shayla's development, there's actually a pilot episode I'm working on, which I'd say is about 47% complete.

I think he's adorable @BlastOfBN.  Don't be too critical of yourself...all these characters are wonderful! 😻

• Thanks 1

Now we're getting to when the lore started to go deeper...
This is Olivia, a character whose personality since her inception is primarily based on her enthusiasm for ballet, and is also rather childish at times. Her voice actor just so happens to also share the exact same first name!
Olivia-PDN-Forums-Preview.png
I wanted to focus more on the secondary characters around the time I had created her, as a way of building a cast for the Heather & Shayla series.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

This is Cindy! I'm using exclamation points in my sentences because this one's a fan favorite! Even being a favorite of mine! Am I being too loud?!
Cindy-Paint-NET-Forums-Preview.png

I wanted to add a fox to the lineup of our favorite little furballs, and my first idea was to name this character "Holly". But as I was typing something Cody-related before I got to making her for the first time, I misspelled Cody's name as "Cidy", which upon seeing that, it reminded me a lot of the name "Cindy", so I had went with that name for this character. If it wasn't for that typo, who knows where we would be?

• Like 1
  • Hooray 1

@BlastOfBN I can see you have this 'series' well-thought-out.  Bravo!  You should pitch this somewhere...  😄

• 2 weeks later...

On the topic of Heather & Shayla's branding, I already have a brand-new logo not seen anywhere else on the Web...

Except I'm not sure which one to use as a primary logo, really.

Earlier this year, I had first created this version to be a launch logo when Heather & Shayla is truly ready for showtime...
Heather-Shayla-Logo-V3.png
But I had then created a more advanced version of the logo, with shading and highlighting, giving it more of a 3D look later this year, which does feel more energetic (thank you @BoltBait!).
Heather-Shayla-Logo-V3-GFX.png

Personally, I use the version with the 3D effects when the logo is at a large size, and I opt for the more simplified version of the logo when it's at a small size.

…Oh! And by the way, the logo that is currently being phased out is this one:
Heather-Shayla-Logo-V2-2022-base.png
It's been used since mid 2021, which is why it looks much less professional. Straight curves wasn't a Paint.NET feature in 2021, which is what lead to the edges of the geometry looking quite strange. I would find a workaround for that a year later though... until 5.0 came along.

• Like 2

@BlastOfBN  I like the 3D one also, except I would drop the shadow effects on the background shape and keep it on the lettering.

My opinion only... great job!  ☺️👍

More on the topic of the background and behind-the-scenes of Heather & Shayla, Heather has indeed changed as time went on, slowly prepping herself for "showtime" (AKA, series premiere).
Evolution-of-Heather.png

As a character who was originally created for a school project, I eventually saw more potential in her, and decided to give her the greenlight, which brings us to today.

Additional Info: Earlier designs of Heather looked clunky as I was still learning Paint.NET. Those first two weren't even made with PDN. Those were MS Paint drawings made with a school computer, not the big-boy machine that I call my aging computer (I've had it for 7 years, and the thing has been losing its edge since 2020 or so. No, it isn't Paint.NET's fault. I promise).

• Like 1
  • Hooray 1