Previous Versions

Hi, was wondering why older versions are not available for download.

I have read the rules and referring to #8, I am not asking for a download link & referring to rule #7, am not asking for support, I am simply asking why the decision has been made to not leave the option to download older versions.

Thank you for reading, please reply.

~ Highlandword9

There is always a very high chance that older versions of PDN won't be compatible with the current plugins, therefore any assistance or support on this forum would not be available to you, almost any software developers prefer you to have the latest version installed.

• Upvote 1

BREtKQW.png

Yeah the way forward is to fix things for the next update, not to go backwards. If you revert to an older version the instant you see (or think you see) a problem, it actively prevents the problem from getting fixed.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

Thanks guys for the info.

& replying to @Tactilis my dad has some old software that needs Win7 to run but the newer versions of PDN are incompatible.

And to be fair he's not too bothered about bugs in PDN he'll get used to them ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ just like he's using his old buggy software to his advantage by using the bugs to speed up his work.

Edited by Highlandword9

1 hour ago, Highlandword9 said:

my dad has some old software that needs Win7 to run
he's using his old buggy software to his advantage by using the bugs to speed up his work.

That seems like a slightly odd comment to make - but we don't know what the "old software" is or what the advantageous bugs are.

Although this is not a Paint.NET issue, your dad could try running his old software on an up to date version of Windows using Win 7 compatibility mode.

Right-click the .exe and select Properties | Compatibility

image.png.0129fd22b88b6c134402cc68e76e62d9.png

• 8 months later...

I just want to say I'm pissed about having to go to a sketchy virus-laden third-party download source for a version of Paint.NET that works on Win8.1. This is a specialized rig, not a daily driver machine. Updating the OS is not an option for me in the context I need it because of certain software compatibilities.

Please consider keeping at least one old version hosted here that is safe and works with old OSes. Even if it's with a disclaimer that it's as-is and doesn't have any support. 

2 hours ago, xoxococo said:

I just want to say I'm pissed about having to go to a sketchy virus-laden third-party download source for a version of Paint.NET that works on Win8.1. This is a specialized rig, not a daily driver machine. Updating the OS is not an option for me in the context I need it because of certain software compatibilities.

It is not a good idea to be using a Windows 8.1 computer that is connected to the Internet. Microsoft stopped providing security updates for that operating system on January 10, 2023.

The forum rules prohibit providing links to older versions of Paint.NET.

On 2/7/2007 at 11:40 AM, Rick Brewster said:

8) Do not ask for older versions of Paint.NET. This is a corollary to #7, but I'm spelling it out separately anyway. We will not provide download links for them -- you are on your own to find them (hint: try a search engine). Along with this, don't ask about Windows 2000 (or XP, Vista, 7, 8, or 8.1) support. Seriously. You may think you have some new question or insight, and that's definitely possible, but this is not something that will be added back in to a future release of Paint.NET. End of discussion. If you want to complain about this, then don't talk about it here -- just write on your blog or talk to your therapist or something instead, please.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

• null54 locked this topic
13 hours ago, xoxococo said:

I just want to say I'm pissed about having to go to a sketchy virus-laden third-party download source for a version of Paint.NET that works on Win8.1.

No one's forcing you to do anything. 

This is a specialized rig, not a daily driver machine. Updating the OS is not an option for me in the context I need it because of certain software compatibilities.

Then the problem isn't with Paint.NET, it's with your other software or hardware configuration. You can't blame Paint.NET here, that's just silly. You have had over 8 years to update your OS to something like Windows 10, and to upgrade/update/rewrite or find alternatives for your other software, and you have chosen not too. That isn't our problem.

Please consider keeping at least one old version hosted here that is safe and works with old OSes. Even if it's with a disclaimer that it's as-is and doesn't have any support. 

No, because that's literally supporting older versions of the app and unsupported OSes. Put another way, it's already been considered and decided against. This policy will not be changing.

You're demanding that we support your use of an older version of the app on an older, outdated, unsupported version of Windows. Sorry but you don't get to make demands like that. Our time is our time, not your time.

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg