[Help] Line gradient as offset outside of a shape?

I have to say first the title is really bad, I had no idea how to name it. So if everyone has a better name for it, please say so.

Let's assume I have some weird shape like this:

image.thumb.png.8507742d9b130f3c23922738ed87384a.png

Is there an easy way to create a linear gradient, from white to transparent, from an edge, outside?

That is, I want a smooth transition between the black area and the white area, if that makes more sense?

Try this plugin Shaped Gradient

If you're just trying to feather the edges, try one of the plugins in my plugin pack.

I even have one that doesn't require transparency to work.  Just use the magic wand to select the white area and use Effects > Selection > Blur selection edge

@Ego Eram Reputo That will create a gradient from a possible shape center outside. The gradient needs to be from the edges outside

@BoltBait I actually already have that plugin, and it looks like a good option - but it seems to use a constant offset, and effectively only "blur" 1 pixel. It doesn't create the gradient I was looking for (from white to transparent), nor can I specify the "length" on which to make it happen

Any other options?