The file is corrupt or was saved with a newer version of paint.net

Ask4

Hi, as I tried to open a .pdn File I worked on before, I run into this error:

Application version: paint.net 4.1.6

System.Runtime.Serialization.SerializationException: Exception thrown by worker thread ---> System.AggregateException: One or more errors occurred. ---> System.IO.InvalidDataException: Block length does not match with its complement.

at System.IO.Compression.Inflater.DecodeUncompressedBlock(Boolean& end_of_block)

at System.IO.Compression.Inflater.Decode()

at System.IO.Compression.Inflater.Inflate(Byte[] bytes, Int32 offset, Int32 length)

at System.IO.Compression.DeflateStream.Read(Byte[] array, Int32 offset, Int32 count)

at PaintDotNet.IO.StreamExtensionsCore.Read(Stream input, Byte* pbBuffer, Int32 length) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\IO\StreamExtensionsCore.cs:line 70

at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.DecompressChunk(Byte[] compressedBytes, UInt32 chunkSize, Int64 chunkOffset, DeferredFormatter deferredFormatter) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\MemoryBlock.cs:line 615

at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.<>c__DisplayClass46_1.<PaintDotNet.Serialization.IDeferredSerializable.FinishDeserialization>b__0() in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\MemoryBlock.cs:line 693

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.Execute()

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at System.Threading.Tasks.Task.WaitAll(Task[] tasks, Int32 millisecondsTimeout, CancellationToken cancellationToken)

at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.PaintDotNet.Serialization.IDeferredSerializable.FinishDeserialization(Stream input, DeferredFormatter formatter) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\MemoryBlock.cs:line 646

--- End of inner exception stack trace ---

at PaintDotNet.MemoryBlock.PaintDotNet.Serialization.IDeferredSerializable.FinishDeserialization(Stream input, DeferredFormatter formatter) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\MemoryBlock.cs:line 711

at PaintDotNet.Serialization.DeferredFormatter.FinishDeserialization(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Core\Serialization\DeferredFormatter.cs:line 139

at PaintDotNet.Document.FromStream(Stream stream) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\Document.cs:line 1443

at PaintDotNet.FileType.Load(Stream input) in D:\src\pdn\src\Data\FileType.cs:line 496

at PaintDotNet.Functional.Func.Eval[T1,TRet](Func`2 f, T1 arg1) in D:\src\pdn\src\Base\Functional\Func.cs:line 158

Is there a way for me, to somehow repair this? It would be really sad if I lost many hours of work

Edited by Ask4

Hello @Ask4 Welcome to the forum :)

You said it yourself in the title, the file is corrupt :(

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done. This is why you should always make backups. If you're really desperate, upload the file and let some of the tech-heads here see if anything can be recovered.

You should update paint.net to the latest version, but I don't think that's going to change the problem.

My only other thought: is there any chance you've misnamed the file as a PDN?

1 hour ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

My only other thought: is there any chance you've misnamed the file as a PDN?

Unlikely ... if the app got that far into decoding, then the file is tagged as PDN3 at the start and has a valid header and .NET serialization stream.

Application version: paint.net 4.1.6

Also, make sure you install the latest version, which is 4.2.5. That's very important!

The Paint.NET Blog: https://blog.getpaint.net/

Donations are always appreciated! https://www.getpaint.net/donate.html

forumSig_bmwE60.jpg

2 hours ago, Ego Eram Reputo said:

Hello @Ask4 Welcome to the forum

Thank you! It's nice to be here 😊

Unfortunately, there is very little that can be done. This is why you should always make backups. If you're really desperate, upload the file and let some of the tech-heads here see if anything can be recovered.

This is the File, I thought maybe there were only a few corrupted sections, because the most of the code is still there.

It would be very nice if someone could look over it.

I put it in my Cloud, because the file is to large for me to upload it here:

https://mega.nz/#!mdQniYpa!Pb5loYYWHHFbQSHd9KmbgZyd3Tx7tTWCfr_Y3G_shYc

You should update paint.net to the latest version, but I don't think that's going to change the problem.

Strangely, the latest version was already installed, I don't know why it copied the old version

I also noticed that the thumbnail in the windows explorer works fine, I don't know if this has anything to do with it

Edited by Ask4

1 hour ago, Ask4 said:

This is the File, I thought maybe there were only a few corrupted sections, because the most of the code is still there.

It would be very nice if someone could look over it.

I was able to read some of the layers using Irfanview with the ImPDN plugin.

I uploaded a zip file with the extracted layers:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/afgnmcjnl3plcoe/Extracted%20PDN%20layers.zip?dl=1

1 hour ago, Ask4 said:

I also noticed that the thumbnail in the windows explorer works fine, I don't know if this has anything to do with it

The thumbnail is a PNG image that is located in a different part of the file than the layer data.

• Upvote 2

PdnSig.png

Plugin Pack | PSFilterPdn | Content Aware Fill | G'MICPaint Shop Pro Filetype | RAW Filetype | WebP Filetype

The small increase in performance you get coding in C++ over C# is hardly enough to offset the headache of coding in the C++ language. ~BoltBait