Making glass buttons

BuzzKill

Here's my attempts:

boto1pu0.jpg

boto1pu0.th.jpg

This is also me trying to take it out the red rounder rectangle!!! I know nothing of image programs. Anybody can help me with the last steps?

P.S. I also would like to know how to make the litle white reflexion that the original picture has and I figure it's essencial to achieve glass effect? Is it before a Gaussian Blur? Do it on a new layer or what? Treat me like the dummest < no swearing > on earth, don't spare me as I had to do it twice just to figure I had to press enter after using the move cut pixels tool...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi

New to Paint.net, but looking forward to learning the ropes. I started the tutorial and only ran into trouble on the second or third instruction;

by fill, do you mean with the paint bucket tool?

I used this, then on the next step, to create a rectangle in the lower third of the original rectangle and create the Gaussian blur, nothing happened.

Also, where do I set the color so it is not 100%?

Can you suggest any real basic tutorials so I can get this stuff out of the way?

Thanks

awesome tutorial, its given me a grasp on making buttons so far and i will continue to experiment. what i would like to know is after i do make the shape illustrated, i still see part of the canvas in the corners. it says to erase it and i am unable to do it. what am i missing?

how do I set a color value?

EDIT: nvm awful tutorials hard to follow skips a lot of steps i think it would be easier to try to figure it out by my self

it says to erase it and i am unable to do it. what am i missing?
Have you flattened your image, or are you trying to effect the deletion on a layer that doesn't have the corners to delete?

the image has been flattened. just that the shape of the button leaves the canvas exposed. i have seen examples on this thread where i do not see it visible but have seen a couple where it is still there.

Well, I followed all of your instructions, but I added a bit at the end. I didn't want my edges to look so sharp, so I made a border with my pink, then I used a gaussian blur. It looks weird but I was just experimenting...so what the heck? Here's mine:

2zzkgtx.jpg

newsigisamazing.png

Whichever color you choose, avoid having the "Value" of that color set to maximum (100) as we will be using it in the next step for a gradient.

I'm not this experienced in PDN yet, so please could you explain kind of step by step what you mean by that? Is there an option to choose "100%" (or less) of a color, and if so: where? :oops:

Edit: I did it nonetheless -- just choosing the blue slightly lighter than the darker one (using the "S" slider and setting it to a value of 83 in the amplified color wheel window. Was that what you meant to say?)

Anyway, now here it is .. I see the flaws on which I still have to work (e.g. getting that line nubs into a more centered position so the line looks more symmetric..) and also I should have used feather once more (I used it just once) to get the corners less "pixely" ...but then that was just the first one I ever did, so I forgive myself these little flaws.

r7rkw3.jpg

Whichever color you choose, avoid having the "Value" of that color set to maximum (100) as we will be using it in the next step for a gradient.

I'm not this experienced in PDN yet, so please could you explain kind of step by step what you mean by that? Is there an option to choose "100%" (or less) of a color, and if so: where? :oops:

When you click "more" you can adjust the HSV sliders (HSV means (H)ue, (S)aturation, (V)alue) so when you adjusted the saturation slider it just desaturated it. Lowering the "V" number would basically make it darker.

Oh thanks Curmudgeon! So I did the right thing, kind of instinctively! Thanks for explaining also what HSV stands for (English is not my first language, so when I work out a tut, there's also always a considerable portiion of guessing involved...) :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...