Making glass buttons

BuzzKill

I like this tutorial. I've had a problem with creating the glow effect around buttons. Similar to the control buttons at the top right of the web page. I'd like to be able to use them in my calendars. Any suggestions? Or perhaps there is another tutorial you can refer me to. Thanks in advance.

Exactly. The buttons I normally make are bland to say the least. The background glow effect I tried before was a dismal failure. Now that I'm learning with PDN it seems to me that such an effect should be fairly easy. Any suggestions as to how to go about it. BTW...I found the button maker in effects\render\buttons. I'm gonna go play with it now...he he.

If it is only around the border the Bevel Selection will do it, change the bevel color to white and monkey around with the depth slider.

EDIT:

This is bevel selection all the way around the edge of a red square.

th_redb.png

Edited by Martel
martelshiney300-1.pngbleeping12.png

• 9 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi everyone... i used the second button instruction,

but i can't open the link to Tom's Lab.... my fault maybe?

4.) In the Colors window, set the primary color's transparency-alpha to 0 (zero). Open up Tom's Code Lab and load SearedIce's Transparent Fade script. You can get Tom's Code Lab here: http://paintdotnet.1...rumer.com/viewt ... ight=#5120 .

Edited by Flyer1

Ah, right. Very old link. It refers to Codelab which is a plugin for Paint.net that allows you to create other plugins (effects).

In all honesty, codelab is a bit of overkill for this tutorial. Try using the regular gradient tool:

1. Set primary color to your bolder color.

2. Set the secondary color set to your weaker color.

3. Select the gradient tool :GradientTool: and pull a linear gradient :LinearClampedGradient: from the top of the canvas to the bottom.

How does that work for you?

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for my late reaction, i've been very busy last few days.

Thx so much, i am going to try this today, i'll be back and of the day

with 'my report' haha!

grtz

Ah, right. Very old link. It refers to Codelab which is a plugin for Paint.net that allows you to create other plugins (effects).

In all honesty, codelab is a bit of overkill for this tutorial. Try using the regular gradient tool:

1. Set primary color to your bolder color.

2. Set the secondary color set to your weaker color.

3. Select the gradient tool :GradientTool: and pull a linear gradient :LinearClampedGradient: from the top of the canvas to the bottom.

How does that work for you?

Sorry, but it doesn't work at all for me, though it makes an effect, it really isn't the one as shiny and

luxurious as i was looking for. Much to simple appearance.

Could you provide me perhaps with a working link to the codelab? I dit already pull one codelab.dll from

the net, but it doesn't start a environment or control panel, just a textblock without any possibilities or settingschoice...

It appears to me, that the original link was too long to show in the full link, and was cut off by the three dots ...

after the dots, there was still a word left, in that full-url. but i cannont recreate or restore the full link unfortunately!!

Grtz Flyer

There's a link in my signature....,

• 8 months later...

I like the tut, but I noticed that using a lower px radius (3) of Gaussian Blur was better than what you had in the first tut. This is because of the size of the button I wanted to make.

• 1 month later...

A good tutorial. I like the second one but the color is less bright, how about if it replaced a brighter blue color.

Thanks for the tutorial, it will be my inspiration in the work.

Edited by rizal23

• 7 months later...

In the Colors window, set the primary color's transparency-alpha to 0 (zero). Open up Tom's Code Lab and load SearedIce's Transparent Fade script. You can get Tom's Code Lab here: http://paintdotnet.12.forumer.com/viewt ... ight=#5120 . You'll notice that the layer faded from transparent to opaque, top to bottom. If you would have set the secondary color's alpha to 0 and not the primary, the layer would have faded from opaque to transparent, top to bottom. OPTIONAL... before you click "OK" in Code Lab, go ahead and name the script (something like... TransparentFade), and click "Make DLL". This will save the effect .dll in the correct place (Program Files/Paint.NET/Effects) so the next time you load Paint.NET, it will show up under the "Effects" menu. After you made the .dll (if you chose to) go ahead and click "OK" in Code Lab.

i can not find the item highlighted in red. does anyone have any ideas please

• Ego Eram Reputo featured this topic