Image Cropping

How do I crop an image file to exact inches, vs pixels, while maintaining the original resolution.  I know how to use the crop tool but I can't crop to inches.  Crop first and then try to resize the image, that doesn't make any sense.  I want to crop my images to standard print sizes like 4 x6 and 5 x 7.  What am I doing wrong here, it shouldn't take 3 different actions.

Under the resize drop down menu, if I check absolute size, put in 4 x 6 inches, the image gets distorted.  If I check maintain the aspect ration I can't get the size I need.  actually I don't want to resize the complete original image.  I want to select the 4 x 6 portion of that image.  I hope that all makes sense.

I see that, and I'm already in inches, but I don't get it.  Is there a video somewhere that shows my how to crop to specific inches vs pixels without losing my original resolution?  .  In Photoshop there was a crop tool and you could use with the option of inches or pixels.  It was simple. Thanks for the help your trying to give me but I don't see it

Your resolution or pixel to inch ratio was established when you created your canvas or when the image that you are trying to crop now was loaded to be worked on! Cropping should not alter the resolution, since resolution and image dimension are not the same thing.

Example:

If your PPI (pixels per inch) was set to 300 and you image dimension are 8 x 10 inches, if you cropped out a one inch square from that image the resolution of that one inch square would still be 300 ppi, but the dimension of that square would be 1 x 1 inch.

I would not worry about the resolution vs dimension issue. It is handled by the drivers during printing.
A 15k x 21k image file will print to 5x7 just fine, but if you are trying to make a 5 x 7 fit into a 4 x 5 format, 
there will be no perfect fit for those are not proportional aspect ratios, and no amount if tinkering with dimensions and ppi settings will make that fit work precisely!

BTW:
Cropping and resizing are not the same thing either!

Edited by HyReZ
to add more information

I understand how the resolution effects the image and printing quality.  That really isn't my question if you refer back to my original post.  I guess I'm not asking the question clearly so we can stop at this point.  I think I'll purchase Photoshop Elements, that program makes more sense to me. I do appreciate everyone taking the time to try to explain it to me.  It's me it's not you.

5 hours ago, Bill Regez said:

I want to select the 4 x 6 portion of that image.

The rectangle selection tool has a "Fixed Size" option in the toolbar, see https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/RectangleSelectionTool.html#3.

You can then use the Crop to Selection option in the Image menu, see https://www.getpaint.net/doc/latest/ImageMenu.html#2.

28 minutes ago, toe_head2001 said:

I still don't understand your question.  Good luck to you and to your future communications.  :)

I think the OP is trying to select a 4x6 inch portion of the image and crop to that selection.

• Upvote 1

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait

On 3/6/2020 at 7:25 PM, null54 said:

I think the OP is trying to select a 4x6 inch portion of the image and crop to that selection.

I think that you are correct!

It is unfortunate that they felt justified to bale rather than provide clarification,

but I produced an illustration to aid others that may have a similar query:

Cropping_In_PDN[1].jpg

Edited by HyReZ

22 hours ago, Bill Regez said:

I know how to use the crop tool but I can't crop to inches. 

@Bill Regez already stated that he knew how to use the Crop Tool.

30b8T8B.gif

How I made Jennifer & Halle in Paint.net

My Gallery | My Deviant Art

"Rescuing one animal may not change the world, but for that animal their world is changed forever!" anon.

On 3/6/2020 at 11:56 AM, Bill Regez said:

How do I crop an image file to exact inches, vs pixels, while maintaining the original resolution.

Did I read this correctly this time?

BTW:
This is a quote from my previous comment,

"I produced an illustration to aid others that may have a similar query."

Edited by HyReZ

• 1 year later...